Patch v1.3.7.0.1377 is Live

Yes! Pillars of Eternity!! ❤️

Very minor thing, but while we're aggregating a wishlist... would it be possible to add a title screen selection drop-down to the game options? Something to let us choose between the original title screen and the updated one from White March?

The White March one is cool, but I like the original.

• Like 2

Some time ago, I encountered a serious bug. After some time in the game, around Act 3, many effects begin to break and do not disappear until the end of the fight. Some remain after the end of the battle. Some of them are harmless, like Hobbled and Blinded. At the same time, endless Prone, Stuck, Maggots can easily finish your playthrough. Could you fix it?

https://imgur.com/V4jC3mV

https://imgur.com/1YZQ8JS

https://imgur.com/lFNI37Z

https://imgur.com/Ns9QVO6

33f1721555e95eb8eebde2af34e79cc1ec8f5731

EDIT: I'm not sure if it wasn't fixed already, but Second Wind from Athletics causes damage instead of healing to the character while Battle-Forged ability (fire godlike racial) is active.

Edited by Silvaren

giphy.gif

On 1/5/2024 at 6:06 PM, NCarver said:

Hey folks,

It's great to see so many familiar faces, and new ones too!

Right now we're taking a lot of caution to make sure the game is stable with the unity engine update and we aren't introducing any major new issues. However, I'll make sure we investigate both the trap potency and the cursor flickering issues as well. It'll be great fix up some of those long-time nuisances. 🫡 (and a few others too!)

@callistege - Yes, you should be able to continue your current play-through on the public beta branch. However, please note that the branch is a newer version of the game, and we tend to restrict loading newer saves on older versions, so any save games you make on the public beta won't be valid on the Release branch until the new patch goes live.

Thanks everyone for your support, and if you happen to find anything else you'd like to report feel free to pass them along and we'll do our best to track and work through them!

Would it also be possible to investigate why the mercy option for the sky dragon fight never seems to initiate?  From my understanding its supposed to trigger when it reaches low health and the option is even in the custom history for poe2.

• Like 2

Thank you for the update. There are some significant issues that it seems you haven't addressed. In this forum link, some problems are highlighted:

Points 1, 2, and 3, especially the issues with Damage over Time (DoT) (points 2 and 3), or is the DoT functioning as intended? In that case, it might not be a bug. However, the usefulness of talents related to those DoTs doesn't seem to be significant in most cases.

This is probably one of the most severe bugs in the game. We're talking about this bug that turns 'any enemy, including major bosses (most of them),' into punching bags—something to hit that won't respond.

The 'Cipher' class and the talents:

[Psychic Backlash] and [Brutal Backlash]

The issue -> The talent 'Psychic Backlash' causes any enemy attacking your 'will' defense to be 'Stunned.' So far, so good. The serious problem is that this effect is 'permanent.' It doesn't function just once, as expected, until it reactivates as it should (as in POE2). It's always active.

The issue with this is that bosses are 'permanently Stunned.' They can't even attack; they become sitting ducks waiting for you to destroy them. Many enemies attack your will defense, and the problem worsens when we use the enhancement of this talent, 'Brutal Backlash.' Enemies literally kill themselves thanks to the permanent effect.

I understand some people might enjoy exploiting these issues, but for others, including myself, it's a significant problem. This bug simply made me stop using my favorite class, the Cipher.

Hi,

these are indeed very beautiful news!

Aside from the bug of One-Eyed Molina's Gold-Fingered Spike-Flinger which get malus on attack speed and reload speed instead of bonus on upgrades, and the wrong weapon focus group of weapons of deadfire pack, there's another bug also for Korgrak: if you hire him in Stronghold, he still appear in the cave; furthermore, if you kill the Korgrak version in the cave, he is still present in Caed Nua, can you fix it please?
Thanks and good job!

Hi, longtime fan here. If I may make a solid recommendation to the patch: A restoration for the content that allows one to drive off the Sky Dragon in "The Nest Above the Clouds" would be pretty cool. Perhaps some of the other quests like "Missing Sentries" and the like could be updated to have end states and quest options fixed.

Thank you so much for the update! I do have a small request.

Would it be possible to add cloud saves to the Epic Store version? I know it isn't the game itself but it's a QOL update. I started playing the game on Geforce Now when my PC was broken without realising I couldn't transfer the save off the platform. After pouring hundreds of hours in, I now can't keep my character, my choices or transfer my save to Deadfire! Please add this so I can retrieve my game data. Thanl you!

2 hours ago, Michael Champion said:

Hi, longtime fan here. If I may make a solid recommendation to the patch: A restoration for the content that allows one to drive off the Sky Dragon in "The Nest Above the Clouds" would be pretty cool. Perhaps some of the other quests like "Missing Sentries" and the like could be updated to have end states and quest options fixed.

Also, a fix to the "Wael's Boon" talent would be amazing. If players do the right tasks/quests, and refuse boons from others, getting the "Wael's Boon" should be available to players. Food for thought.

Greetings!

To anyone having difficulties finding the public beta, our apologies for not specifying - the beta branch does not yet support Mac/Linux, this is something we're investigating. Sorry for the confusion, I'll keep you posted if we make progress on this front.

Also, for comments on One-Eyed Molina's Gold-Fingered Spike-Flinger and other Deadfire pack soulbound weapon groups, I'll make sure we correct that for the next build of this patch. Thanks for the support on this one.

For answers to other questions, see below!

• @Mraicor
    • One trap per character and/or trap talents. This is a little outside the scope for this patch, but there's definitely a community desire for better trap archetype support and it's not outside of possibility for a future patch. I'll track this and put it to consideration. Thanks for calling attention to it!
    • I'll also make sure each of the other issues you reported are tracked and investigated as well (Korgrak, The Old Watcher, Deadfire items (mentioned above)). Thanks for the support!
  • @Kvellen
    • Output logs should exist at - [Your LocalDrive]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log
  • @Space-Cadet
    • No PC controller support at this time. Though, if the opportunity presents itself, it's something I'd like to investigate in the future.
  • @DicesMuse
    • This patch is focused on PC at this time.
  • @Macklin
    • I'll have to investigate the missing commentary tracks, if we have access to them we may be able to restore them in the future. Thanks for calling attention to the issue.
  • @beger
    • Thank you for the support. We've tracked the text size discrepancy and will investigate.
  • @Cerebro83
    • We've tracked the VFX issue with the Cinders of Fate quest, thanks for your support!
  • @VerNOX
    • We would like to investigate all mods that provide fixes to known issues of the game to ideally incorporate them. Though please bear with us as we work to catch them all. In the meantime, you may wish to use mods for any we have yet to address. Also, thank you for reporting the high-resolution sharpness issue, I'll make sure we investigate this as well.
  • @kronozord
    • The public beta is on Steam only, but when the patch goes live Epic & GoG is expected to be included in the update. Also, this patch has no relation to Avowed, we simply love all of our games and the fans that play them and have an opportunity to make some improvements for everyone involved. :)
  • @sirrus233
    • I'll put the suggestion for the original title screen in our database, it would be nice to see again.
  • @Mister_Nobody
    • We'll need to investigate this issue further; do you happen to have a save game you could provide to our support team? If so, we might be able to track down the root cause more easily. If not, we'll do our best to reproduce it on our end with the info you provided. Either way, thanks for letting us know!
  • @Silvaren
    • Thanks for reporting the athletics issue, I'll make sure it's tracked and investigated.
  • @Nightwing32
    • I'll get the lack of mercy option tracked and investigated. Thanks!
  • @davoker
    • I'll make sure we investigate these issues, especially Psychic and Brutal Backlash. Thanks!
  • @Chaospread
    • I mentioned One-Eyed Molina above, but thanks for also reporting the inconsistency with Korgrak as well. I'll make sure this is tracked. Thanks!
  • @warralek
    • We plan to give the patch a healthy runway to make sure there are no big issues from the engine upgrade, during this time we may update the build version on the public beta once or twice before going live. There's no set timeline for how long that will be, but if we don't see many new issues, or we've resolved most of them, we'll wrap it up and investigate other issues.

Thanks everyone for your participation in this beta, your feedback, and your dedication to the game. ❤️

EDIT** - Also for those that are concerned about your favorite mods that may become invalidated on Steam after the patch goes live, we are investigating moving the current live version to a legacy branch when the new patch goes live. This should allow those that wish to continue their existing playthrough with their current mods to do so. And will give some runway for any popular mods to be updated down the line. More on this as we get closer to release.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NCarver said:
  • @Kvellen
    • Output logs should exist at - [Your LocalDrive]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log

I have the same issue, the log isn't at the specified path after playing the beta build.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCarver said:
  • @Mister_Nobody
    • We'll need to investigate this issue further; do you happen to have a save game you could provide to our support team? If so, we might be able to track down the root cause more easily. If not, we'll do our best to reproduce it on our end with the info you provided. Either way, thanks for letting us know!

I have a save, but it's only one, because it's Ultimate. Besides, it's in front of Thaos, and he didn't cause any of the effects I described, although my status should be pretty cursed. But if you can spawn a couple of eyeless ones, everything should be fine. They prone me with almost 100% chance.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10JIT2vKC4cd-sR95ZaYocir_IDOLKP71/view

I'd also like to mention an exploit that can be easily abused. We're talking about the "Chanter" class; the issue here isn't whether to exploit it or not, it's about triggering it unintentionally, often due to a quick change in skill usage.

This video demonstrates how it works:

I've set the time to the exact moment the exploit is used (a few seconds after it begins). This exploit can be used with various Chanter abilities, such as:

"White Worms Writhed in the Bellies of the Dead" or "Thrice Was She Wronged, and Thrice Justly Avenged"

Specifically, it seems the exploit is triggered with those Chanter summons. Using either of these summons like that can be deadly. One might think to avoid using the exploit if you don't want to, but, as mentioned earlier, this exploit is often unintentionally triggered.

Thanks!

PS: It would be possible to decrease a little the time it takes to drink a potion? a little more time to drink them and anyone would think that you are eating in a restaurant, taking your time and not rushing 😆😍

Edited by davoker
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, davoker said:

PS: It would be possible to decrease a little the time it takes to drink a potion? a little more time to drink them and anyone would think that you are eating in a restaurant, taking your time and not rushing 😆😍

I'd like to see less time to drink potions too :)

14 hours ago, NCarver said:

I'll make sure we investigate these issues, especially Psychic and Brutal Backlash. Thanks!

I would recommend not to rush with backlashes for now. Problem there is much much bigger then just fixing amount per fight. The moment when it becomes 1 per fight as it tooltip implies, talent will become useless. Its once per fight effect that you have no way to control when and more important on whom it will be used. While modern day version is busted as heck, its  easy to forget that prior to this bug it was pretty much worst class talent in game. That thing need a lot of work to rebalance it so it would not just fall into complete unuse. Probably either major trigger logic revamp or something

27 minutes ago, Desmodeus said:

I would recommend not to rush with backlashes for now. Problem there is much much bigger then just fixing amount per fight. The moment when it becomes 1 per fight as it tooltip implies, talent will become useless. Its once per fight effect that you have no way to control when and more important on whom it will be used. While modern day version is busted as heck, its  easy to forget that prior to this bug it was pretty much worst class talent in game. That thing need a lot of work to rebalance it so it would not just fall into complete unuse. Probably either major trigger logic revamp or something

Anything is better than your current state, it turns a triple crown challenge into child's play, you are a passive boss killer, in POE2 it works well, how useful it is is up to each individual.

Stunning a boss once is better than none, and certainly keeping it stunned constantly because of a bug is not ideal, it kills the challenge, Cipher is broken because of this bug.

17 minutes ago, davoker said:

Anything is better than your current state, it turns a triple crown challenge into child's play, you are a passive boss killer, in POE2 it works well, how useful it is is up to each individual.

Stunning a boss once is better than none, and certainly keeping it stunned constantly because of a bug is not ideal, it kills the challenge, Cipher is broken because of this bug.

Another point - having option for building is better then not having. By fixing it you will essentially remove two viable talents from cipher skill pool. If you think its op, you can always skip it, its not stuff you get just by levelup. While it is a strong talent, for example range cipher has little use of it.

17 minutes ago, davoker said:

how useful it is is up to each individual.

No it is not. Usefulness is objective measurement. You take all situations you get in game, check in how many of them you get noticeable effect from something and how much work you need to make use of it. It might be fun to have in your spellbook a spell that will allow you to kill enemy once an ingame month in night during monday when its hp is above 15% and below 17% but  stuff like action economy  and amount of work needed to setup it will make it useless. Feat that trigger once per fight, against single enemy with no way to control whom it will be is simply a bad talent, filler slot in build. If you build function with it its not becouse of it, it becouse other feats do enough work to cover for its defishency

I'm in favour of correcting what's clearly a bug with Psychic Backlash. The number of per encounter uses or duration of the Stun can be increased if the fixed version is not worth choosing as a talent. The fixed version will allow players to pick it without feeling like they're cheesing the game :)

Edited by Testlum

7 minutes ago, Testlum said:

I'm in favour of correcting what's clearly a bug with Psychic Backlash. The number of uses or duration of the Stun can be increased if the fixed version is not worth choosing as a talent. The fixed version will allow players to pick it without feeling like they're cheesing the game :)

Oh it absolutely should be fixed. Just not this patch in a rashed way. For example bumping number of uses will create the same problem - you can just stay and stan boss non stop in proper situation. It will help with randomness of trigger a bit, but still be easily abusable. Bumping duration is also do not affect actual problem of limited trigger - having close to no control who will be stunned in specific fight.  What it need it trigger logic change. For example maybe it should trigger only once per enemy but unlimited amount per fight? Or maybe it is better to put some sort of cooldown? All this will require quite extencive testing as original ability design is flawed :(

On 1/9/2024 at 11:24 PM, NCarver said:

there's definitely a community desire for better trap archetype support and it's not outside of possibility for a future patch. I'll track this and put it to consideration. Thanks for calling attention to it!

No, thank you for considering it! Honestly more than I expected! Never thought I would get hyped for pillars 1 patch so many years after launch but possibility of new build options sure makes me excited.

1 hour ago, daerragh said:

Thank you for supporting this game all these years after the original release. :)

Is PoE2: Deadfire also receiving an update in near future?

Yes, I also second this question. Especially regarding the "Legacy Creation" feature, or perhaps the importation of "complete" game saves from PoE into PoE II: Deadfire. That could iron out a ton of bugs and make matters much smoother.