Cinema and Movie Thread: coming at you at 24fps

Raithe

Bad thing is, IIRC, they actually did practical effects for Thing 2011 but the studio required them to replace the practical effects with digital, and also cut the character development out of the film and use reshoots to clarify the narrative since the character development was gone.

• Sad 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I see cat, I click. I was disappointed that this wasn't a trailer for a video game. 😛
I don't know if it's going to be a short film or feature length or anything else. But that trailer is great. Edit: I wonder if this is a zero dialogue film.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Saw Massacre at Central High. Truly awful.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Watched the new Beetlejuice.

Never watched the old one completely. Still could follow the movie just fine even without knowing references. Thumbs up for hanging out with a friend. Movie still wasn't my thing.

Then again, only watched it to support "our girl" Ortega. Which surprised my friends who understood the concept that I do not watch things for political reasons (i.e. boycott) but never expected me to   watch something they like for the same reasons 😛

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I guess it was a sign from up high that I decided to re-watch <<Kite>> last month: 

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

We watched Trap via Prime rental.

Josh Hartnett was great, I liked his performance re: constant expression changes.
There is no M. Night twist ending, although one aspect is something one might not predict. But it's not a twist.
The movie overall lacks any real sense of suspense/thrill re: the "trap" situation. And the second half of the film becomes more of standard crime-thriller sort. I was vaguely reminded - pacing/story-beat wise - of the old film Red Eye, except Red Eye had Cillian Murphy and was a lot better.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Brewster McCloud (1970).

2nTu8fh.jpeg

It's the third Robert Altman movie I've seen (3 Women and Popeye), and it's three for three so far. The man makes the most inexplicable but nevertheless entertaining films: he is a psychotic director, and I have no idea how he kept getting funding for his weirdo films (also why he was selected for making Popeye in the first place given his history of work...). I also just read that he's the one that discovered Shelley Duvall as an actress and insisted upon her appearing and starring in his films, which explains why she's been a major part in all three of the Altman films I've seen.

mpc-hc64_FLRIdBiJyH.gif?rlkey=7fxw6zobir

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Street Fighter (1994)

It's a bad movie. Kind of in the middle of just being bad to being a "good" bad movie, solely on the back of Raul Julia's performance. Take that out and it's ****ing awful, irredeemable garbage.

I also recently watched a horror movie but I already forgot it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I have no idea how he kept getting funding for his weirdo films

My memory is that he was a TV director who had a moneymaker lowbudget film (The Delinquents) that after a couple of middling results with other films got hired to direct M*A*S*H* which was a huge critical and commercial success. This led to a string of critically acclaimed but poor box office films (like Brewster McCloud, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, the Long Goodbye) mild hits (Nashville) and a major flop (Quintet).

Because of the critical acclaim, he had a lot of admirers in Hollywood (like Ladd Company head, Alan Ladd jr) so continued to be sought after, but often with an attempt to attach him to a more commercial project. 

Comic based properties were hot in the late 70s. Robert Evans lost a bidding war over Annie which was already a popular Broadway musical, so decided to make his own comic strip movie musicsl and settled on Popeye. He hired Jules Fieffer, a well known cartoonist and fan of E. C. Segar's THIMBLE THEATER, where Popeye debuted. Evans planned for Dustin Hoffman to play Popeye, Lily Tomlin as Olive Oyl, and for it to be directed by John Schlesinger (Midnight Cowboy, Marathon Man).

After all those people dropped out or passed (excepting Feiffer), Altman's people put him forward as the project was commercial but also playing to his strengths in ensemble storytelling. It was a huge hit but the troubles in production - clashes between Altman and Evans, between Altman and Williams (who threatened to walk), Altman and Harry Nilsson (who did walk), a number of script changes (including removal of the original end that would have had Bluto working for the Sea Hag, leading to a confrontation between her and Popeye), a storm that destroyed sets and a mechanical octopus that didn't work - would ensure that a sequel was never considered.

Altman then settled into a pattern of critically acclaimed films with poor or middling box office punctuated by the occasional hit (Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean, Gosford Park, The Player, PrĂȘt-Ă -Porter).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man