Cinema and Movie Thread: coming at you at 24fps

Raithe

Watched the new apes movie. As always, good movie, but ... as always, it feels like something is missing. Or something is off. Like.. they have this super cool premise, and the movies aren't even short, but somehow it feels like they are rushing through it? Don't know how to describe it.

That said...

Proximus Caesar was right. His only mistake was to do his plan with force. There really was no reason to do that?

Also, there's normal humans surviving yet again... Why can't they go all out and make humans dumb? Why do they always need to have at least some who survived until now? This is lame, man.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I liked Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, personally.

Spoiler

I don't agree Proximus was right; he was a tyrant - a charming and occasionally benevolent one, but he was an iron-fist ruler.  As Raka pointed out, he'd corrupted Ceasar's teaching to his own ends.  The violence wasn't a mistake, IMO, it was the mask coming off for Proximus.

The idea of surviving intelligent humans dates back to the second apes film in the original series so I didn't have a problem with it; in this case the idea that they're having to stay in hermetically sealed spaces to prevent infection from the Alzheimer's cure from the first film in this new series gives a interesting reason for them to stay hidden, and gives a certain pathos to Mae who most likely can't ever return to the base she serves and most likely grew up in.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

John Woo's remake of his own film, THE KILLER now has a trailer -

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Is that the dude from Lupin? I'll check that out, I think.

Yes, it's Omar Sy.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2024 at 2:55 AM, Lexx said:

Watched the new apes movie. As always, good movie, but ... as always, it feels like something is missing. Or something is off. Like.. they have this super cool premise, and the movies aren't even short, but somehow it feels like they are rushing through it? Don't know how to describe it.

That said...

Hide contents

Proximus Caesar was right. His only mistake was to do his plan with force. There really was no reason to do that?

Also, there's normal humans surviving yet again... Why can't they go all out and make humans dumb? Why do they always need to have at least some who survived until now? This is lame, man.

the communication center is ridiculous

how much population can a single bunker support over century

2 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

the communication center is ridiculous

how much population can a single bunker support over century

Pretty sure they're sending people into the (infected) world to be agents to keep the population sustainable to some degree. Possibly in concert with other area.

Will look forward to watching that on basic cable TV in 6-7 years.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Deadpool & Wolverine - I took the whole family and it was a ton of fun. If you didn't love the first two, then obviously it isn't going to be for you, but it had some amazing cameos. I don't want to spoil anything but:

Spoiler

Channing Tatum was hilarious, but also perfect in his role. Who is your dialect coach? :p 

I watched a whole lot of movies recently, here's the ones I remember enough to post about

Bottle Rocket (1996)

Wes Anderson's best film, before he got carried away with unnatural symmetry. It's a very Texas movie, not quite Fargo in Texas but close enough for that to make sense.

Hamlet (2000)

Kyle MacLachlan wields his unsettling chin to great effect. Not nearly as iconic as Romeo+Juliet, but a good adaptation regardless.

Arcadian (2024)

Nic Cage in dad mode for a post-apocalyptic horror that is also coming of age for two teenage sons. The high point was the monster design, which is the most unsettling I've seen in quite some time.

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Cut (2001)

I wish there were more 4+ hour movies with intermissions. I think 10-hour series tend to get carried away while sometimes you need a few more hours to tell an epic.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

20 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Deadpool & Wolverine - I took the whole family and it was a ton of fun. If you didn't love the first two, then obviously it isn't going to be for you, but it had some amazing cameos. I don't want to spoil anything but:

Hide contents

Channing Tatum was hilarious, but also perfect in his role. Who is your dialect coach? :p 

Saw it too.  Thought it was fun.  Through story maybe not as strong as it could have been, but it was overall fun.

We did the more pricey "still in theaters" rental of Kevin Coster's "Horizon: An American Saga – Chapter 1". 3 hours long. He's the director.

---first hour has all this bad stuff happening to a group of people you know nothing about and care little about. It was filmed ok, actors were ok.
---Kevin Coster's chr. finally shows up at some point after all that, and I thought "ok, here's the main story, it's starting now." But no, after his bits the movie continued to introduce more characters (or go back to ones you'd seen very briefly, earlier).
---I was actually finding it all fairly watchable - not great, but watchable - but after two hours of "is there a point to all of these threads and groups" I had enough. Hubby watched the rest, I did not. Like many big Costner films, there's an element of "spot the well known chr./guest actor" throughout.

Apparently there will be a Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 and maybe a Chapter 4 (if the others do well). So the notion that the film would not have a proper ending is also what made my attention founder. Maybe when all chapters are out I'll watch the rest. 

It felt like it should've been another mini-series, ala Hatfields and McCoy's, vs. 4 (possibly all 3 hr) movies. Costner's trying to have a magnum opus I guess.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Managed to squeeze in the two Dune movies on the flight to Singapore. Not sure what to think of it (I haven’t read the books). It reminded me of a Moebius comic, except his stories are usually more internally consistent 🤷‍♂️

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

One Hour Photo (2002)

Robin Williams plays a workaholic photo counter guy in a legally distinct Wal-Mart in an unknown part of the US. It's very good, you feel both second-hand embarrassment for Sy and also get very creeped out by him, Robin absolutely nailed this role. Everything else is good, it very much feels like parts of my childhood in a way that will probably make sense to US kids who grew up between the 90s and aughts.

Ikarie XB-1 (1963)

A soviet era sci-fi film that feels like an alternative Star Trek. That's perhaps underselling it, but it was an incredible film that manages to make space feel more ordinary and lived in that what hacks like Villeneuve do.

Tarot (2024)

An unremarkable PG-13 horror where a group of college students unleash evil when drunk and not so horny.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

Well that sucks.

• Sad 1