The TV and Streaming Thread: US Writers/Actors Strike Edition

Raithe

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

Yeah, getting rid of Lily was a poor choice (Augur's reaction where he rages out to her reported death but fails to lift the chair always cracks me up).  The whole Resistance idea seems absent from this season as it seems to be a lot of Taelon internal politics.   Still haven't shaked the trope of Zo'or and Sandoval talking in public about how the thing they're looking or talking about is a front for a more devious scheme.

Ah well, I will suffer on through this.

I do wonder why the show went through so many cast changes.  I don't think there is a single character that remained a series regular through the whole thing.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

6 hours ago, Amentep said:

I do wonder why the show went through so many cast changes.  I don't think there is a single character that remained a series regular through the whole thing.

At least for Boone and Liam, it was money, the former wanted too much and the other got cut because of tax reasons (Canadian actors vs US ones).  Sandoval's actor endured though, even though the weirdness of the 5th season.  If I recall a lot of studio meddling also damaged the show, a lot more crappy action in season 2 and 3 than 1. 

• Thanks 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The Boys s4 finale: the writers are two years too late

There's a lot going on here, but the short of it is that it's very much final season bait in the way that s3 of The Strain was. There's a new status quo, it's clearly the end of the line, etc etc. It's not really satire again because the big shock of martial law is something that's already in vogue with the people The Boys is attempting to parody.

Overall it's floated by the cast, who with the glaring exception of Tomer Capone's Frenchie are fun to watch. But there's just so many times Carl Urban can do his sinister half-smile or Starr can do the Homelander eye twitch without it feeling like....edging. A lot of these seasons feels like filler, almost like half a season or one of those gap movies that too many animes do.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Randomly ran across a YouTube channel that seemingly has every single episode (over 550 of them anyway) of Richard Dawson hosted Family Feud. Making my way through the early first ones, the 70's time capsule it (and other game shows I'd guess) presents is making me giggle. The hair, the suits/dresses, the silly questions and answers. When you watch it now, one has to remember the answers would not include a bunch of things you might think of that came after the 70's.

Also, that final big prize of $5k would be about $15-$16k today, or something.  Anyway - just more blasts from the past, for me. Jeopardy was #1, but Feud was stupid fun in small doses too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There's a broadcast channel called Buzzr that I watch.  Has repeats of Match Game PM, To Tell the Truth & Price is Right.  I think they've had Family Feud, but don't think its on currently.  But all I watched in their 70s versions, and all fun to revisit occasionally.

7 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

how many version of suicide squad are they going to make

Not sure how close they're going to be to suicide squad from a story perspective beyond what is set up in the trailer. In the comics, Creature Commandos are a different program from Task Force X, initially run by the army in WWII, Frankenstein & The Bride work for a government organization named S.H.A.D.E. (Super Human Advanced Defense Executive) and G.I. Robot was a third seperate WWII Era project.

So they may be using Waller and the Suicide Squad concept to give a single hook that audiences already know to throw the characters together. 

Binge watched Wednesday... loved it. Just my kind of humour 😁

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

39 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Umbrella Academy final season. What an unimaginative ending.

Did the dad try to do the Human Instrumentality Project?

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

57 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Umbrella Academy final season. What an unimaginative ending.

umbrella academy manage to disappoint audience each season since season 2

pretty predictable now

at least now it is over

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Did the dad try to do the Human Instrumentality Project?

Omg. Did not make that parallel connection at all... But it do be like that, only much worse.

• Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

@Gfted1

Im sure you will remember we use to talk about American Horror Story and how we both use to watch it and then we stopped for various reasons

But I noticed they making a S13, its been going for 13 years and I decided to watch the latest seasons s11&12 because  I  had stopped watching after s6

Anyway s11 is good, its set in the 1980s in NY and its about the beginning of the AIDS pandemic and there is a  serial killer and its all about the gay community so its not recommended for those uncomfortable with LGBT themes

But its  well done and evocative and highlights the terrible reality and tragedy of the early days of AIDS and how it wasnt understood and then they include the horror aspect  in different ways 

I have just started watching s12 so I cant comment on that yet 

But the point Im making the AHS series seems better than when I stopped watching and it might be worthwhile for you to watch s11?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

But the point Im making the AHS series seems better than when I stopped watching and it might be worthwhile for you to watch s11?

Thanks for the recommendation! I think I felt that each following season had diminishing returns (same for True Detective) but I was kinda interested to see the season with Kim Kardashian. TBH, Im not even sure if our cable package still includes whatever channel AHS moved to so Ill have to look into it.

• Like 1

I haven't actually been able to start any new shows.

My mood isn't connecting and I keep ending up with old shows on re-runs in the background as I putter away at other things.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Umbrella Academy s4 - The End of Umbrella Academy

It's not very good. Gene and Jean are probably the high points but everything else feels below the standards of previous seasons, which already did feel like generally decline. Not GoT final season bad but very much going out with a whimper. Guess that's better than most Netflix shows tho lmao.

On 8/9/2024 at 1:27 AM, Sarex said:

Omg. Did not make that parallel connection at all... But it do be like that, only much worse.

It feels like the opposite if NGE in a lot of ways 

The marigold people (for lack of a better term to use to describe super powered people in the show) choosing to not exist in order to not keep ****ing up the world(s) is close to the opposite of Shinji choosing to exist even though he would feel and cause pain. But here it's not so bittersweet, as it could have been, but just sort of an asspull jammed into the last episode rather than something built over the seasons.

Also......it's been stated and shown several times that those 8 aren't the only marigold people out there so there's still marigold out there to cause big body horror monster to come back. I mean I mostly forgot the alternative marigold people from season 3 or the kids Reginald couldn't find but kinda dumb that the show itself does that for the last 30 minutes.

Edited by PK htiw klaw eriF
  • Like 1

Again, all I can say is what an unimaginative ending... For all it's faults, the show had interesting ideas, I did not expect such an ending. NGE had a payoff for the time invested with it's ending, even if it may have not been the most original one. But this, this was just a spit in the face.

Edited by Sarex
  • Gasp! 1

16 hours ago, Sarex said:

Again, all I can say is what an unimaginative ending... For all it's faults, the show had interesting ideas, I did not expect such an ending. NGE had a payoff for the time invested with it's ending, even if it may have not been the most original one. But this, this was just a spit in the face.

It seems a disjointed mess that hastily ties up the previous seasons in a package that doesn't fit. The weight of the sacrifice feels empty and I honestly think ending at s3 would have been a better finale. Moreover, the rest of the season just feels bland, which is a shame because Jean and Gene are hilarious as villains and the show has done crazy fun stuff before. Just not a good time.

Funnily enough, I just rewatched NGE. That ending works much better thematically and actually is well done in terms of composition. Certainly better than merging with a cgi blob for plot induced stupidity.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Funnily enough, I just rewatched NGE. That ending works much better thematically and actually is well done in terms of composition. Certainly better than merging with a cgi blob for plot induced stupidity.

Did you watch the rebuild too, or just the original series?