Unpopular Opinion: The graphics are not that impressive...

Sanjid099

I've attached the pictures below.

I know graphics aren't the main focus on an Obsidian game, but in order to gain immersion, the graphics should at least match the tone of the game it is associated with.

The world of Eora has been depicted as dark and gritty, but the recent Avowed trailer doesn't showcase such tone.

I am not really digging the cartoony graphics in this new game. It's feels like a far cry compared to the reveal trailer. Even POE 1 & 2 had more gritty and realistic graphics compared to this.

What do y'all think?

a1.jpg

a3.jpg

a2.jpg

Edited by Sanjid099

Yeah, not a fan. Something feels off about it, even if you compare it to something like Outer Worlds. Still some time till 2024 so hopefully stuff like lighting etc is still being worked on. Even looking at Baldur's Gate3 Early Access a single pass can make a difference.

• Like 2

In The Outer Worlds the colourful, cartoony vibes fit the overall tone of the setting as well, as it was clearly aiming for a more heightened, satirical approach instead. Avowed and the world of Eora are not that, so the "epic" vibes and the "serious" threat of a plague and so on that the trailer is trying to sell you feel directly at odds with skeletons that look and move like they're straight out of Sea of Thieves. The mushroom garden posted in the OP is straight kitsch in a way that would fit an aesthetic modelled after 1950s sci fi but not a quasi-historical fantasy setting. Not a fan either.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I liked the visual tone of PoE best, Deadfire is lighter and colorful but still nice and appropriate for the setting. 

I know that the Living Lands are supposed to be colorful and thriving with all sorts of wildlife and flowers and so on - and medieval times weren't as drab and dirty, muddy and gritty as Hollywood would like us to think... but still the overall visual style presented in the Gameplay trailer is not my cup of tea. 

This will not stop me from buying, but it's also not something I'm excited about.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think it looks mostly good. It's really just the mushroom scene which is appaling. Either the mushrooms need to be less saturated, or the background needs to be of an appropriate color which would play off the vegetation better.

In general there is a plastic feel which makes it seem like the problem is with the light and how it reflects on objects (as in, right now it does not do that well).

I would not worry too much right now. The release is one year away. They should manage to make the game look more presentable.

8 hours ago, Boeroer said:

I liked the visual tone of PoE best, Deadfire is lighter and colorful but still nice and appropriate for the setting. 

I know that the Living Lands are supposed to be colorful and thriving with all sorts of wildlife and flowers and so on - and medieval times weren't as drab and dirty, muddy and gritty as Hollywood would like us to think... but still the overall visual style presented in the Gameplay trailer is not my cup of tea. 

This will not stop me from buying, but it's also not something I'm excited about.

Agree with @Boeroer.   

Have gun will travel.

Something definitely looks off in the trailer. The opening shots look fine, but something about the areas with the mushrooms and the purple sky. I suspect that there's something going on with the mushrooms and plants all acting as a light source, but it makes everything look completely flat.

Those still images from the xbox site look MUCH better, but every single shot looks to be at twilight. I wouldn't say that it looks "cartoony" as some people say, but it does look oversaturated and lacking depth.

I will remain optimistic about the game itself and I hope to see the aesthetic getting some more attention before we see more.

• Like 3

Yes, those images on the XBox website do indeed look good to me, too. Don't know why the gameplay trailer created a different impression, I haven't really analyzed it.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I agree on the whole graphics point. I thought it would look AAA with Microsoft money and ressources poured into it. I'm not afraid for the story and surrounding world building, but this graphics looks very 2016 sadly. 

We can just hope the game will look more like that xbox article than the gamesfest trailer, and the graphics won't be detrimental to the experience.

evertheless this is a pre-order for sure in my book.