Cinema and Movie Thread: flickering images

Chairchucker

Wanted something cold for the bloody heatwave, picked "The Midnight Sky". It got Arctic (cold), space (even moar cold), SOMA-like end of the world thing (yay) and George Clooney to top it. I still can't comprehend how did they manage to make it so utterly boring.  

And then "They cloned Tyrone", sci-fi comedy/tribute, not as good as "Shaun of the dead", but few things are. Still was entertaining and funny, largely because of lead trio, Jamie Foxx in particular who I can say had a lot of fun playing this role. :)

Edited by bugarup
  • Like 1

Watched Blade Runner 2049 again only to find out they are doing a sequel TV series at Amazon... I am not optimistic. Hopefully it's something like a short series.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

52 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Who is the showrunner? If it's the same as WoT or RoP, I have bad news for you.

So apparently Scott Ridley is a producer (not executive as I read originally, or they both are executive producers(idk how that works)), showrunner and executive producer is Silka Luisa and the pilot is directed by Jeremy Podeswa.

Edited by Sarex

WoT had Harriet McDougal and Brandon Sanderson as producers, for all the good it did. Witcher had Sapkowski...

How on earth they gave Rafe Judkins another series (not Bladerunner, to avoid any implication) to run after WoT I don't know unless the whole thing actually is an elaborate tax fiddle. WoT was an expensive series and it looked like Hercules/ Xena half the time.

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2023 at 11:36 PM, bugarup said:

Wanted something cold for the bloody heatwave,

two wolf and snow movie recommendations:

and completely different

fantastic cinematography from hiro narita.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

26 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

WoT had Harriet McDougal and Brandon Sanderson as producers, for all the good it did. Witcher had Sapkowski...

How on earth they gave Rafe Judkins another series (not Bladerunner, to avoid any implication) to run after WoT I don't know unless the whole thing actually is an elaborate tax fiddle. WoT was an expensive series and it looked like Hercules/ Xena half the time.

Maybe the numbers are good? Idk, I pretty much gave up on anything coming out of amazon. I will probably try the Blade Runner show.

Also found out that there are 3 shorts, that are available on YT, that bridge the gap between the movies. They are worth a watch and explain some things.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

That is why I talked about showrunners. It seems there isn't much the producers can do in cases like these.

sign.jpg

Re dial of destiny, I can't disagree the third act is a bit of a mess and loses focus of the characters and story.  I enjoyed it still. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Pupil (2022). Rather bizarre Italian film about a bunch of young girls in a nunnery during World War II trying to make it through Christmas while being yelled at for their apparent wickedness by the nuns, selling their little orphan prayers to all the wives and moms worried about their boys in exchange for food and such. The concept is decidedly me, and the execution was...rather amusing. I mean, just look at them.

vhJRdlN.png

Once a girl decides that cake is more important than Christ, I think that pretty much seals it.

• Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Mean Streets (1973)

It's got a low budget charm to it that most of Scorsese's other films don't, for obvious reasons. In a lot of ways it feels almost....homey. There's no grand heist schemes or years-long saga that some of Scorsese's other gangster pictures have, this takes place over maybe a week and the big conflict that erupts is something that would have been a footnote in Goodfellas. I won't say that's better than the larger sagas Scorsese directed, but it is interesting to see more small scale crime dramas.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Empire of the Dark (1991) - Vanity project goodness! 1991 Dad Bod of the Year award winner Steve Barkett shows off his scintillating sword fighting skills in this thrilling adventure pitting him against a demonic cult. Come for the exciting fight scenes. Stay for the romance. Marvel at Steve Barkett's GLORIOUS mustache! In all seriousness, this is a highly recommended crappy movie. It'd put it roughly on the same level as Lady Terminator in terms of delivering cheesy goofy fun that everyone can enjoy.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

thanksgiving trailer

insta fail for perpetuating the pilgrim buckles-on-hat nonsense. 

only kinda kidding. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

To be fair to Eli Roth, this film is supposed to be the 70s horror film his ad in GRINDHOUSE advertised, and I think buckle capotains fits that asthetic pretty well. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

the only reason the aesthetic arguably fits is 'cause a long line o' similar individuals has ignorant or intentional perpetuated the pilgrim buckles-on-hat nonsense. the fact such hats look right in any context is wrong.

however, am wanting to make clear that this is not the kinda thing which would prevent us from watching and possibly enjoying a slasher film. yeah, pilgrim hat ornamentation is eye roll worthy, but almost by necessity so will a hundred or thousand other film details. ridiculous situations and people behaving improbable is fundamental in slashers, so the idea the hat is a deal breaker is tongue-in-cheek.

even so, we reflexive become annoyed when we see the buckles on pilgrim hats. small annoyance, but by now it should be an unnecessary annoyance.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

I had no idea the theatrical ending wasn't the original ending. I don't generally like musicals, but there's an exception to everything and this is one of the very few musicals I like, largely on the strength of how fantastic a movie it is, musical or otherwise. I haven't watched it in probably 2 decades. I now need to watch the director's cut to see the whole original ending. The little snippets they showed here look amazing.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm doing a late 80s Bruno Mattei double feature. First up:

Robowar (1988) - This is what you get when you order Predator from Wish. You have your ragtag group of elite commandos led by Reb Brown who is a steep downgrade from Ahnuld, but that's how it goes. There's a legally distinct alien hunter going after them, although in this case "alien" in terms that it's strange rather than from outer space because it's a secret military super soldier cyborg experiment gone wrong, as they are wont to do. Also it's a dude in a black suit with shoulder pads and a motorcycle helmet. If you're in the market for a cheap Predator knockoff you have a lot of choices, I'd say this is definitely an above average Predator knockoff. It's 80% people walking through the "jungle" but they do just enough to keep it from getting boring. Plus the pyro guy showed up for work, you got no shortage of sploshuns. Fun watch would watch again.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

12 hours ago, Keyrock said:

had no idea the theatrical ending wasn't the original ending.

Yeah, I remember all of that. The original ending was not a happy ending and test audiences absolutely hated it or something.
You can see the original ending on YouTube if you look. There's the original "workprint" version and the cleaned up version used in the Director's Cut. I think the differences were fairly minor.  Original ending fits more thematically, and is closer the Broadway play. But there's something about it that I find a little offputting on a technical level (too long? effects? not sure).

Did you ever try watching the original 60's film, with Jack Nicholson in the tiny role of being the patient masochist? It's a weird movie. The musical is much better, heh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Did you ever try watching the original 60's film, with Jack Nicholson in the tiny role of being the patient masochist? It's a weird movie. The musical is much better, heh.

Yes. I have seen the original Roger Corman LSoH, it was decades ago but I have seen it. I have not seen the play on Broadway.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The original ending is indulgently long - isn't it like...15, 20 minutes of extra footage? It's great, but it also doesn't flow super well with the rest of the film, and it's not the normal "happy ending" that audiences would want for a tonally cheerful musical extravaganza (ignoring all the thematically heavy horrors and violence depicted there within - if everything is said and done with a laugh and a smile, does it really count?). But with the theatrical ending on the other hand...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

^ Yeah I think it's the length mostly, for me. It feels too extended.
I love that film to pieces, but it's largely because of the music/soundtrack vs. plot/chrs - still have a cassette tape of that - and the humor bits. Levi Stubbs as AudreyII was so awesome (Mean Green is great but Suppertime is probably my fave).

I've also listened to some of the broadway/stage versions - they have their very good moments performance wise, but Levi Stubbs is AudreyII, for me.

Also:  =]

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts