Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.

Chairchucker

53 minutes ago, Lexx said:

How does it feel to be the only person in the world who thinks that way? : >

Oh, I was under the impression that s2 was even more popular than s1. The books take a sharp nose dive after the short stories, so it's really not hard for the TV series to be better than the latter books.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_witcher/s02

hardly a definitive source, but a better starting point than personal recollections and feels.

personal we weren't a fan o' the source material or the show. am embarrassed to admit the source material is something we woulda' enjoyed... when we were fifteen. kinda cringey. the show (at least early episodes o' season one) were an emo version o' kevin sorbo's hercules tv show from the 90's. even the production values for witcher remined us o' 90s hercules. we were not hoping for more witcher. 

as to cavill's superman, we had issues with the DC movies, but we thought cavill's performance were not a problem. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

*sigh*

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Oh, I was under the impression that s2 was even more popular than s1.

again, even your own source says season 2 were less popular.

freaking groundhog day.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

Funny how critics didn't really like s1 and then loved s2, while peasant rating is inverted. Once again a show that kinda shows that opinions of "professional critics" really don't mean much anymore today.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

There have been movies critically panned that were hits with audiences, or eventually gained insane cult followings after being ignored initially, since practically the dawn of film-making, don't think much has changed recently. At different times and according to one's own tastes, the individual will inevitably feel that the critics are morons or that the audience must be brain dead for viewing [whatever] the way they do, all completely dependent on which side you happen to agree with.

For my part, it is likely that I would feel all of it is bad because no matter the changes they made between the first and second season, it still isn't doing anything to appeal to me. Doesn't make my opinion "right", it's just another garbage opinion in an endless sea of them.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

2 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Funny how critics didn't really like s1 and then loved s2, while peasant rating is inverted. Once again a show that kinda shows that opinions of "professional critics" really don't mean much anymore today.

personal, am baffled by the point o' metacritic for pro reviewers o' media. the only value am having ever derived from critics is discovering one or two such individuals who appear to be simpatico with Gromnir's notions o' good and/or entertaining.

warning: sweary

once we discover personal useful critics, we read their reviews if am ambivalent 'bout a show or movie we has yet to see. otherwise... useless.

meta?  am not getting the value.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sarex said:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/witcher-season-2-netflix-most-viewed-1235151446/

Weaker in the first month it seems, but still fairly popular. If the internet was to be believed, no one watched it.

I must be finally off the internet then (thank god), because The Witcher season 2 being hated is news to me. Season 1 was kind of silly with some Cw-tier effects, and season 2 really felt like a leap forward in all respects. It would be awful if Cavill left the show for Superman only to get booted out of Superman.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

People who like Yennefer absolutely hated her betraying Ciri in S2, and that generated most of the drama and lead to a lot of 1s on metacritic and the like; and a lot of toys being ejected from cots across social media leaving to the impression that people hated it. Personally, I thought it was absolutely in character for her to betray someone who meant nothing to her, and at that point Ciri meant nothing to her. If nothing else Witcher S2E1 was the best fantasy tv episode since absolute prime GoT, and showed what the more episodic S1 should have been. I'd rate S2 as the 2nd best fantasy tv season in recent years, so I liked it a lot (more than that utter dross WoT). Also, S1 was poor enough that a viewership drop off was to be expected; a lot of people who didn't like S1 simply wouldn't watch S2.

Cavill nearly quit pretty publicly after S2 wrapped, and a lot of his comments around the time of the recast announcement suggested pretty strongly that he was going, Superman or no, eg "It’s just about belief. If you believe what you’re doing then you’ll be able to keep on doing it. It’s also important to know that if you realize you’re doing the wrong thing, that’s when you stop doing the wrong thing. You don’t just keep on going just because. Because that leads down a dark path."

The proposed Superman movie was literal years off anyway, there was no need to quit for it. Indeed, Cavill actually stated that a return to Superman could coexist with Witcher, previously.

Edited by Zoraptor

Undoubtedly the most important movie news you will see all month:

https://cade-crossing.com

Cade-Poster-12-01-2022-V6-scaled-1-994x1

I watched the trailer on the website and...

giphy.webp

It's up to the lofty standards that visionary film genius Neil Breen has set. This is already Film of the Year 2023, it doesn't even matter what else comes out.

It goes without saying that as soon as Cade: The Tortured Crossing is available for purchase, I will be sending Mr. Breen money in exchange for a printable DVD-R in a jewel case.:yes:

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

5 hours ago, Amentep said:

Barbie

This is what I initially wrote after seeing that trailer:

"Only In Theaters July 21" even just one day seems too long for this crap

However, upon further reflection, I remembered that I hate roughly 99% of trailers and think they're generally a horrible way to be introduced to a film, including even my all-time favorites, so I'm thinking that I should maybe just forget what I've seen and stop watching trailers or commenting upon them.

Slumberland (2022). The core premise of this film (child suddenly loses their only parent upon which their world revolved around, would go to any length to see them again) is pretty tired...but somehow a Jason Mamoa film is actually kind of fun and not embarrassing. Probably better watched with children. I don't quite get why this got such bad reviews with critics (but conversely maybe a little too great reviews with audiences), as it just seems like a generally well-executed family adventure film with a little love and heart to it.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

14 hours ago, Amentep said:

I can say that I was not expecting a 2001 homage in the Barbie movie.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

32 minutes ago, Make a contract with KP said:

I can say that I was not expecting a 2001 homage in the Barbie movie.

I'm not sure how you can have any expectations about the Barbie movie. I mean that in a good way. It seems to be fully embracing absurdity. Ryan Gosling and Margot Robbie don't typically choose to do basic movies, so there had to have been something unique that convinced them to sign on for this.

I think it is safe to say it won't be a kids movie. My daughter watched Barbie Island Princess on repeat for a couple years, so I'm not expecting that. :p

4 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

I'm not sure how you can have any expectations about the Barbie movie. I mean that in a good way. It seems to be fully embracing absurdity. Ryan Gosling and Margot Robbie don't typically choose to do basic movies, so there had to have been something unique that convinced them to sign on for this.

I think it is safe to say it won't be a kids movie. My daughter watched Barbie Island Princess on repeat for a couple years, so I'm not expecting that. :p

I think we knew it wouldn't be like Transformers when Greta Gerwig was going to direct it, so I guess it's not surprising that it's surprising. Still.....a 2001 reference is definitely out of left field.

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

I sure hope it's going to have Aqua in the OST. :p

Apparently it is not, which is a missed opportunity of massive proportions.

• Sad 1

My daughter was insistent that we see it opening weekend. I was pretty skeptical about the 3+ hour runtime, but I took the family out to a matinee. I wasn't sure where they were going to go with the story, (other than underwater), but I was pretty happy with it. If the first one was an attack on mining and deforestation, this was an attack on whaling. That being said, it was more about a small family trying to stay together and I thought that part was well done. It was also a visually stunning film. That is no surprise, but I did find myself grinning at the visuals a few times. I didn't really check my watch until about 2 hours in, so that was good. I wouldn't say it dragged on too much. I can also see how it is set up for the sequels now and I like the direction.

But I enjoyed the first one, so if you didn't, then this will probably be torture for you. Which is a bummer because it is a beautiful film and seeing it in the theater was the right choice.

2 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

But I enjoyed the first one, so if you didn't, then this will probably be torture for you.

What if you just thought the first film was "ok", some parts more than others, and didn't love it or hate it? 😛
Mostly the visuals seems to be what 'net talkers talk about, especially the underwater stuff, in terms of being wowed (the story is serviceable etc). I can imagine it would be a visual, cgi/motion capture feast but I'll take the hit and wait for streaming like usual. Heh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 12/16/2022 at 4:14 PM, Amentep said:

Strays too far from the lore. 4/10

Anyways, more X-mas movies

Single All The Way

Princess Switch Trilogy

The Knight Before Christmas

Hometown Holiday

That's it for this update, probably would have been more but we're having serious disagreements about what to tell our son about Santa.

Free games updated 3/4/21

A couple of Christmas movies and one random.

First is The Wolf of Snow Hollow, which I like much better with the second viewing. It's not the greatest horror, but Jim Cummings is very good at making horrific situations into comedy.

Secondly, The Green Knight. Visually beautiful and with a refreshing ambiguous ending. In many ways I think there is a lot more style than substance here, but the style is very good and the substance is a thousand year old story you were probably forced to read in high school.

Lastly, Wifelike. A pretty dumb sci-fi flick about robot sex dolls wives (notably no husbandos) and a cop who brings rebellious ones back to get their memory wiped. We've been here, we've done this, and yeah it's not particularly great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Space KP, Baby said:

Secondly, The Green Knight. Visually beautiful and with a refreshing ambiguous ending. In many ways I think there is a lot more style than substance here, but the style is very good and the substance is a thousand year old story you were probably forced to read in high school.

That one was such a letdown. As you say it's stunning, but lack the meat underneath.

• Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

That one was such a letdown. As you say it's stunning, but lack the meat underneath.

While that's true, I don't think there is too much they could have done with it for a feature. Just using the poem gives enough for maybe an hour episode in anthology show.

• Like 1