Ukraine Conflict - "There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare"

Mamoulian War

49 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Serbia and Russia have old ties, that has little or nothing to do with "Admiration". They are both ethnic Slavs (even if not the same "brand" of Slavs), same religion (Orthodox), lots of cultural similarities and when **** hit the fan in WWI, Russia was the first one standing up for Serbia against Germany and the Habsburg Empire. Sort of a big brother/little brother kind of relationship. If you feel kinship with someone, you ask less critical questions.

Edit: Serbia and Russia special relationship has its own Wiki page, showing the shared history of the last few centuries (back to 1547)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia–Serbia_relations#18th_century

Nah, I think Serbs, like all Bad Slavs are genetically predisposed for totalitarianism.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Serbia and Russia have old ties, that has little or nothing to do with "Admiration".

Yeah, and this stuff runs deep. There was an interesting period before WWI when Russia was sort of vacillating between supporting Bulgaria or Serbia, and it might conceivably gone either way. That would probably have changed the relationship a lot. But it did go Serbia's way (and of course this had a lot to do with politics of all three countires, so it was complicated).

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

Serbia and Russia have old ties, that has little or nothing to do with "Admiration". They are both ethnic Slavs (even if not the same "brand" of Slavs), same religion (Orthodox), lots of cultural similarities and when **** hit the fan in WWI, Russia was the first one standing up for Serbia against Germany and the Habsburg Empire. Sort of a big brother/little brother kind of relationship. If you feel kinship with someone, you ask less critical questions.

Edit: Serbia and Russia special relationship has its own Wiki page, showing the shared history of the last few centuries (back to 1547)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia–Serbia_relations#18th_century

I have heard that before but I find it hard to take seriously after the Ukrainian invasion and Putins comments like "Ukraine has no identity and is irreverent"  because they decided to not be part of Putins recreation of the old Soviet borders. The whole " Slavic brothers " is about political servitude and how you must accept a Russian view of who you align with 

If most Serbs really still believed that then they have a very different definition of what a brother is for me ;)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

Nah, I think Serbs, like all Bad Slavs are genetically predisposed for totalitarianism.

I would say that we a nasty streak where we don't want to be anyone's vassal, ie. bend the knee and kiss the ring. Sadly that usually leads to leaders who hold all the power, but we also saw that the "democratic" alternative didn't turn out any better for us.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

21 minutes ago, Sarex said:

but we also saw that the "democratic" alternative didn't turn out any better for us.

Why was that?

Btw, Oded Galor, in his book The Journey of Humanity, presents many good reasons why "just switching to democracy" often doesn't work -- and why "the west" has been quite naive in this regard. There are so many variables to the issue, so many historical, geographic and other factors to consider. The book is recommended reading.

2 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Why was that?

They sold everything that was of worth in the country, destroyed our banking system to appease the eu and destroyed our military. Either way they weren't truly democratic either, because they needed to cheat on the election to beat Milosevic and even before that they relied on western funding and support to even get those elections.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, pmp10 said:

G7 plans to cap Russian oil prices.

I wonder how do they hope to enforce it.
They can't even get a condemnation for the war from major prospective customers like India.

Guess they'll have to find some way to threaten or bribe India. 

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

29 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Guess they'll have to find some way to threaten or bribe India. 

Good luck with that. Maybe offer more support against China, but I doubt they are stupid enough to not know who would be next on the chopping block right after it.

Will be interesting to see how it works out, anyway. And how broad the "coalition" they are referring to actually is.

Shortly before winter ofc. They are trying maximum pain. It's not like they have much to lose now anyways I guess. I'm more interested in what our government is going to do now. They need to react fast, but will they? Probably not ... the industry is making fat bank right now.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Russia threatens to completely stop oil export to G7 if it is price capped.

Meanwhile, Ayatollah would now wish that the alcohol would not be prohibited, as he would now be popping champagne bottles all over Iran. Looks like the possibility of Iran Russia cooperation lived shorter than the average Russian conscript in Donbas 🤷‍♂️

https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/476308/Iran-s-oil-production-capacity-to-increase-by-200-000-bpd-by

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

too bad we don't have problem with oil but with gas

• Haha 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

AFAIK Iran has also a lot of gas, so I do expect them to use that as a leverage for better nuclear deal. We’ll see how this one will tip the balance…

Also Slovakia opend last week gas transport interconnection between SK and PL. This one should be helpfull for CZ as well.

Edited by Mamoulian War

Russian equipment is proving to be pretty low tech and hasn't really improved much since the Soviet Era (Let's be honest here, USSR collapse was the worst thing that happened to them), but their 'Deep Operations' tactics are slowly but surely working.  The question is how long can they keep it up?

"Deep Operations" was developed in the pre-War USSR (Stalin purged the original architect but eventually allowed his generals to implement it with astonishing success against German Blitzkrieg) that calls for a wide front and using combined arms tactics with constant artillery fire all along the front in an effort to entice the enemy to attack and then "mop them up" with reserves when they inevitably take the bait and launch an offensive.

The Ukrainians are making the same mistakes the Germans did near the end of WW2 and launching petty "counter offenses" as the Russian MoD explains here.

The enemy suffered losses and was pushed back from Olginka, Thorn Ponds and Arkhangelsk. A battalion of the 57th Motorized Infantry Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine was defeated near the settlement of Sukhoi Stavki. Currently, the destruction of its remains is being completed. To unblock the AFU units, 12 tanks supplied to the Kiev regime by Poland were transported across the Ingulets River. Some of the tanks were destroyed by the powerful fire action of the Russian troops. Several tanks were blown up in their minefield during a disorderly withdrawal. Only five Ukrainian tanks were able to break back, deep into the territory controlled by the AFU. During two days of unsuccessful attacks on Mykolaiv-Krivoy Rog and other directions, Ukrainian troops lost four combat aircraft: two Su-25, one Su-24 and one MiG-29. Three Ukrainian Mi-8 helicopters were shot down in the air. Russian troops also destroyed 63 Ukrainian tanks, 59 infantry fighting vehicles, 48 other armored combat vehicles, 14 pickups with heavy machine guns and more than 1,700 Ukrainian servicemen.

Sure, this whole thing seems like an IRL scenario of Hearts of Iron and other WW2 larping on a small scale with both sides using outdated tactics but it looks the Russians will inevitably gain the upper hand here as they now have first hand experience against modern NATO equipment and implement countering these in their doctrine.  China's MoD is also watching closely here.  The West gains nothing because Russia is not doing or using anything new or innovative in their tactics to learn from.

• Haha 2

On 9/1/2022 at 8:06 AM, Mamoulian War said:

Another look into Russian army

Second part of the insight has been released today.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

Russian equipment is proving to be pretty low tech and hasn't really improved much since the Soviet Era (Let's be honest here, USSR collapse was the worst thing that happened to them), but their 'Deep Operations' tactics are slowly but surely working.  The question is how long can they keep it up?

"Deep Operations" was developed in the pre-War USSR (Stalin purged the original architect but eventually allowed his generals to implement it with astonishing success against German Blitzkrieg) that calls for a wide front and using combined arms tactics with constant artillery fire all along the front in an effort to entice the enemy to attack and then "mop them up" with reserves when they inevitably take the bait and launch an offensive.

The Ukrainians are making the same mistakes the Germans did near the end of WW2 and launching petty "counter offenses" as the Russian MoD explains here.

Sure, this whole thing seems like an IRL scenario of Hearts of Iron and other WW2 larping on a small scale with both sides using outdated tactics but it looks the Russians will inevitably gain the upper hand here as they now have first hand experience against modern NATO equipment and implement countering these in their doctrine.  China's MoD is also watching closely here.  The West gains nothing because Russia is not doing or using anything new or innovative in their tactics to learn from.

Sure sure. It took 4 months to get Luhansk and 7 month to get Pisky, one of the suburbs of Donetsk City, but UA offensive is 100% and definitelly finished off 2 days after it began. Yeah yeah, seems like another wishful thinking and wet dreams for all the vatniks and generals to afraid to tell the truth to Volodya 😄

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Little bit of analysis of the few last days of the UA counteroffensive, which speaks about a lot of contrdictions presented by RU MoD, and the possible outcomes. Of course Nothing is 100% sure, until the UA cancels the blackout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Redeeming article on the German military help to Ukraine (including the full list). The people at Oryx, who run the site for confirmed losses on both sides, are estimating it as the third biggest material help, right after the US and the UK. 😲

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/09/fact-sheet-on-german-military-aid-to.html

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Thanks 1

Not sure they need much redemption in the first place.

Predictably energy prices protests are starting in Europe with the Czech one being surprisingly big.
I guess local politics also played a part.
I doubt Czechs have any extra Russian sympathy not found in Hungary.

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Not sure they need much redemption in the first place.

By which you mean that there is nothing left to redeem?
It's pretty clear for some time that this German government will stall and sabotage weapon transfers as far as it's practical to do so.