Music: Sharing and Listening - The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between

xzar_monty

recent recovered audio (remastered) o' an early 1970s steely dan beer commercial jingle... never released 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 7/24/2023 at 1:38 PM, xzar_monty said:

Duran Duran wrote superb pop music, I mean just really effing brilliant, please don't put them down in any way.

That was not my intention. I just acknowledge not everyone likes their pop/brand and thus may not pay attention or care re: instrument/musicianship. Like my long suffering older brother. :shifty:

I stopped paying attention during/after Seven and the Ragged Tiger 'cause that was when I started dating and stopped paying attention to much of anything outside of that, haha. Plus I didn't really like that album much. Then years later I heard Ordinary World being played while in a mall and thought "that voice is familiar." I still don't pay much attention to them in current times but it's nice to know they're still around. I think they were put in the hall of fame a while back too.

Duran Duran and Rio are still the fave albums of theirs, although I do like the singles Ordinary World/Come Undone a lot.
Simon Le Bon is one of those odd singers for me where when I listen to him I feel like he doesn't really have a great singing style - it's weirdly (to me) like he is always almost on the verge of going out of tune yet he doesn't quite - yet it works for the band/music they create. Heh.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

22 minutes ago, bugarup said:

Everything can be music. :yes:

As evidenced by Björk.

Kidding... mostly.

Anyway, sine y'all enjoyed the last Scooter cover so much, here's one I'd argue is even worse:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Tropico has put the part from 5:51 in the back of my mind for years

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

and

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

'cause am old

james jamerson bass

and

wilton felder, one o' the greatest motown sax players, on bass.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Perhaps the most amusing thing to me about Elon Musk's efforts to rebrand Twitter was that it runs afoul of an existing trademark in Japan for the long-running progressive metal band X Japan:

X Japan halt Twitter's rebrand in Japan, as band return with first music in eight years

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I'm not sure how well it holds up to modern recordings (recording quality), but dang I listened to a lot of Accept during the early 80's.... first bought their albums on vinyl and later on cd during the latter part of the 80's, gradually phasing out my old vinyls as cd's became available

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 7/30/2023 at 3:24 PM, Sarex said:

Well, now you made me tumble down memory lane:

Oh look, it is also a cover. Sort of. Then there's an actual full cover of the Ultravox Classic that I have lying around here:

Of course, there's also the Edguy cover:

And for no other particular reason than that it fits with the 80ies vibe even though it is not an 80ies track, here's Edguy's Vain Glory Opera.

Can someone just invent a time machine so I can just f*** off to the 90ies? :p

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I challenge people to listen to 3 minutes of this and not run over a cliff side while screaming Ding! Dong! Ding! Dong! 😄

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

52 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I challenge people to listen to 3 minutes of this and not run over a cliff side while screaming Ding! Dong! Ding! Dong! 😄

is only 2:38 minutes o' singing. "sneaky little hobbitses."

but if you want the "bell" to drive you insane, then...

and

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

is only 2:38 minutes o' singing. "sneaky little hobbitses."

but if you want the "bell" to drive you insane, then...

If Bruce Dickinson wants more cowbell, we better give him more cowbell! 😎

Haven't heard BOC in I don't know how many decades...

(you need VPN if watching from Australia, but it's worth that one extra click to watch it)

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

Udo had such a nasty voice! I wonder how it's held up.

You mean like someone carving out your eardrums with a razor blade? 😂

3 minutes ago, Gorth said:

You mean like someone carving out your eardrums with a razor blade? 😂

Yeah, something like that.

Brian Johnson is another good example of the same. I mean, you just go and try to pull off a good karaoke rendition of the song linked below. Lead vocals start at about 1:04. My throat gives up before the first line is over.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Yeah, something like that.

Brian Johnson is another good example of the same. I mean, you just go and try to pull off a good karaoke rendition of the song linked below. Lead vocals start at about 1:04. My throat gives up before the first line is over.

Good song. Fantastic in concert. :)