The TV and Streaming Thread: Pilot Week

kanisatha

Orville Ep3

I didn't like last week's episode as much as I should have, this one I probably liked more than I should

Spoiler

Again, felt like it was a remake of an episode I'd already seen somewhere else, but this time it worked a lot better. I really hope they avoid more composite CGI scenes though, the full cgi space battles are 100% fine, the cave troll like wotsit was fine too in isolation- the exception being when it had to interact with an actual person. Also, "YOU'RE STILL IN THE SIMULATION" twist perhaps a touch cliché at this point, maybe, just a smidge? Everything else was handled well though, so unlike last week more than willing to ignore the issues.

Another conn giving incident too. If we're keeping count- and I think I am- that's 2/3 episodes.

OTOH

SNW ep7

Yeah, this one didn't work for me, at all. I can't even be bothered putting anything spoilerish about it, I will just pretend it didn't exist and hope it isn't the start of the downward spiral. I suspect ignoring it isn't going to work out though, given the ending.

4 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

I can't even be bothered putting anything spoilerish about it

It has Captain Pike steering a pirate space ship with a steering wheel. That's all anyone needs to know about this episode before going in to discover the actual spoilerish part that had me equally laughing like a maniac and facepalming hard.

Spoiler

Sybok.

Edit: I posted this before the episode actually ended. I can't believe they've actually spelled that out and showed him from behind at the end of the episode. The idea is silly to begin with, but seriously, subtlety, people? A little, maybe?

Also, there was a whole lot more of that annoying bridge banter than in the last couple of episodes. Sheesh. "Take her in close." "First date or third date?" :no:

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Funny really, first real signs of some sort of multi episode plot arc and it brings out all the old problems Discovery had in spades. Though that episode would have been bad as a standalone anyway; while the idea itself wasn't fundamentally awful and has been used as an interesting set up before everything about the execution of it was abject failure.

I'm thinking subtlety with audiences these days is being shown as a potential issue.

Just look at the outrage Kenobi received because nobody wanted to wait 4 episodes for character / plot reveals.

Or maybe that's linked to tv shows where multiple episodes drop at once compared to stories that drop one episode a week?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

4 hours ago, majestic said:
Spoiler

Sybok.

I would  lol1.jpg.324112840009b4dce6915f4be5c0a294.jpg but I admit a part of me is a fanboy.jpg.0f989d5ae98d75110b18122dd116af49.jpg for ridiculous parts of TOS related TREK...

Also I just knew new TREK would go there, I just thought it'd be in DISCOVERY's 2nd season...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

15 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Orville Ep3

unlike last week more than willing to ignore the issues.

I think it was you who said it is easier to ignore some problems in The Orville than in new trek. I totally agree.

And yes, every episode has some elements seen in one or more ST episodes, sometimes the whole plot. I imagine Seth McFarlane has a long list of episodes he wants to do with his own take on the idea.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I'm totally fine with that. Orville right now is the Star Trek we want, but will never get again. Have to take it as much as we can get... especially since this is the last season.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Been watching Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story, and it's weirdly interesting and quite disturbing.

The people who worked around him being interviewed with that slightly lost and broken expression as they say variants of "But I'd never seen anyone who spent so much time doing so much good."

firefox_63Srb4AJFE.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The Boys s3 1-5. It's very strange, the show goes very hard in a lot of ways that I'm surprised it was able to get made.

13 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

firefox_63Srb4AJFE.png

Fecal matter in the eyeballs 7/10 5th best Star Wars

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hey I've liked the Obi Wan series so far. Yeah is has some plot holes and and few other story telling flaws but it's been good for me. I've really liked The Manadlorian. Haven't gotten into the Book of Boba Fett yet. When I've watched all these I'm cancelling Disney until the next season or series comes out. This is the way.

I'd totally watch the heck out of this idea:

May be an image of text

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I'd totally watch the heck out of this idea:

May be an image of text

I don't particularly care if it's Lando Calrissian or not, the Star Wars IP and the characters in it hold zero value for me at this point, but I do like the general premise. If executed well, the unreliable narrator gimmick can make for some great entertainment.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

They did do similar to that a few times for Young Indiana Jones.

Started with Harrison Ford's Indy in a situation, and have some reason for him to start talking about something only to have it fade to Sean Patrick Flanery's young Indy then have a couple of back and forths.

Given that Billy Dee Williams is 85 years old, I very much doubt he'd want to periodically fly out to film scenes, even if it's just to sit at a table. Luckily, they could just film him at his house, Cameron Mitchell style, and with today's technology green screen him into the scene.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Peaky ****ing Blinders 6 ep1-3

Somehow I missed this coming out last week. It's in line with the previous seasons, but without Helen McCrory which is a big loss that is felt throughout the show. Still it's good, maybe not **** in the eyeball good like Obi-Wan, but I'm enjoying it well enough. Also Anna Taylor-Joy gets more than she did in s5.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

When I've watched all these I'm cancelling Disney until the next season or series comes out. This is the way.

This is why they keep pumping out more shows and why Paramount has 67 NuTrek shows in the works and why there are 276 Marvel and 148 DC shows. The name of the game right now in the wild west world of 8 billion streaming services is content, and more specifically, volume of content. So long as there are enough fanboys out there that will just consume anything and everything that has the brand name of the IP that is their life identity, volume of content is far more important than quality of content. Gotta have enough of it out there to keep 'em subscribed in perpetuity.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

36 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

This is why they keep pumping out more shows and why Paramount has 67 NuTrek shows in the works and why there are 276 Marvel and 148 DC shows. The name of the game right now in the wild west world of 8 billion streaming services is content, and more specifically, volume of content. So long as there are enough fanboys out there that will just consume anything and everything that has the brand name of the IP that is their life identity, volume of content is far more important than quality of content. Gotta have enough of it out there to keep 'em subscribed in perpetuity.

It's a beautiful time to be alive if you like TV isn't it? I remember when I was a kid and we had a choice of three channels. In you hat to turn the aerial antenna in different directions for each!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Heh, fun with text to speech:

19 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

In you hat to turn the aerial antenna in different directions for each!

Guard Dog as a kid, watching TV:

inspector-gadget.jpg

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

7 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Hey I've liked the Obi Wan series so far. Yeah is has some plot holes and and few other story telling flaws but it's been good for me.

I'm enjoying it too. Blame Picard.

But it does have a lot of problems.

Spoiler

The main one so far is how Vader knew Reva was a traitor and yet let her take care of capturing Kenobi.:facepalm:

And I'm still trying to understand why he had to turn off the laser in episode 3 (?) as he could have just gone around the guard post.

lmao-laugh.gif

• Like 1

sign.jpg

We're loving the Orville, it's everything I wish nuTrek would be. 

I'm afraid to start watching Strange New Worlds because I skipped out on STD after season 2 and Picard during season 1 so I'm not sure how good it will be without being compared to it's lesser cousins.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I have exactly zero motivation to even just attempt to watch Strange New Worlds ... After all the disappointment, there's a crapton of other shows that I rather watch instead.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

20 hours ago, Lexx said:

I have exactly zero motivation to even just attempt to watch Strange New Worlds ... After all the disappointment, there's a crapton of other shows that I rather watch instead.

I wish there was a crapton of shows that I was interested in but almost nothing on TV appeals to me.

Free games updated 3/4/21