Coronavirus 666: This is one sick thread!!!

Gfted1

• 3 weeks later...

Suicide rates didn't increase during pandemic

Many people, including mental health experts, anticipated a dramatic increase in suicide rates following the outbreak of COVID-19. But in fact, this has not been the case and most of the research published in scientific journals points to either no change or a decrease in rates of suicide following the pandemic.

Well, at least there's one piece of good news. Too bad it wasn't true of domestic violence.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

14 minutes ago, rjshae said:

Suicide rates didn't increase during pandemic

Well, at least there's one piece of good news. Too bad it wasn't true of domestic violence.

I wonder if the mechanism is roughly the same as with wars: apparently the appreciation of life goes up when it's threatened. One notable consequence of war is a significant drop in suicides.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news guys, last night in SA they removed the mask mandates so its now optional

I walked into a mall yesterday and for the first time in over 2 years  I didnt wear my mask 🥳🥳

I really disliked wearing my mask and hopefully I never have to do it again

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You still have to wear them on public transports and airports with international connections, but otherwise we got rid of them a while ago. And good riddance too... nice to go shopping without a mask

Stand and deliver! Eliza Doolittle dons bank robber-style scarf across face  in London ahead of V Festival this weekend | Daily Mail Online

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

58 minutes ago, Gorth said:

You still have to wear them on public transports and airports with international connections, but otherwise we got rid of them a while ago. And good riddance too... nice to go shopping without a mask

Stand and deliver! Eliza Doolittle dons bank robber-style scarf across face  in London ahead of V Festival this weekend | Daily Mail Online

The lockdowns took many things away from our societies and what many  of us require to be mentally healthy and happy

One of the things I missed was the ability to see peoples faces and have random conversations with strangers in lines at  supermarkets and in  bars. I really enjoyed talking to strangers yesterday and we all agreed how happy we were that masks are  not mandated anymore 

I am not planning on ever wearing my mask again unless its enforced because in SA private sector businesses can still enforce it but Im not seeing that 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

One thing i noticed, now that the monkeypox is making the rounds, is that nobody seems to have learned anything from covid about how to deal with the spread.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

19 hours ago, teknoman2 said:

One thing i noticed, now that the monkeypox is making the rounds, is that nobody seems to have learned anything from covid about how to deal with the spread.

But remember these viruses are transmitted differently. Monkeypox is through physical contact and apparently quite a lot of physical contact 

Corona is through invisible molecules that linger in the air, its respiratory 

John Milton 

8 hours ago, BruceVC said:

But remember these viruses are transmitted differently. Monkeypox is through physical contact and apparently quite a lot of physical contact 

The CDC does recommend that people diagnosed with monkeypox wear a mask because it can be communicated through airborne droplets. But you need to be in very close proximity for it to be passed.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rjshae said:

The CDC does recommend that people diagnosed with monkeypox wear a mask because it can be communicated through airborne droplets. But you need to be in very close proximity for it to be passed.

Mask recommendation is probably because virus can spread through saliva in cause person has infection in their mouth 

How does monkeypox spread from person to person?
People with monkeypox are infectious while they have symptoms (normally for between two and four weeks). You can catch monkeypox through close physical contact with someone who has symptoms. The rash, bodily fluids (such as fluid, pus or blood from skin lesions) and scabs are particularly infectious. Clothing, bedding, towels or objects like eating utensils/dishes that have been contaminated with the virus from contact with an infected person can also infect others.

Ulcers, lesions or sores in the mouth can also be infectious, meaning the virus can spread through saliva. People who closely interact with someone who is infectious, including health workers, household members and sexual partners are therefore at greater risk for infection.

The virus can also spread from someone who is pregnant to the foetus from the placenta, or from an infected parent to child during or after birth through skin-to-skin contact.

It is not clear whether people who do not have symptoms can spread the disease.

https://www.who.int/news-room/questions-and-answers/item/monkeypox?gclid=CjwKCAjw5NqVBhAjEiwAeCa97UAbJNgK0iOtHPAQjY1tdEYpq7A_Zl6HjoEOe6eIho1TNcrBS_qcCBoCpn4QAvD_BwE

On 6/25/2022 at 7:40 AM, BruceVC said:

What i mean is that the media (at least here in Greece) are making a big deal about the spread of this dangerous infectious disease, they say no factual thing about it (like symptoms, how it spreads, how its treated and so on) and at the same time nobody seems to be taking any measures for it. This is the problem with sensationalist journalism.

On the other hand, the "experts" they have on tv are giving conflicting reports. On one hand they say "long covid" to describe problems that may appear on other organs after someone got it, on the other when asked about other viruses and if their altered behavior is related to covid's effects on the body they reply with "no, covid is strictly a respiratory disease and doesn't affect other parts of the body". Both these statements can't be true at the same time.

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

30 minutes ago, teknoman2 said:

What i mean is that the media (at least here in Greece) are making a big deal about the spread of this dangerous infectious disease, they say no factual thing about it (like symptoms, how it spreads, how its treated and so on) and at the same time nobody seems to be taking any measures for it. This is the problem with sensationalist journalism.

Oh yes thats the same as the SA media, we had lots of attention on this disease and lack  of real information. Including misinformation through SM as usual  with some people saying " its a gay disease, only the gays can get it " and then false outrage about " why are only black people being shown in photos in the Western media with this disease when their are no cases in Africa " 

Monkeypox has been around for decades and was first observed in West Africa. And as usual with all diseases and viruses like Corona and HIV any human being can get a virus. It makes no difference what your race is 

I remember when Corona first started their were people in SA saying " only rich white people who go skiing in Italy can get this virus " :lol: 

John Milton 

26 minutes ago, teknoman2 said:

On the other hand, the "experts" they have on tv are giving conflicting reports. On one hand they say "long covid" to describe problems that may appear on other organs after someone got it, on the other when asked about other viruses and if their altered behavior is related to covid's effects on the body they reply with "no, covid is strictly a respiratory disease and doesn't affect other parts of the body". Both these statements can't be true at the same time.

Virus mainly targets respiratory organs, but it can infect and damage heart’s muscle tissue like other respiratory viruses

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/heart-problems-after-covid19

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Elerond said:

Virus mainly targets respiratory organs, but it can infect and damage heart’s muscle tissue like other respiratory viruses

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/heart-problems-after-covid19

The point is not if it can or not hurt the heart or other organs, its how it both can and can't at the same time depending on the desired media narrative.

-Teknoman2-

1 minute ago, teknoman2 said:

The point is not if it can or not hurt the heart or other organs, its how it both can and can't at the same time depending on the desired media narrative.

My point is that as it provably can hurt heart and some other non respiratory organs, then narrative which claims that it can't is provably false, if narrative does not use things like most likely will not, usually will not etc.

kinda innocuous, right?

read the responses.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think Elmo could take Ted Cruz in a fight.

• Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 4 weeks later...

Newly published evidence points to Wuhan seafood market as pandemic origin point

This week, an international team of scientists published two extensive, peer-reviewed papers in Science, offering the strongest evidence to date that the COVID-19 pandemic originated in animals at a market in Wuhan, China. Specifically, they conclude that the coronavirus most likely jumped from a caged wild animal into people at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market, where a huge COVID-19 outbreak began in December 2019.

What I wonder is whether they can back-track the animal origins from the market? But I'd imagine the trail has grown pretty cold at this point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rjshae said:

Newly published evidence points to Wuhan seafood market as pandemic origin point

What I wonder is whether they can back-track the animal origins from the market? But I'd imagine the trail has grown pretty cold at this point.

But I always  thought the general scientific  consensus was that it was a Zoonotic disease and it originated from the Wuhan animal market  ? Thats what I always believed because of all the other various viruses transmitted from animals, the lab  story was more a theory but not as credible as the animal market?

John Milton 

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

But I always  thought the general scientific  consensus was that it was a Zoonotic disease and it originated from the Wuhan animal market  ? Thats what I always believed because of all the other various viruses transmitted from animals, the lab  story was more a theory but not as credible as the animal market?

Agreed. Weird dietary habits led to everything from SARS to Covid in recent decades... the lab was just a coincidence, that it happened to be in the same city as the outbreak. Also helped bring the spotlight on some shady research going on, on the side (unrelated to Covid19).

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, BruceVC said:

What this does is provide stronger physical evidence of the origin and weakens (but does not eliminate) the lab hypothesis. When a skeptic asks, "where's the proof?", they can now be pointed to this study.

• Like 1

Out government just removed the COVID-19 quarantine in favor of mandating FFP2 masks if you're infected, have no symptoms and want to leave home. Technically that means you're allowed to sit in a pub as long as you wear a mask, but you're not allowed to drink anything. Bet you the owners are going to be as happy about someone sitting there with a mask on as every other guest. :facepalm:

Not entirely against dropping the quarantine, but as always, the implemented solution has... rather curious peculiarities. The change was made primarily to get symptomless infected back into the workforce in some way.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

9 minutes ago, majestic said:

Out government just removed the COVID-19 quarantine in favor of mandating FFP2 masks if you're infected, have no symptoms and want to leave home. Technically that means you're allowed to sit in a pub as long as you wear a mask, but you're not allowed to drink anything. Bet you the owners are going to be as happy about someone sitting there with a mask on as every other guest. :facepalm:

Not entirely against dropping the quarantine, but as always, the implemented solution has... rather curious peculiarities. The change was made primarily to get symptomless infected back into the workforce in some way.

One of the biggest and valid criticisms towards most of our governments is these types of inconsistencies around policy, its incredibly frustrating 

In SA we dropped all Covid restrictions. They failed anyway, we had about 80-90%  of population  who  got the virus or had anti-bodies from vaccines . Our scientists test the sewerage and extrapolate the data and that's how they know

My view is simple, if vaccines are available what's the point of any lockdowns if they fail anyway to stop the virus spreading because  all lockdowns did in the case of SA is harm and destroy the economy 

John Milton 

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

My view is simple, if vaccines are available what's the point of any lockdowns if they fail anyway to stop the virus spreading because  all lockdowns did in the case of SA is harm and destroy the economy 

For me it was always about the hospitalization rate. If you can keep the rate manageable without a lockdown, then you should consider avoiding a lockdown because it can do more harm than good. That's probably where the US is now, although mask requirements can still be helpful as a pre-emptive measure.

• Like 1