The TV and Streaming Thread: Where is Ricky Gervais when you need him???

Zoraptor

From what I read

he was rubbing his neck where Spock pinched him and maybe something else. I guess I could watch both scenes and compare but I really don't want to get more involved than just reading about it

Could be just another "hey remember this guy moment" and fans are reading too much into it but the posts made it sound there was slightly more to it.

• Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

10 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

From what I read

Reveal hidden contents

he was rubbing his neck where Spock pinched him and maybe something else. I guess I could watch both scenes and compare but I really don't want to get more involved than just reading about it

Could be just another "hey remember this guy moment" and fans are reading too much into it but the posts made it sound there was slightly more to it.

No they're not, I just checked, it's even the same guy (same actor).

Holy cow that makes everything just dumberer...

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

39 minutes ago, majestic said:

No they're not, I just checked, it's even the same guy (same actor).

Holy cow that makes everything just dumberer...

If you want to go one better, it's a throw-in reference for the fans as a call-back to Star Trek IV.  But also..  Kevin Feige is a fairly big Trekkie, and got the actor to do a cameo as the same punk in Spider-Man Homecoming.

So potentially you could have a Star Trek / Marvel Universe cross-over now...

• Gasp! 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Honestly, I'd say that actual CW genre drama style Trek would be an active improvement over what we've got, since you tended to at least get a few good seasons out of them.

As much as something like Flash is a bit of a joke now, it at least had 2-3 decently entertaining seasons where you'd finish your 40 minutes feeling that the time wasn't wasted and you were more or less entertained.

• Like 2

You guys make me glad I don't subscribe to anything showing the new Star Treks. I've never seen anything beyond the clips Redlettermedia showed of season 1.

I'm watching Maniac on Netflix. It's interesting. I'm not engrossed by it, but I don't hate it. That's a win for Netflix.

Jonah Hill plays a Schizophrenic who thinks the pattern is trying to lure him into a drug trial to save the world. Emma Stone plays a stoner who just wants the drugs. Meanwhile the drug trial seems to be some weird drug ****tail and AI computer that's going to help them with their traumas. Because of course a comedy has to help everyone overcome their traumas and find themselves.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Regarding Guinan...

my understanding is the argument the producers are making is this isnt an alternate timeline like Yesterday's Enterprise or even City on the Edge of Forever (where the Enterprise disappears in the future until they stop McCoy) but Q altered the existing Timeline. Whatever allowed Guinan to recognize the time change in YE isn't in play because it's not an alternate timeline.

Note I still haven't watched Picard, I've only read some of the back-and-forth online.

• Hmmm 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

I'd rather have Marvel Star Trek than the CW Star Trek we have now.

This is some real moneky's paw ****. Do you remember the Star Wars sequels and the Disney+ series? Imagine they do something like Book of Boba Fett for Tasha Yar's Romulan daughter and contemplate the ruin you have invited.

Anyways Norsemen s3 - the prequel. It's more of the same, minus Rufus of Rome. 

• Thanks 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Regarding Guinan...

Hide contents

my understanding is the argument the producers are making is this isnt an alternate timeline like Yesterday's Enterprise or even City on the Edge of Forever (where the Enterprise disappears in the future until they stop McCoy) but Q altered the existing Timeline. Whatever allowed Guinan to recognize the time change in YE isn't in play because it's not an alternate timeline.

Note I still haven't watched Picard, I've only read some of the back-and-forth online.

I dunno but I'd like to echo O'Brien's sentiments on timey wimey stuff.

I always though of Yesterday's Enterprise as the latter of those two since things go back to how they were supposed to be rather than them continuing in that alternate timeline. I'm also not sure there's really a difference there either but in the end it doesn't really matter, I guess. Would not be the first time Trek has dropped the ball as old Trek wasn't always consistent either.

E: regarding CW shows, I really liked a lot of seasons of Supernatural so I agree that it's not all bad

Edited by ShadySands
Sorry for ranting, a bit tipsy

I watched Halo episode 1. It wasn't egregiously bad, but I did fall asleep and miss the last ten minutes, which was not a good sign considering that hasn't happened to me in years.

I actually rather liked the miniseries from a few years ago with Susan from the Narnia movies (Forward Unto Dawn, and apparently a movie, definitely shown episodic here though).

As much as most of you seem to dislike the new Treks, I also am one who doesn't understand why y'all seem to keep on watching them. Is it a "watching a train wreck" type thing, so to speak?

...I remember watching that first episode of Picard ssn1 when they put it up for free on the web to promote it. I immediately decided that outside of simply enjoying seeing Patrick Stewart again it wasn't going to be for me and haven't bothered even looking up clips for it, let alone subbing to Paramount (or whoever it is that owns it, I forget offhand, pfft). I didn't hate that first episode but .. eh, didn't care either.

...I mean, I can watch a lot of "bad" TV sometimes if bored enough so maybe I can understand it a little bit, but...just like with anything (new) Star Wars, I've lost all interest in anything (new) Star Trek. It's not just whether the writing is good or logical etc per se ... a lot of creative/writing/thematic trends in tv/film is just not what I look for (or I became bored of already), in general. Another sign of becoming your parents, right.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, I'm not watching it. :) There's lots of other stuff more worthy of my time, even if it's just sitting on the couch and watching a white wall.

That said, I started The Handmaid's Tale last week. Been through s1 and started s2 now. It's a tv show about Texas in 10 years (hehe). It's generally not bad, but has some quite unrealistic moments that pull me out of it a lot. Like, fertile women are super precious, but the government doesn't have a problem at all with sending them to "the colonies" where they will painfully die due to radiation exposure and stuff like that. Just doesn't really make sense to me.

I kinda didn't want to keep watching it, because it does have a sense of mediocrity to it, but at the same time I keep going back to it to watch the next episode. My Texas joke above is of course hyperbole, but at the same time, many of the current regulations and laws that are being introduced by some american states right now do feel an awful lot like what's happening in the tv show.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

6 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

like a lot of people couldn't stop watching cw show no matter how bad they get

I think that's what people mean when they talk about "sunk cost fallacy" re: TV series, like Lost, or The Walking Dead. I sort of understand that one too, but I've never done it. Loved Supernatural for 7 seasons, started to find it "eh" after season 8-9, and then stopped entirely. Stopped Walking Dead too. Same with Game of Thrones and many others. I guess my hope-o-meter isn't large enough, haha.

I also tried watching Sharknado because of all the 'net hype about how bad it's funny it was, but I didn't make it past 10-15 minutes before I basically FFWD'd to the credits then turned it off.  :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

6 hours ago, Lexx said:

It's a tv show about Texas in 10 years (hehe).

10 years may be a bit optimistic. https://www.npr.org/2022/02/28/1083536401/texas-abortion-law-6-months

Anna's water had broken too early for the baby to survive. She and Scott spent the night of their wedding in the emergency room, trying to take in the heartbreaking news.

"Basically, the doctor looked at me and was like, well, the baby's underdeveloped," says Anna. "Even with the best NICU care in the world, they're not going to survive."

And as painful as it was to hear that, the doctors told Anna there was another urgent concern.

" 'You're at a high chance of going septic or bleeding out,' " she says the doctors told her — a risk of infection or hemorrhage, which could become deadly. " 'And unfortunately, we recommend termination, but we cannot provide you one here in Texas because of this law.' "

Would fit in Handmaid's Tale I guess, but I haven't watched it.

What I have watched is more Norsemen.

Edited by KP wants Blue Velvet

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

TNG Genesis-we continue on the 'ST does horror' tour. Barclay's genetics cause problems when Dr Crusher 's cure backfire and devolves everyone. It's a fun 'crew turn to monsters and someone has to creep through dark corridors' run around with some nice monster suits.

I did wonder if this episode is why Discovery went with the slightly more lizards look for their Klingons.

Speaking of Discovery, I'm about halfway through season 2. I enjoyed the revisit to Talos IV, even if I found the differences in how the characters looked (outfits, Talosian makeup) a bit distracting (made more so with an episode launching with scenes from THE CAGE).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm not watching the new Trek shows either, I gave up on Picard and never finished season 1 and I stopped watching Discovery after the second season. I also haven't tried Prodigy as it doesn't appeal to me and I've only seen the first batch of Short Treks but I do kinda like Lower Decks enough to occasionally watch it. That said, I watch and read way too much related to it between here, RLM, and the Star Trek subreddit (it's hard to avoid nuTrek there because it covers all Trek). 

PS I hope that Strange New Worlds will finally be the nuTrek show that I've been waiting for but hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Edited by ShadySands

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

PS I hope that Strange New Worlds will finally be the nuTrek show that I've been waiting for but hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Abandon all hope.

6DS94kq.jpeg

• Sad 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

48 minutes ago, majestic said:

I just can't get over Wil Wheaton asking Kurtzman how it feels to spearhead this new 'golden age' of Star Trek. :x

It's literally his job to be a shill. Plus, there's always the chance, however small, that he's genuinely excited for this stuff. I'm already in the acceptance stage of my Star Trek grief, that kind of stuff doesn't really bother me. I'm at peace with the fact that the Star Trek I loved is dead and never coming back. Whoever watches and enjoys Nu Trek can have it. I'm just here for the memes... And to derive perverse pleasure from Mike Stoklasa & Rich Evans getting increasingly exasperated as they try to make sense of these shows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, majestic said:

I just can't get over Wil Wheaton asking Kurtzman how it feels to spearhead this new 'golden age' of Star Trek. :x

Whenever I hear about Wil Wheaton, I think of his 2020 role in Rent-A-Pal where he (or his recording) convinces a guy to kill his mom and girlfriend.