The All Things Political Topic - All people love themselves too much to be changed by something as simple as love.

Gromnir

Oh boy. :p

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

My spellcheck picks it up but since this is a gaming forum and not an English course I dont always update it , sorry Gorthfuscious. I will endeavor to do better with the correct usage of their\ther:biggrin:

My spellcheck picks it up but, since this is a gaming forum and not an English course, I don't always update it, sorry Gorthfucious. I will endeavor to do better with the correct usage of their, there and they're. :biggrin:

Based purely on grammatical rules, the extra commas in the first part (the ones marked orange) are not stricly necessary, but help illustrate the point of the sentence by putting an added focus on the reason you're trying to present, i.e. your lack of orthographic and grammatical preciseness isn't related to a lack of knowledge or inability, but an intrinsic disdain for the medium it is presented in, making it not worth the effort in your mind.

Contractions always contain an apostrophe where letters are left out, it is don't, not dont. In English orthography there never is a space in front of any punctuation marks. That's pretty much the case for any European language except for French, which for some godforsaken reason puts a space before an exclamation or question mark. Probably because it's from France. The French like to claim it is more pleasant to read which is, to borrow a term from their hereditary enemy, bollocks.

The English name of 孔夫子, Confucius (taken from Latin), doesn't have that superflous 's' in there.

If you must use slashes to separate independent items in a list, then at least use regular ones. 

Periods are used to end sentences, an emoji is most certainly not a sufficient substitute.

Look at you, you little grammar Nazi :teehee: ( and thats just a joke, its not about your countries support for the Nazis during WW2. I feel I have to clarify certain comments I make because people take me seriously sometimes )

Look at you, you little grammar Nazi (and that's just a joke, it's not about your county's support for the Nazis during WW2, I feel I have to clarify certain comments I make because people take me seriously sometimes). :teehee:

5zs4lx.jpg

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

23 minutes ago, majestic said:

Oh boy. :p

Based purely on grammatical rules, the extra commas in the first part (the ones marked orange) are not stricly necessary, but help illustrate the point of the sentence by putting an added focus on the reason you're trying to present, i.e. your lack of orthographic and grammatical preciseness isn't related to a lack of knowledge or inability, but an intrinsic disdain for the medium it is presented in, making it not worth the effort in your mind.

Contractions always contain an apostrophe where letters are left out, it is don't, not dont. In English orthography there never is a space in front of any punctuation marks. That's pretty much the case for any European language except for French, which for some godforsaken reason puts a space before an exclamation or question mark. Probably because it's from France. The French like to claim it is more pleasant to read which is, to borrow a term from their hereditary enemy, bollocks.

The English name of 孔夫子, Confucius (taken from Latin), doesn't have that superflous 's' in there.

If you must use slashes to separate independent items in a list, then at least use regular ones. 

Periods are used to end sentences, an emoji is most certainly not a sufficient substitute.

5zs4lx.jpg

Thanks Majestic, its very seldom people put this much effort into my posts. I didnt think you cared but I was clearly wrong. Is this a NY resolution to be a better forum friend to me?

Does this mean you wont be calling me a fascist\racist\colonialist anymore :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

18 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

@Gromnir

Wasn't Eps on a paylist for some clandestine us agency in the past? 

relevance? is accusations o' epstein being involved with israelis, russians or others, and possible sharing some info with fbi on the side as conjecture regarding his initial 2007(?) sweetheart deal. so, make the link 'tween such and a staged suicide in jail, 'cause am not gonna do it for you... or were you just doing a rando non-sequitur thing? 

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

11 hours ago, majestic said:

Contractions always contain an apostrophe where letters are left out, it is don't, not dont.

*strictly

That first comma in that second paragraph is probably best replaced by a period or a semi-colon.

*superfluous

• Like 3

can't imagine why some people in Congress wanted an investigation surrounding the events o' january 6. after all, we could all see what happened, yes?

one suspects at least a few o' the people from the linked video genuine believe what they is saying. relevant to another thread as well. conservative echo chamber has resulted in faith based view o' reality which all too often in 2022 is significant divorced from facts.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Fake news made to make Trump supporters look bad, but what else would you expect from Fake News Network. :shrugz: 

Spoiler

Just because it's necessary here, sadly: I'm not serious guys.

Spoiler

Or am I?

• Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

17 minutes ago, majestic said:

Fake news made to make Trump supporters look bad, but what else would you expect from Fake News Network. :shrugz: 

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Or am I?

I only trust the alternative fact network.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well they obviously didn't talk to the Trump fans that destroyed them with facts and reasoning.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

40 minutes ago, majestic said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Or am I?

perhaps amusing is a couple years past we mighta' suggested the above piece were likely edited to make republicans look worse than they is. no, is not as if we were thinking mr. o'sullivan would fake interviews, but if you interview a few dozen people and four o' 'em are loons, then it wouldn't shock us if the loons were figured more prominent than they deserved to be. is also ez to take a single observation or statement outta context.  we recognize media bias and am actual ok with it. is hardly strange that reporters and news organizations got beliefs which color their opinions same as does the rest o' us. has never been some kinda rule that all news must be dispassionate reported. put your big boy pants on when watching or reading news and realize there is likely gonna be some level o' skew.

the problem for us is in our conversations with living and breathing conservatives over the past few years, we have increasingly witnessed the kinda insanity visible in the above video clip. we live in a community which had most neighbors (overwhelming most) vote for trump. not all is antivaxxers, not even most, but is too many who do embrace such insanity and they seem to believe that their particular brand o' denialism and self-harm is actual the majority pov o' their neighbors. if your neighbors is polite and don't call you out on your antivaxx wackiness, these folks take instead as agreement. the more disturbing aspect is how frequent we hear tucker carlson nonsense come outta the mouths o' our neighbors. fbi were behind januar6? okie dokie. is also the weird and quixotic stated belief that blm and antifa were behind january 6 badness, but that for the most part january 6 were just a peaceful protest which is overblown and exaggerated by the media... which is weird views to try and square simultaneous, no? 

regardless, is increasing difficult to find what we think o' as traditional conservatives, or at least is difficult to find those who is willing to say anything contrary to the current narrative o' crazy which has taken hold o' the gop. cnn and mr. sullivan most assured do not need work hard or selective edit to make republicans as a whole look unhinged. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps just so is clear, am not thinking most republicans is unhinged, but all too many are willing to embrace the insanity or are at least refusing to reject the crazy in their party. many o' our republican neighbors is retired military, far more than national average. when the rittenhouse stuff were big news, those retired military men were tending to agree that kyle's behavior were not reasonable and definitely not laudable, but when they were in a group with other republicans parroting fox news, those military guys became noticeable and uncharacteristic taciturn. if you listen only to the loudest republican voices, is gonna be ez to see 'em all as unhinged, which is fair but perhaps not as accurate as you might believe.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I had a crazy facebook friend connect Omikron: The Nomad Soul to the new strain of Covid. Apparently it is a conspiracy by Microsoft, and the game is a sign of that. :blink:

That's a new one. I guess Square Enix wanted to drive up sales of Final Fantasy.

I've either lucked out and personally avoided the most bizarre conspiracy stuff or have finally achieved the ability to tune out nonsense, which would be a win in itself.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

43 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I had a crazy facebook friend connect Omikron: The Nomad Soul to the new strain of Covid. Apparently it is a conspiracy by Microsoft, and the game is a sign of that. :blink:

I'm surprised anyone remembers that game. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

57 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

'cause bill gates believes he is actual a member o' batman's or the flash's rogues gallery and as such he were compelled by his special brand o' crazy to leave clues about his evil scheme two decades in advance via a french game developer's mostly  forgotten product.

as an aside, if it weren't for david bowie's contribution, we would have had no idea what you were talking 'bout.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 2

aside:

if bill gates did have a plan from the last century to kill more than five million people by virus and his predictions were so precise he somehow knew that the omicron variant o' said virus would be causing global concern, then am thinking we should just be done with it and declare him Emperor o' The World, 'cause that is the kinda mad sooper genius you need murdering for you as 'posed to looking at you as a potential future victim. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

You liberals, we cant take you anywhere :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

For a dose of the political humour... :)

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-59880166

Russian-led military troops will be deployed to help "stabilise" Kazakhstan amid anti-government demonstrations.

President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev called for support from the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) as nationwide unrest escalates.

The protests were first sparked by rising fuel prices, but have broadened to include other political grievances.

President Tokayev is only the second person to lead Kazakhstan since it declared independence in 1991. His election, in 2019, was condemned by the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) as showing scant respect for democratic standards.

Much of the anger on the streets, however, seems to have been aimed at his predecessor, Nursultan Nazarbayev, who has held a powerful national security role since stepping down. On Wednesday, he was fired in a bid to subdue the growing unrest.

Not really much of an opinion on that one to be honest, except possibly, that chaos is something that should be avoided in everyone's best interest. Too many opportunities for extremist groups (ISIS, AQ etc.) to find a new home in inaccessible parts of the world, if Kazakhstan disintegrates.

• Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Russian-led military troops will be deployed to help "stabilise" Kazakhstan amid anti-government demonstrations.

President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev called for support from the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) as nationwide unrest escalates.

The protests were first sparked by rising fuel prices, but have broadened to include other political grievances.

President Tokayev is only the second person to lead Kazakhstan since it declared independence in 1991. His election, in 2019, was condemned by the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) as showing scant respect for democratic standards.

Much of the anger on the streets, however, seems to have been aimed at his predecessor, Nursultan Nazarbayev, who has held a powerful national security role since stepping down. On Wednesday, he was fired in a bid to subdue the growing unrest.

Not really much of an opinion on that one to be honest, except possibly, that chaos is something that should be avoided in everyone's best interest. Too many opportunities for extremist groups (ISIS, AQ etc.) to find a new home in inaccessible parts of the world, if Kazakhstan disintegrates.

Interesting, dont you think Russia should stay out the affairs of other countries when the majority of the civilians in that country express their Democrat right to protest and or want political  change ?

John Milton 

47 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Interesting, dont you think Russia should stay out the affairs of other countries when the majority of the civilians in that country express their Democrat right to protest and or want political  change ?

It sounds nice… until you think about it. See my comment about chaos. Kazakhstan had no democratic culture. They wouldn’t know what to do with democracy no matter how many bombs you drop on them. We’re talking about mobs that are angry at the previous ruler because of fuel prices, not the current president (who is new in office, relatively, and kicked out the previous guy from his self appointed security chief position). Like it or not, the best and lasting changes happens gradually when a society “matures” (imho). Until then, failed states doesn’t benefit anyone. Not the Russians, not The West and least of all the Kazakh people.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

40 minutes ago, Gorth said:

It sounds nice… until you think about it. See my comment about chaos. Kazakhstan had no democratic culture. They wouldn’t know what to do with democracy no matter how many bombs you drop on them. We’re talking about mobs that are angry at the previous ruler because of fuel prices, not the current president (who is new in office, relatively, and kicked out the previous guy from his self appointed security chief position). Like it or not, the best and lasting changes happens gradually when a society “matures” (imho). Until then, failed states doesn’t benefit anyone. Not the Russians, not The West and least of all the Kazakh people.

Damnit, you caught me out. I wasnt sure if you were following the reasons for these protests...well played. Its not about the principles of Democracy 

I am sure if you ask  most people on this forum  " what do you think about the government of Kazakhstan " they will say " Kazakhstan who " ? :biggrin: ( but the truth is why would most people know much about  central Asian countries like this? Unless you a fan of Borat of course then you may have heard of it )

John Milton 

10 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Damnit, you caught me out. I wasnt sure if you were following the reasons for these protests...well played. Its not about the principles of Democracy 

I am sure if you ask  most people on this forum  " what do you think about the government of Kazakhstan " they will say " Kazakhstan who " ? :biggrin: ( but the truth is why would most people know much about  central Asian countries like this? Unless you a fan of Borat of course then you may have heard of it )

"Borat" is probably the extent of the majority of the forum members knowledge of Kazakhstan 🙄

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443453/

edit: Yes, I expect there to be exceptions to this, but, the majority? Nah ;)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gorth said:

I do appreciate quotation marks here, because the sentence's basically the same as "Shark troops will be deployed to help stabilize the ocean in the place of a shipwreck".  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bugarup said:

I do appreciate quotation marks here, because the sentence's basically the same as "Shark troops will be deployed to help stabilize the ocean in the place of a shipwreck".  

What does that mean...

• Hmmm 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP