The Cinema and Movie Thread

Amentep

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 3/18/2022 at 9:13 PM, rjshae said:

No Jeremy Irons no care.

I love the fact that my man realized what kind of movie he was in and decided to ham it up so hard that even Jeff Goldblum would have been jealous, elevating an otherwise meh movie into something fun.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Oh come on, everyone knows Bruce Payne's Damodar was the real star - he's the only person  they brought back for the sequel!

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 3/19/2022 at 7:24 PM, Lexx said:

Watched the new spider man. Bit long in the middle, but other than that I liked it.

My favourite part was how supportive the spidermans were of each other. 

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

That reminds me, was the amazing spider man any good? It's the only movie I haven't seen and somehow I can't get motivated to try it.

/Edit: Oh wow, they even made 2 movies of it.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

3 hours ago, Lexx said:

That reminds me, was the amazing spider man any good? It's the only movie I haven't seen and somehow I can't get motivated to try it.

/Edit: Oh wow, they even made 2 movies of it.

Andrew Garfield is good. I just watched the two with my kids this weekend. It takes itself a bit too seriously, but there are some good performances. The Rhino cameo might be the best part of the whole series though.

I don't think the villains were treated well, and Garfield's Peter Parker may be a bit more cool than Peter is historically. But his quippy Spider-Man is solid and they did the Gwen Stacy stuff well.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Mmmm, loving slow-mo flybys of the Enterprise in space dock...

17 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Mmmm, loving slow-mo flybys of the Enterprise in space dock...

Secretly, the best Star Trek movie. Also, I love the uniforms they use only in this 1 movie. They are so 70s and look so comfy.

star-trek-the-motion-picture-uniforms.jp

The uniforms they use from Wrath of Khan onwards look like they suck to wear.

Star-Trek-Wrath-of-Khan-03.jpg

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I love Star Trek the Motion Picture.  When it came out in 1979 I begged my parents to take us, but they couldn't afford to.  So I watched it when it premiered in 1983 on ABC.

To be honest I'm fascinated by Star Trek: Phase II which TMP grew out of.  If I was a super-giant-colossal name in film & television, I'd totally be pitching to Paramount a Star Trek: Phase II show (as an alternative timeline piece).  That's just the kind of weirdo I am.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Amentep said:

If I was a super-giant-colossal name in film & television, I'd totally be pitching to Paramount a Star Trek: Phase II show (as an alternative timeline piece).

That would be awesome, but you'd have to figure out a way to keep Kurtzman and Goldsman completely out of it. The instant either one of those hack frauds put their vile fingerprints on the project your glorious Phase 2 dreams would turn into a violent and melodramatic nightmare.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

3 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Is it dark, gritty, emotional, and cynical enough for nuTrek?

Probably not. 😄 

3 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

That would be awesome, but you'd have to figure out a way to keep Kurtzman and Goldsman completely out of it. The instant either one of those hack frauds put their vile fingerprints on the project your glorious Phase 2 dreams would turn into a violent and melodramatic nightmare.

Well the idea was to be such a super-giant-colossal name in film & television that I couldn't be told "no".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nobody should wanna know how Gromnir's brain works. nevertheless, am sharing a brief trip down the rabbit hole.

so @ShadySands made the following post yesterday:

which 'cause o' the mentat thing reminded us o'...

crop;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60.jpg

the thing is, we couldn't help but notice how the sun were coming from a direction to make the parasol somewhat ineffective as it is being held, which brought to mind a bit o' peter ustinov from spartacus

the parasol bit by sir ustinov were improv.

and then we recalled ustinov's grandfather were a russian noble, which got us thinking 'bout...

and so on and etc.

a single image leads us ever more far afield from the original subject matter... and on that note, am gonna bring back to brad, albeit from deadwood.

HA! Good Fun!

ps and thinking 'bout brad dourif career, we couldn't help but recall a few o' the werner herzog collaborations, such as...

Edited by Gromnir
  • Haha 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

20 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Secretly, the best Star Trek movie.

18 hours ago, Amentep said:

I love Star Trek the Motion Picture.

I think that it really is peak Trek. In many ways Wrath of Khan (the standard best Trek movie by most) works better as a sci-fi movie, but TMP feels more unique and more like Star Trek to me.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I have decided to watch all the X-men movies I havent seen before in the correct order which should be 

• X-Men Origins
  • X-Men Days of Future Past
  • X-Men Apocalypse
  • X-Men Dark Phoenix 

Im excited :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I have decided to watch all the X-men movies I havent seen before in the correct order which should be 

• X-Men Origins
  • X-Men Days of Future Past
  • X-Men Apocalypse
  • X-Men Dark Phoenix 

Im excited :dancing:

Is "X-Men Origins", X-Men Origins: Wolverine, or since it seems like you missed the second cycle of films, do you mean X-Men: First Class?

You saw the Deadpool films and New Mutants? 

Dark Phoenix was really bad. I fell asleep again in the middle. Days of Future Past was better than I had expected, tbh. Rest of the movies I really can't remember.

• Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

16 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Is "X-Men Origins", X-Men Origins: Wolverine, or since it seems like you missed the second cycle of films, do you mean X-Men: First Class?

You saw the Deadpool films and New Mutants? 

Yes I mean  Origins : Wolverine 

And I have seen X-Men: United and X-Men: Last Stand. First Class isnt available on our DSTV 

Where does New Mutants and Deadpool fit in to correct viewing order?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'd go with  -

• X-Men - good
  • X2 - great
  • The Last Stand - a huge disappointment
  • First Class - great
  • Days of Future Past - good
  • Apocalypse - not so good
  • Dark Phoenix - a huge disappointment
  • Origins: Wolverine - mixed (some very bad elements mixed with some okay)
  • The Wolverine - great
  • Logan - great
  • Deadpool  - funny
  • Deadpool 2  - funny
  • The New Mutants - good, but also disappointing
6 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Yes I mean  Origins : Wolverine 

And I have seen X-Men: United and X-Men: Last Stand. First Class isnt available on our DSTV 

Where does New Mutants and Deadpool fit in to correct viewing order?

While New Mutants was released last, it was supposed to come out after Apocalypse and before Dark Phoenix.  Parts of New Mutants, however, seem to reference the end of Logan which would put it chronologically last (and which just adds to the gibberish continuity of Fox's X-Men films).

Deadpool and Deadpool 2 come in before New Mutants (but continuity wise, these three films share only tangential relationship with the main series).

• Like 2