The All-Things Cinema thread

Amentep

2 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Yeah, like for starters it's illegal to sleep in your car in a lot of places. If the movie didn't feature her getting harassed by the popo then it isn't realistic. 

Didn't get harassed by the police, but a couple of times by property owners who told her she couldn't be there. However, it makes sense in the context of the film, because she mostly was finding places out in the middle of nowhere to stay, often times by other nomads (there was a particular community of nomads she came and went from a few times throughout the films, plus a couple of friends she stuck close by with even elsewhere). The film mostly takes place in the vast West, places between like Nevada, Arizona, the Dakotas.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

54 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Didn't get harassed by the police, but a couple of times by property owners who told her she couldn't be there. However, it makes sense in the context of the film, because she mostly was finding places out in the middle of nowhere to stay, often times by other nomads (there was a particular community of nomads she came and went from a few times throughout the films, plus a couple of friends she stuck close by with even elsewhere). The film mostly takes place in the vast West, places between like Nevada, Arizona, the Dakotas.

didn't see the movie. however, am gonna concede nowadays am able to stomach no more than a couple weeks o' camping in places where regular showers is not gonna happen. yearly we do sierra nevadas or channel islands. again, weeks is our threshold. am knowing you eventual get accustomed to your own stink, but the feel 'o being filthy all the time is... gross. hobo baths in gas station bathrooms? no thanks.

our adolescent and teen self would soundly mock and ridicule the finicky fastidiousness o' aged Gromnir. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

didn't see the movie. however, am gonna concede nowadays am able to stomach no more than a couple weeks o' camping in places where regular showers is not gonna happen. yearly we do sierra nevadas or channel islands. again, weeks is our threshold. am knowing you eventual get accustomed to your own stink, but the feel 'o being filthy all the time is... gross. hobo baths in gas station bathrooms? no thanks.

our adolescent and teen self would soundly mock and ridicule the finicky fastidiousness o' aged Gromnir. 

HA! Good Fun!

It was about the time I saw her go to the bathroom in a bucket inside her "home" that I was like "ok maybe not".

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

41 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

It was about the time I saw her go to the bathroom inside of a bucket inside her "home" that I was like "ok maybe not".

our camp toilet is 'bout the size o' a briefcase when folded for transport and we have a goodly supply o' biodegradable one-use bags for solid waste which is then sealed, but yeah, when your bathroom and bedroom become indistinguishable and you don't mind, you has perhaps gone to a place am unwilling to follow.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I eventually got around to watch Deadpool. I know, I bought the DVD quite a while ago, but with about a 100 still unwatched DVD movies in my cupboards, I was a bit proud of myself of actually sitting still and watch an entire movie from start to end. Doesn't happen often these days. I supposed that is also a reason I don't have Netflix. What's the point if I can't endure that much passive entertainment that is watching a single movie?

The beauty of watching old movies I've seen before, I can fast forward and just watch the "good parts", skipping the parts that makes me feel impatient to get on with it. Dusted off two Peter Jackson classics, which I'm going to  have a go at this weekend. "Bad Taste" and "Braindead". Both from a time when Peter Jackson still made good movies 😇

Edit: Oh yeah, Deadpool... it was fun. Silly at times. Too silly at times. Overall, fun though. Didn't regret watching it. I do like silly humour (I'm not a Monty Python fan for nothing)

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Villeneuve sees Zendaya as Star of Dune: Part Two - Dune News Net

When I decided to direct Dune I called the screenwriter Eric Roth, because I am convinced that he has the necessary culture to deal with the spirituality of a story like this by exploring its religious aspects, but above all because I have always appreciated his way of delineating the female characters. I’ve read a lot of Roth’s scripts and when we met his first question was: “Ok, let’s make this film together, but what is the main thing you want from me? What should I focus on? What’s the priority in adapting the book?” My answer was, “The female characters.” I think femininity is at the heart of the film.

In the book, the Bene Gesserit are essential: they rule a power all their own, and they do so by following their own trajectories, practicing manipulation, and using the most sophisticated of weapons: time. The strategies with which they use time have always fascinated me, while the males just run to go into battle. Women are stronger. And this also made me think about the relationship between our culture and time: which of us will be able to last longer? Americans see everything in an economic way and for them it is important to have wars that last three months, convinced that they can compress time. Other cultures, on the other hand, are more focused on using their time. I think these will prevail in the end.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watched “blood red sky” on Netflix last night. I’ll summit up for you, vampires on an airplane. It wasn’t bad though. I found the English voice dubbing  a little annoying. I wish they would just put it in German with subtitles. It was a German movie.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 8/17/2021 at 4:48 PM, Raithe said:

The strategies with which they use time have always fascinated me, while the males just run to go into battle. Women are stronger

Interesting take, hah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Chris Pine Makes 11.5 Million Doing The Dungeons & Dragons Movie - Bell of Lost Souls

We may not know much about the overall story of the upcoming D&D movie, outside of rumors that the Hand and Eye of Vecna will play a role in the driving action of the story, but we do know that Chris Pine is taking home a dragon’s hoard for appearing in the movie based on the popular tabletop roleplaying franchise. According to a listing of Variety’s top-paid actors this year, Chris Pine managed to loot $11.5 million from the D&D movie–that’s the reported total the actor was paid for his role in Dungeons & Dragons.

The sum places Pine 16th on Variety’s list of highest paid actors, beating out next-in-line Robert Pattinson, who took a scant $3 million home for being The Batman, while falling below Keanu Reeves who is taking home $12-$14 million for The Matrix 4 and far below Daniel Craig who will make $100 million for his role in Knives Out’s sequel. All of which to say, that’s a lot of money to put in a Dungeons & Dragons movie.

Especially when you consider that that’s a full quarter of the budget for the original D&D movie. But perhaps if D&D (2000) had had Chris Pine instead of…
…they might have had better luck. Here’s hoping that the star power brought by the current movie’s cast, comprising Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Regé-Jean Page, Chloe Coleman, and Hugh Grant can set up the script, penned by director’s Jonathan Goldstein and Jonathan Francis-Daley for maximum success. By all accounts, the script is good–with star Regé-Jean Page calling it a sigh of relief for D&D fans. Details are still scant from the set of the movie, though leaked photos give you an idea of the overall look and feel, from misty moors and secret deals, to barbarians who roll up to battle (presumably not on scooters).

But this move does seem to cement the idea that the Lore of D&D is going to be a prominent part of the picture. This tracks with the desire to expand the RPG franchise into multiple mass media. The upcoming live-action TV series reportedly features the Underdark, and if rumors are to be believed, Drizzt Do’Urden the legendary drow ranger as well. Who knows what’ll come out of the show, which comes from John Wick creator Derek Kolstad and has Eureka co-creator Andrew Cosby working in there somewhere as well, per a recent SDCC panel.

Will this be the start of the D&D cinematic universe? WotC and Hasbro probably hope so–but it’s a tricky thing to predict what will make a franchise last long enough to make people want to keep coming back to it. A big part of the draw of Dungeons & Dragons is how much creativity it offers to its fans. For people who play, the world becomes their own. Can that same ownership still exist if suddenly we’re worried about things like the D&D Canon? Either way, Chris Pine–who is still somehow not James Marsden, will want to check his loot for magic items.

I'm pretty sure Robocop was a satire on commercialization and corporations replacing governments.  "I'll buy that for a dollar".

I think it was accused of being fascistic, something the screenwriter leaned into for Starship Troopers.

EDIT: Also

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 8/21/2021 at 9:55 PM, Hurlsnot said:

Reminscence - Hugh Jackman is a hard nosed memory detective working in a dystopian Miami, when the wrong sexy redhead walks into his office with a case. It was a fun spin on the trope. 😉

LOL dystopian Miami. As if there was any other kind!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just for that interesting behind the scenes viewpoint..

The shot in the film:

E9tYnxOXMAEC2BC?format=jpg&name=900x900

The shot in real life:

E9teg6cWUAQEMlX?format=jpg&name=small

E9teg6jXIAUiGp1?format=jpg&name=large

E9teg6UWYAEiV4N?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

Boss Level.

An.. interesting and entertaining film. A little cheesy, and very self-aware in the tropes. Since it's included on Amazon Prime for free, I'd say it's worth the 90 minute viewing time in your life.

Basically Groundhog Day as an action flick. A guy keeps waking up on the same day with a band of weird assassins trying to kill him and no idea why or how it's happening. Some amusing dialogue as you have the running monologue of the protagonist talking to the audience through it all with a definite dose of snark.

Frank Grillo as the lead, Mel Gibson as the big bad, Naomi Watts as the ex-wife scientist, and even Michelle Yeoh with a cameo as a chinese sword expert.

FilmSchoolRejects - Tony Todd gave Candyman his soul

Clive Barker may have created the titular villain, but it was actor Tony Todd who infused historical and social significance into the movie maniac’s origin story.

Acting is an art form, and behind every iconic character is an artist expressing themselves. Welcome to The Great Performances, a bi-weekly column exploring the art behind some of cinema’s best roles. In this entry, we look at Tony Todd’s titular role in Candyman.

• Like 1