PLanets the same size? what?

To me the Source engine looks like crap compared to the Crytek one, in the movies and screenshots. 

I don't know which engine looks better. It's hard to compare Far Cry with a game nobody has played yet, as videos and screen shots don't make the game justice.

I really didn't thought Far Cry looked all that good untill i played the actual game to tell you the truth.

It's aslo unfair to compare Far Cry with anything. Even if both engines were even a gorgeous tropical island always beats the dark, brooding setting of Half Life 2.

But even so, the fact Far Cry might look 'better' doesn't make Half Life 2 look like crap, far from it, Half Life 2 looks absolutly stunning form where i'm standing.

Also, there are many other factors to consider in an engine besides it's rendering power.

The character animations in Half Life 2 are defenatly light years above anything i ever seen in a game, which would be much more important then mere graphical eye candy when it comes to using the engine for an RPG.

The Half Life 2 also excels in other things besides graphics, like AI and scrypting. (another immensely important characteristic for an RPG).

Compared to what we've seen of Half Life 2, Far Cry is just another generic FPS (albeit a really good one).

I also heard that that Far Cry engine it's really unflexible and that it's editor is crap when it comes to indoor enviorments.

The Source engine is designed to be very scalable (back to the Riva TNT days) which probably means it wont ever really take advantage of the latest graphical features.

The Half Life 2 engine supports all the latest graphical features down to the very last one, as much was seen in the videos.

The fact that it's scalable only means you can strip the engine of most of it's graphical prowess in order to be able to run the game on older hardware, hence, the word 'scalable'.

Of course the guys that made the graphics for Farcry could just be a lot better.  The Crytek also supports great AI.  I'm not sure about it's facial animation, modding, or scripting capabilities though, probably the only things the HL2 engine would really be able to beat it in. :( Which I agree would be more important to an RPG then pretty graphics.

Everything is more important in a RPG then pretty graphics, and as far as first person shooters, i'd say Half Life 2 is the best suited to make an RPG out of it merely because the power of that engine doesn't focus on graphics alone...

It's aslo unfair to compare Far Cry with anything. Even if both engines were even a gorgeous tropical island always beats the dark, brooding setting of Half Life 2.

Farcry has indoor areas that have a definite dark brooding theme to them. Add realtime shadows and you get a downright creepy experience. The shadows also add a degree of tactility to the game. And they still look better then HL2s bright (dark and brooding) outdoor scenes.

The Half Life 2 engine supports all the latest graphical features down to the very last one, as much was seen in the videos.

No, it doesn't. At least from all the videos I've seen and I believe I've seen all the ones they've released to the public, including the E3 2004 one.

pretty much everything else, I agree with

Well, I'm personally kinda glad that I didn't have to spend half an hour running through 200 areas in order to find the star maps in the first game.

You were glad the game was short ?!? What ?!? o_O

:(

No, genius. I'm glad that they didn't make it longer by forcing you to run around aimlessly for an hour like so many RPGs and MMORPGs do. Dantooine and Kashyyyk were tedious enough in that regard.

• 5 weeks later...

If they add more areas you can go into like cantinas, stores, or perhaps chracter homes (I always wanted to go into Jolees hut) it can seem bigger.

If theres anybody that actually cares don't trip over me opening the thread I notice sometimes people on forums go crazy over that.

What sounds best to me is more sub-areas within a planet. Instead of just having an academy, some tombs, and a spaceport (Korriban), a planet should have more areas with more things happeneing there. Not to mention everything on every planet was absurdly close together. I think this has been mentioned before, but having to take public transportation (on Taris) or renting a speeder to get to places (sorta like the basket in Kashyyk) would make everything feel larger instead of being able to walk across all of tatooine in 5 minutes.

Just read an interview where they said planets will be roughly the same size as KOTOR ones. So that's two areas per planet? Wookie planet apparantly consists of some tree houses and a swamp. Artifacts have been lost for thousands of years... where could it be? Oh yeah, it's at the end of this swamp.

Please, don't do this obsidian.

I thought the same thing when I found out about this ****. Ask me I believe its pretty said. You would think that since they have the game/sound/graphics engine all passed down to them from Bioware, you'll think that they can now use all of their remaining time by making he game more, whats the word....deep and expansive. Possibly more planets or possibly bigger planets.

Take Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas as an example. It uses the same engine as Vice City, so guess what RockStar North did what that remaining extra time? They made the game more deeper/expansive. GTA: SA has 3 cities in it whereas VC was just one city. They say that it will take 8 Vice Cities to make up the area that is covered in GTA: SA.

Sadly we as KOTOR followers can't say the same thing for TSL. TSL just like GTA: SA has the same engine as KOTOR, but guess what? We still get the same amount of planets which really isn't a problem. The problem is that the planet sizes aren't going to be bigger and that is the problem considering that the planets in KOTOR really weren't that big.

I mean for what TSL is offering it is a good game but for what TSL could've offered, I'm somewhat upset and I'm sure many other KOTOR followers is as well, they just don't want to come out and say it, they just rather kiss Obisidian's ass rathr then come out and say what they really feel. Of course this is one of the main reasons why I am highly down-graded here and why many people has something against me. I'm different cause I don't kiss ass and I speak my mind. I could care less what others think.

Thats right, I'm going to complain. As my right, and me being a huge Star Wars/KOTOR fan, I am concerned. Besides a new story and new characters and some new little force powers/classes and some new animations here and there....what is Obsidian doing with all this extra time? I'm really concerned :huh:. Maybe Obsidian is believing that the KOTOR name is going to sell it, but KOTOR doesn't have that same popularity like a Zelda game or a Final Fantasy game, a game where the name could just sell the game alone. As of now I don't see TSL being the same game KOTOR was in terms of sells/popularity. Halo 2 is expected to sell more and win more awards then what Halo did. Vice City sold more and won more awards then what GTA: III did, and GTA: SA is expected to do the same. Half-Life 2 is expected to sell more and win more awards then Half-Life. Windwaker 2 and The Legen of Zelda is expected to sell more then Windwaker and win more awards. Again, I'm said to say that we can't say the same about TSL.

But will I still get TSL? Yes, only cause its Star Wars and it is the follow-up to KOTOR. But is it my #1 most anticipated game? No, my #1 most antcipated Star Wars game? No, Battlefront is. As of now TSL is more like a massive expansion pack rather then a pure sequel. Maybe KOTOR 3 would be different.

Hell, I wouldn't mind if TSL was delayed til fall 2005 as long as they take the time to make the game more deeper/exansive. Instead they are in such a hurry to get the sequel out, they neglected alot of things that could make this game a much much much much better game.

The size of locations was strange in KOTOR1. Starmap on Tatooine (spelling?) was just a few hundred meters from the enclave. The same with other planets. They should have made a cutscene of you traveling far into the dessert on a speeder or something. Otherwise it does not seem realistic. Hopefully the planets in TSL will be bigger.

I suspect the game will be longer however. After all its not the number of planets that count. Look how long was Taris compared to other planets. I think 7 is a good amount of planets. They just need to be bigger and with longer quests, not just the objective being a few steps from where you beggin.

Storywise you need to give a reason to travel to each planet aswell as well.

I'm not willing to trust what we've heard so far. I'm under the impression that a good portion are rumors, and the other portion is the truth. <_<

Unless it comes from the mouth of the devs. . .I won't trust it.

So, let's all hope and pray that KOTOR 2 will be bigger or at least have the illusion of being bigger as we wait for some good, trustworthy information.

Fnord.

Just read an interview where they said planets will be roughly the same size as KOTOR ones. So that's two areas per planet? Wookie planet apparantly consists of some tree houses and a swamp. Artifacts have been lost for thousands of years... where could it be? Oh yeah, it's at the end of this swamp.

I thought the same thing when I found out about this ****. Ask me I believe its pretty said. You would think that since they have the game/sound/graphics engine all passed down to them from Bioware, you'll think that they can now use all of their remaining time by making he game more, whats the word....deep and expansive. Possibly more planets or possibly bigger planets.

Take Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas as an example. It uses the same engine as Vice City, so guess what RockStar North did what that remaining extra time? They made the game more deeper/expansive. GTA: SA has 3 cities in it whereas VC was just one city. They say that it will take 8 Vice Cities to make up the area that is covered in GTA: SA.

Sadly we as KOTOR followers can't say the same thing for TSL. TSL just like GTA: SA has the same engine as KOTOR, but guess what? We still get the same amount of planets which really isn't a problem. The problem is that the planet sizes aren't going to be bigger and that is the problem considering that the planets in KOTOR really weren't that big.

I mean for what TSL is offering it is a good game but for what TSL could've offered, I'm somewhat upset and I'm sure many other KOTOR followers is as well, they just don't want to come out and say it, they just rather kiss Obisidian's ass rathr then come out and say what they really feel. Of course this is one of the main reasons why I am highly down-graded here and why many people has something against me. I'm different cause I don't kiss ass and I speak my mind. I could care less what others think.

Thats right, I'm going to complain. As my right, and me being a huge Star Wars/KOTOR fan, I am concerned. Besides a new story and new characters and some new little force powers/classes and some new animations here and there....what is Obsidian doing with all this extra time? I'm really concerned :huh:. Maybe Obsidian is believing that the KOTOR name is going to sell it, but KOTOR doesn't have that same popularity like a Zelda game or a Final Fantasy game, a game where the name could just sell the game alone. As of now I don't see TSL being the same game KOTOR was in terms of sells/popularity. Halo 2 is expected to sell more and win more awards then what Halo did. Vice City sold more and won more awards then what GTA: III did, and GTA: SA is expected to do the same. Half-Life 2 is expected to sell more and win more awards then Half-Life. Windwaker 2 and The Legen of Zelda is expected to sell more then Windwaker and win more awards. Again, I'm said to say that we can't say the same about TSL.

But will I still get TSL? Yes, only cause its Star Wars and it is the follow-up to KOTOR. But is it my #1 most anticipated game? No, my #1 most antcipated Star Wars game? No, Battlefront is. As of now TSL is more like a massive expansion pack rather then a pure sequel. Maybe KOTOR 3 would be different.

Hell, I wouldn't mind if TSL was delayed til fall 2005 as long as they take the time to make the game more deeper/exansive. Instead they are in such a hurry to get the sequel out, they neglected alot of things that could make this game a much much much much better game.

The engine needed tweaking to accommodate our new features, we created vast amounts of new art and models, and I'd say that the rich, full planets we have made surpass the standard set by Bioware. We are creating an all new KOTOR game... all within the span of a 1-2 years. You won't be disappointed.

SiO2

On a side note:

Mira->Needs fixing.

Is what I see on lucasarts.com a final product? I tried getting drunk

and she still didn't look any better!!! And it was pretty strong stuff.

Can you help me, devs? Her face needs some tweakage.

I'm probably in the wrong topic for this. <_<

Thats right, I'm going to complain. As my right, and me being a huge Star Wars/KOTOR fan, I am concerned. Besides a new story and new characters and some new little force powers/classes and some new animations here and there....what is Obsidian doing with all this extra time? I'm really concerned :unsure:. Maybe Obsidian is believing that the KOTOR name is going to sell it, but KOTOR doesn't have that same popularity like a Zelda game or a Final Fantasy game, a game where the name could just sell the game alone. As of now I don't see TSL being the same game KOTOR was in terms of sells/popularity. Halo 2 is expected to sell more and win more awards then what Halo did. Vice City sold more and won more awards then what GTA: III did, and GTA: SA is expected to do the same. Half-Life 2 is expected to sell more and win more awards then Half-Life. Windwaker 2 and The Legen of Zelda is expected to sell more then Windwaker and win more awards. Again, I'm said to say that we can't say the same about TSL.

The engine needed tweaking to accommodate our new features, we created vast amounts of new art and models, and I'd say that the rich, full planets we have made surpass the standard set by Bioware. We are creating an all new KOTOR game... all within the span of a 1-2 years. You won't be disappointed.

Warren Spector told alot of worrying fans the same thing before the launch of DX:IW, and we all know what happened after that.

Let's just say that i reserve my judgement until trying it out.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well it's not like Invisble War completly sucked... alot of mixed reviews. The first Deus Ex was great I don't know why they changed so much. Anyway... Why will KOTOR: SL not make the same mistake? It doesn't sound like anything is being DUMBED down like in DX... "If it ain't broke don't fix it". KOTOR: SL will retatain the great stuff from KOTOR, there is only additions being made.... Plus these guys know how to make a good RPG they've done it before. So yes wait till you play the game to make judgement... just don't lean towards thinking this will be another sequel debacle.

Thank you, Mr. Morgan. :unsure: (Lovely avatar, by the way.)

One of the reasons Invisible War was hated so badly was because it wasn't the first game. Simple as that. Everyone expects sequels to be the same game as the first. Sorry, but that ain't gonna happen.

Fnord.