PLanets the same size? what?

Morrowind is okay, nothing more. No matter what cool class you come up with, you will always be of class "Errandboy".

"fetch some fungus"

"travel 200 miles by foot to kill this one skeleton"

"find me some flowers, will ya?"

"kill the rats in my attic"

"go fetch"

"go fetch"

"go deliver"

"go fetch"

I always felt the world was to generalized (in lack of a better word). Noname peasants always said the same thing when asked on a subject.

If you saw a cave with a wierd name, there was a 98% probability you'd run into smugglers, a 70% probability they had slaves and 0% probability that ANYONE had some good loot.

"You have offended my family, and you have offended the Shaolin temple." Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon

Morrowind is okay, nothing more. No matter what cool class you come up with, you will always be of class "Errandboy".

"fetch some fungus"

"travel 200 miles by foot to kill this one skeleton"

"find me some flowers, will ya?"

"kill the rats in my attic"

"go fetch"

"go fetch"

"go deliver"

"go fetch"

I always felt the world was to generalized (in lack of a better word). Noname peasants always said the same thing when asked on a subject.

If you saw a cave with a wierd name, there was a 98% probability you'd run into smugglers, a 70% probability they had slaves and 0% probability that ANYONE had some good loot.

:blink:

"fetch boy, fetch!"

"arf!" (wiggle tail)

"good boy!"

yeah, it seemed like i was the only one who was actually getting something done in that world... you have to admit that it was a really big wolrd, though.

it would have been nice to have a mount to travel faster. dialogue system could have been better and quests could have been more interrelated, with less errand jobs to do.

also, bigger quests should have had a better thread to follow on... i spend a lot of time just walking through the world, ending up in some ancient ruins and getting my butt kicked.

even as a high-level character, it was dangerous to just walk around in the wild. it would have been nice to have more buyable maps and more specific information on areas in order to not stray off the safe paths. death came very swift in morrowind

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

Well, it was kinda cool when I joined the Redorans with my lizard (argonian?), and rised to be overlord, with my own village. Too bad that they didn't install a silt strider there though - might have been more of an incentive to actually go there and see how they did.

A mount would have been very good. A less crappy inventory system would too. (Drink potion : find correct potion, click it, click how many potions you want to use (which is always one, no matter how many you choose), then drag it and click your portrait)

I'd agree with you on less but greater quests, carrying the story, with 'fuller', more described NPCs to befriend.

"You have offended my family, and you have offended the Shaolin temple." Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon

wait... i have a vision: this thread is moving to the general rpg discussion

well, since morrowind is highly moddable, it's possible to do all that which we mentioned. there have been quite a good mods for morrowind out there. it was also great fun to work with the construction kit.

strange enough, i didn't bother with the NWN toolkit (though i've been waiting for it for a long time). maybe it's because the game itself was disappointing

I loved Morrowind and disliked NWN aswell. What I feel that Morrowind needed(aside from better interface/inventory) was good quests and a better dialouge system. Although the majority of crappy quests where all you gain is 20 coins when you're already stinking rich was too common I blame the writers who came up with a great background and a living world but simply lost inspiration after that. If the KOTOR series had contained more Morrowind elements then I would be thrilled over this game, as it is now I'll probably buy it but not until the price drops a bit.

Damn, gotta stop ranting....

maybe one way to do that would be to come up with a new system of game development.

gamers that are really interested in a game (such as the regular posters on these boards) would be able to generate quests and contribute these into the game. thus, you would know YOUR quest, but not the others. so, it would stay exciting (besides who wouldn't wanna buy a game where one is credited in?)

this kind of peer cooperation would have to be supervised of course, yet i believe that a lot of detail and depth can be gained by that.

that's one thing i liked about the morrowind mods- there were some that were actually incredibly good. a pity that they weren't a part of the actual game to begin with.

Ack, I hope it isn't like Legend of Zelda: Windwaker at the part where you have to find all the Triforce pieces in the water. :huh: That part kinda killed the fun in the game. The boss fight at the end was awesome though.

The best thing about Gothic 2 is that there are very few quests you are required to do. This "Find the altars!"-quest was a side quest. It took me a very long time to finish it because I got it early and while I was exploring the vast land I picked up an altar here and there whenever I ran across one. I don't think I ever actively searched for them. Well, perhaps a few of them :o

Obsidian, could you PLEASE license the Crytek engine instead of the Aurora/Odyssey engine for your next project..? At least consider it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'd take quality planetsize of quantity planetsize. Some planets in KOTOR felt kinda short yes. But the game was about the good lenght overall. Long enough to keep the flow in the game without it getting tedious.

I'd take the Crytek engine before the Half-Life 2/Unreal 3-engines any day. Why? Because that engine exist, it works and it has an excellent game behind it, proving its worth. Who knows how large maps Half-Life 2 or Unreal 3 will support when they finally arrive?

By the way, I've seen the movies from Half-Life 2 and the Unreal 3 techdemo.. They look awesome.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Unreal 3 engine would be better.

Good luck to get the thing running on a modern comp. A Geforce 6800 Ultra was struggling @20fps with that beast of bandwidth :lol:

And remember, that was in a controlled enviroment.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Good luck to get the thing running on a modern comp. A Geforce 6800 Ultra was struggling @20fps with that beast of bandwidth :lol:

True, but we are talking a few years from now. The Unreal engine is expected around 2006! Any game started now would probably coincide with that. :p

True, but we are talking a few years from now. The Unreal engine is expected around 2006! Any game started now would probably coincide with that. :p

Well, KotOR III on a Xbox 2 (or is Xbox Next?) would have a shot then, considering its specs.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'd take the Crytek engine before the Half-Life 2/Unreal 3-engines any day. Why? Because that engine exist, it works and it has an excellent game behind it, proving its worth. Who knows how large maps Half-Life 2 or Unreal 3 will support when they finally arrive?

By the way, I've seen the movies from Half-Life 2 and the Unreal 3 techdemo.. They look awesome.

I'd say we've seen enought of Half Life 2 to acknowledge it's existance.

Frankly, i'd choose the Half Life 2 engine just because of the AI, the interactivity, the emergent scrypting and character/facial animation plus automated lip synching (a blessing for an RPG). Not to count it's flexibility and modding capability.

I mean, the game already plays like a movie, it's perfect for a first person RPG.

Unreal 3 has a nice rendering power, but Source is completely upgradable and will propably not look all that different by the time Unreal Engine 3 becomes viable with future hardware.

Don't forget that Valve will develop Half Life 3 on the same engine, Source is a working in progress even as we speak...

I'd say we've seen enought of Half Life 2 to acknowledge it's existance.

Frankly, i'd choose the Half Life 2 engine just because of the AI, the interactivity, the emergent scrypting and character/facial animation plus automated lip synching (a blessing for an RPG). Not to count it's flexibility and modding capability.

I mean, the game already plays like a movie, it's perfect for a first person RPG.

Unreal 3 has a nice rendering power, but Source is completely upgradable and will propably not look all that different by the time Unreal Engine 3 becomes viable with future hardware.

Don't forget that Valve will develop Half Life 3 on the same engine, Source is a working in progress even as we speak...

To me the Source engine looks like crap compared to the Crytek one, in the movies and screenshots. The Source engine is designed to be very scalable (back to the Riva TNT days) which probably means it wont ever really take advantage of the latest graphical features. Of course the guys that made the graphics for Farcry could just be a lot better. The Crytek also supports great AI. I'm not sure about it's facial animation, modding, or scripting capabilities though, probably the only things the HL2 engine would really be able to beat it in. :( Which I agree would be more important to an RPG then pretty graphics.