Politics - wait for it... wait for it... 2020 isn't over yet

Gorth

2fm32k.gif

another example? though in all fairness we haven't read anything but news stories as 'posed to the report itself. unfair to reach conclusions at this point. 

https://www.axios.com/senate-intelligence-russia-interference-971619a8-a806-470a-9de6-1416220ab35b.html?stream=politics&utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=alerts_politics

is 966 pages, so will take us some time. curious is fact fox is not doing their spin, at least not headline. usual if you have a report o' this length, it is not difficult to cherry pick, which is why we made our earlier admission. fact fox has not chosen to release a more trump-friendly reading o' the report is odd. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps don't stop at the headline o' the axios story. is a whole lotta findings o' what an ordinary person would conclude is equating collusion, not to mention recognizing, as did mueller, how the President were not honest in his responses to a fed investigation... which should have us remembering more than a few republican senators who were justifiable angry when bill clinton lied about sexual relations with an intern as 'posed to collusion with russians to interfere with a Presidential election.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

In the grimy darkness of the Internet, there are only slap fights

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/18/usps-chief-louis-dejoy-suspends-some-changes-to-post-office-until-after-2020-election.html

USPS' qualified Postmaster General halting his changes to it for a while.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

10 hours ago, Gromnir said:

your narcissism is revealing. is not as if carlin were some kinda fringe comic unappreciated by the public in his own time. heck, in 1972, carlin's seven words you can never say on television were receiving national radio airtime and the resulting court case also garnered widespread attention.

Was someone claiming otherwise? 🙄

8 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Why do people attack me for the dumbest most strawman things like they have some kind of axe to grind?

Gromnir will not pass on the opportunity to write a rant especially if the rant is about something his interlocutor did not write.

51 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

another example? though in all fairness we haven't read anything but news stories as 'posed to the report itself. unfair to reach conclusions at this point. 

https://www.axios.com/senate-intelligence-russia-interference-971619a8-a806-470a-9de6-1416220ab35b.html?stream=politics&utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=alerts_politics

How many times can you try to fool people in believing in something that has been long known to be false?

166215__front.jpg

Mississippi is down to five finalists for the new state flag. I like the first one: https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/18/politics/mississippi-final-five-flags/index.html

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

26 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Mississippi is down to five finalists for the new state flag. I like the first one: https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/18/politics/mississippi-final-five-flags/index.html

all are horrible tbh, i was never fan of texts on flags

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

5 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

all are horrible tbh, i was never fan of texts on flags

You know the Democrats are going to hate it. It not only says God on it, it says we trust Him. That will make them near as mad as the old one I'll bet :lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

11 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

You know the Democrats are going to hate it. It not only says God on it, it says we trust Him. That will make them near as mad as the old one I'll bet :lol:

Well, at least they spelled it correctly.  More than I expected.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Second and third one kind of suck (tiny text on the second one makes it a no-go, third one looks like an NFL logo knockoff), fourth one is pretty decent, fifth one is just a busier, brighter, and not-as-good version of the fourth, and the first one is obviously the best.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

This one didn't make the previous cut, but I liked it best

https://i2.wp.com/www.ifitshipitshere.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Mississippi-Flag-design1.png?resize=500%2C313

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

kinda weird needing to present gd with stuff 'bout southern democrats, but...

What Makes Southern Democrats Unique

we don't have recent numbers, 'cause am no longer practicing and am too lazy to do the research, but as o' 2014, 4% o' people in mississippi did not believe in God and 1% were uncertain. even if all the non-believers in mississippi is voting democrat (unlikely) you still got a whole lotta democrats who is believers, and particular in the deep south, those christians is more likely to be fundamentalists.

yeah, the "in god we trust" language were made conditional as part of mississippi republican party compromise to abandon the confederate battle flag design, but it didn't take any real arm twisting to get agreement on that point.

we sense a kinda criticism in gd's observation, but am gonna need admit that in our estimation mississippi's republican intractability insofar as abandoning the confederate battle flag w/o a token nod to the divine, charon's obol stuffed in the mouth o' the south's corpse, to appease their bigoted constituency who continue to venerate a symbol o' slavery is a bit more worthy o' condemnation, no?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

This one didn't make the previous cut, but I liked it best

https://i2.wp.com/www.ifitshipitshere.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Mississippi-Flag-design1.png?resize=500%2C313

Too small text generally makes my blood boil when I look at it. Years of image editing and seeing the horrific damage people do to text with .jpegs, I guess.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

49 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Too small text generally makes my blood boil when I look at it. Years of image editing and seeing the horrific damage people do to text with .jpegs, I guess.

Pft, it's not too small, your eyes just suck. 😛

19 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Pft, it's not too small, your eyes just suck. 😛

It's easy enough to read on a screen when the screen is only two feet away from me. On an actual flag with any amount of distant between you and it, it's going to be an unreadable blur. The least they could've done is use a bolder version of the font - tiny and thin lettering is not conducive to reading on fabric whipping in the wind.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Looks like Scott from Marketing is trying to beat Putin in who gets their population pumped full of "something" first 👀

Summary

1. Australia says it has secured access to a promising coronavirus vaccine and will offer free doses
  2. The country's PM Scott Morrison says the vaccine should be "as mandatory as you can possibly make it"
  3. The vaccine, being developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University, is in advanced clinical trials

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-53831503

and

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-53826846

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

It's easy enough to read on a screen when the screen is only two feet away from me. On an actual flag with any amount of distant between you and it, it's going to be an unreadable blur. The least they could've done is use a bolder version of the font - tiny and thin lettering is not conducive to reading on fabric whipping in the wind.

the "in god we trust" was a concession to the republican party of mississippi. we argue it were a concession which proves a fundamental flaw o' character, but regardless, were a bone thrown to old guard who felt they needed something/anything to show their constituencies that they didn't just cave to all those namby-pamby progressives in jackson. again, were a token. no need to rub it in by making sure the verbiage is legible from the ground 100 meters away as the flag does furl and snap in an autumnal breeze.  

from a practical pov, your concerns is valid. sure, if you can't read it, then why have it? however, the issue is politics as 'posed to practical. words weren't added to be legible. were added to keep a disappointing large % o' mississippi republican voters from taking out their anger on mississippi legislators. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I wonder how many people Antifa/BLM/'protestors' have murdered, raped, assaulted, and robbed since the mess started and how long before the main stream stop calling the mess 'peaceful'? I also wonder how many of the victims have been blacks or other minorities yet are ignored. EVIL.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

5 hours ago, Gromnir said:

kinda weird needing to present gd with stuff 'bout southern democrats, but...

What Makes Southern Democrats Unique

we don't have recent numbers, 'cause am no longer practicing and am too lazy to do the research, but as o' 2014, 4% o' people in mississippi did not believe in God and 1% were uncertain. even if all the non-believers in mississippi is voting democrat (unlikely) you still got a whole lotta democrats who is believers, and particular in the deep south, those christians is more likely to be fundamentalists.

yeah, the "in god we trust" language were made conditional as part of mississippi republican party compromise to abandon the confederate battle flag design, but it didn't take any real arm twisting to get agreement on that point.

we sense a kinda criticism in gd's observation, but am gonna need admit that in our estimation mississippi's republican intractability insofar as abandoning the confederate battle flag w/o a token nod to the divine, charon's obol stuffed in the mouth o' the south's corpse, to appease their bigoted constituency who continue to venerate a symbol o' slavery is a bit more worthy o' condemnation, no?

HA! Good Fun!

Just a bit of sardonic humor. What is left when there are naught but villians on both sides of every issue? Just because I picked on the Democrats does not mean I'd let the Republicans off the hook. I just dislike them slightly less. 

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Volourn said:

I wonder how many people Antifa/BLM/'protestors' have murdered, raped, assaulted, and robbed since the mess started and how long before the main stream stop calling the mess 'peaceful'? I also wonder how many of the victims have been blacks or other minorities yet are ignored. EVIL.

BLM = Burn Loot and Murder.

It's a shame because it started as a cause with a legit axe to grind. Now? Nope. Now it's this:

Thomas Sowell

Just now, Guard Dog said:

yeah that is the other thing, i mean nothing against people who believe but that weird half separation of state and church always felt weird in US. At least as person for EU/East Europe

6 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

yeah that is the other thing, i mean nothing against people who believe but that weird half separation of state and church always felt weird in US. At least as person for EU/East Europe

Oh there is a good deal of wisdom in the separation of church and state. But, like in many other things we're going to far. We have established no religion,  we got that part right. But they are often running roughshod over the "prohibiting the free exercise thereof" part. Some are construing that to mean being religious excludes one from serving in government.  In fact Senator Feinstein of California, one of the biggest and most repulsive turds floating in the government bowl, specifically used religious affiliation to vote to disqualify a judicial candidate a few years back. Don't get me wrong, she can do so for any reason or no reason. Not suggesting otherwise. However, that she did it tells you a lot about where the folks who think they are better than us are on that topic. I wonder though, if the candidate would have been a devout muslim if she still would have objected on the grounds of religion? I suspect not. 

Another way it has gone too far is in both public schools and universities students have been asked to leave class for having the audacity to read a bible or other religious test on campus. I'm not suggesting that is commonplace or would happen every time but I can surely feed you a hyper-link salad to demonstrate it IS happening. 

Thomas Sowell

10 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Well, In God We Trust certainly goes against the founding fathers, so it seems like a weird thing to use. I mean you either have separation of church and state or you don't. Those words on the flag certainly mean Mississippi doesn't.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Another way it has gone too far is in both public schools and universities students have been asked to leave class for having the audacity to read a bible or other religious test on campus. I'm not suggesting that is commonplace or would happen every time but I can surely feed you a hyper-link salad to demonstrate it IS happening. 

I'd actually be curious to see the links, particularly of universities, where students have been asked to leave for reading a religious text to themselves.

There's a lot of (IMO) stupidity around religion in the US - kicking someone out solely for having a Bible/Quran/Tankah/Tipitaka/The Guru Granth Sahib/etc. on school grounds is just as stupid as trying the umpteenth time to get the 10 commandments displayed at the local courthouse.

RE: In God We Trust - its the official motto of the US, is on the currency and in the national anthem (4th verse).  Supreme Court in 1952 decided that the the government's recognition of God didn't violate the separation of Church and state. My thinking is that the decision was based on the idea that the recognition of the existence of a deity doesn't create a state sponsored or funded religion. Hopefully Gromnir will correct if I got the details wrong. :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

25 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I'd actually be curious to see the links, particularly of universities, where students have been asked to leave for reading a religious text to themselves.

There's a lot of (IMO) stupidity around religion in the US - kicking someone out solely for having a Bible/Quran/Tankah/Tipitaka/The Guru Granth Sahib/etc. on school grounds is just as stupid as trying the umpteenth time to get the 10 commandments displayed at the local courthouse.

RE: In God We Trust - its the official motto of the US, is on the currency and in the national anthem (4th verse).  Supreme Court in 1952 decided that the the government's recognition of God didn't violate the separation of Church and state. My thinking is that the decision was based on the idea that the recognition of the existence of a deity doesn't create a state sponsored or funded religion. Hopefully Gromnir will correct if I got the details wrong. :)

What I have read is that it has been argued by the Supreme Court that the phrase has lost its religious meaning with time. Sounds like rationalization, to me.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

1 hour ago, Pidesco said:

Well, In God We Trust certainly goes against the founding fathers, so it seems like a weird thing to use. I mean you either have separation of church and state or you don't. Those words on the flag certainly mean Mississippi doesn't.

How can anyone in US preach separation of church and state when they have In God we trust right there on their currency and they swear on the bible in court.

166215__front.jpg

"BLM"

On face value, it's a good cause. I mean, no sane person should argue against all lives - including black people's lives - mattering. However, anyone who sees how they act (and this is especially true about Antifa the socalled 'anti facists'), can see that their nonsense ignores that premise. Black lives don't matter to them. Only certain ones. I mean just ask that black guy wearing a red hat if his life matters to BLM. Or that black security guard. Or the young black BLM protestor who got killed while she was LEAVING a protest that was getting violent. More black people have likely have been murdered by BLM/Antifa sicne these protests started than  white police officers have killed in a year (if not longer). But, 'black lives matter'. LMAO

Let's also not forget that these people are gonna to vote for a known racist and for a black woman who keeps innocent black people in jail for giggles. LMAOBLM

Meanwhile, 'established racist' Donald Trump has been releasing innocent black people from prison. Innocent black people who Democrats (and Republicans) put in prison. IMAGINE THAT LOGIKZ!

Donald Trump is  scum. But,  Dems the Party of Slavery (why aren't they canceled) are way worse and they have the history in politics to prove it. Trump is to blame for 'racism in Amerika'. LMAO  Check your Democrat history.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.