Coronavirus : Country readiness

BruceVC

44 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

It takes a hella long time for water to boil when you stand over the pot watching it. Kooky. Boiled up a dozen eggs, for storage, then would up eating two. :lol: They turned out perfectly, with the shell coming right off.

You know that the shell of fresh eggs clings the most and the older the egg the better it peels?

STINKS-By-Boibin-300x200.jpg

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

9 hours ago, Gromnir said:

thanks to our self-awareness, the nightmare scenario o' a Gromnir moderator o' these boards has been avoided. would that a few other individuals had indulged in similar self-reflection before taking on the responsibility.

HA! Good Fun!

Can't be that bad.  They all suck except for LC 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

doesn't make sense to hard boil eggs to preserve shelf life. s'posed have a dozen eggs been sitting in fridge 3 weeks and 6 days *snort* and then hard boil in belief you get an extra week? stoopid... and unlikely. 

that said, freeze eggs will preserve indefinite. can't freeze in shell though if you wanna preserve. crack eggs into freezer safe container then keep for a year... which might be relevant if we were facing food shortages. 

'course even in italy, where pandemic situation is far worse, is no food shortages. following initial wave o' panic buying, italians, who is now under lockdown, have no difficulty finding tp and rice on shelves at stores.  is unlikely we face a US egg shortage in foreseeable future and if we do, is gonna be for some reason not direct attributable to covid-19. 

really wanna preserve eggs, then crack and freeze... but why?

from a recent business insider article:

"It's also possible we are biologically programmed to hoard. Birds, squirrels, and other animals tend to hoard stuff.

"There are a number of ways to handle shortages, including those caused by hoarding.

"The best way is to convince people to stop doing it, especially with plentiful products like toilet paper. However, logic often fails when dealing with emotional issues."

am getting that some folks can't help but channel their inner t!tmouse in times o' crisis, but one would hope we had evolved a bit more. shop to avoid needing to shop more frequent than otherwise necessary, but shop in anticipation o' shortages or 'cause o' primitive hoarding instincts is less than helpful.

and for those who don't trust the liberal media, even the washington examiner, sorta a step removed from breitbart, has recognized the disconnect 'tween trump and his medical experts. 

Fauci and Trump struggle to stay on same page about possible coronavirus treatment

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

The issue isn't the majority of people, it's the minority that's at serious risk. The elderly, people with their immune system compromised by other conditions or treatments, etc. With a disease this virulent, even a mere 1% mortality rate can mean the death of millions across the globe, nevermind the collapse of the healthcare structure and the effects this could have in other people in need of assistance and so on.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 3

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

as to fauci image posted 'bove, we will say, watching the briefing in real time, looked more like fauci were wiping sweat from brow, which were understandable given the exchange trump were having with reporters. President kept asking fauci to bail him out and explain how trump were justified in expressing non-scientific and over-optimistic views regarding a host o' issues including testing and the antimalarial drugs. fauci were not able to do so to trump's satisfaction.

btw, the particular moment captured in time in the image 'bove were trump referencing the state department as the deep state department. 

compare trump pressers to governor cuomo.

don't particular like cuomo, but he is saying right things in a time o' crisis.

as algroth observes, is a misleading headline from cnn on the china recovery stuff.... or at least is misleading if only headline is read. majority recovery ignores how numbers from china suggest 4% mortality and 20% o' folks need some kinda hospitalization. so technical true regarding majority, but vast underrepresenting scope o' dangers. here in the US we are hoping the 4% number is a result o' insufficient widespread testing, but we do not know for certain. am also facing a monumental surge capacity crisis as we do not have anywhere near enough beds and ventilators and healthy doctors if we cannot flatten the curve.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

For sure! We only need to look at the Italians dropping left, right and center. My MiL is 80 (I think) and the whole family is keeping an eye on her, but at a distance. We checked on her today and shes doing fine. 

I wish the best for your family and your MiL. Over my end there's two people fairly close to me who are currently going through chemo and are thus very susceptible to the disease (or any disease for that matter), so I'm pretty sensitive about being downplaying the pandemic as "mild" or "just a flu" (not saying you implied either thing btw), because it leads to a lot of people worried only about themselves to pretend their life is the only risk to consider, and so long as they're not in any danger they're fine to do as they please even when infected.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, algroth said:

I wish the best for your family and your MiL. Over my end there's two people fairly close to me who are currently going through chemo and are thus very susceptible to the disease...

Thank you! And I sincerely wish the same to you and yours. Its scary to consider that they are even more vulnerable, on top of the disease they are fighting. Im sure your support is appreciated.

I hate cancer. Took my grandmother and mother.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, algroth said:

I wish the best for your family and your MiL. Over my end there's two people fairly close to me who are currently going through chemo and are thus very susceptible to the disease (or any disease for that matter), so I'm pretty sensitive about being downplaying the pandemic as "mild" or "just a flu" (not saying you implied either thing btw), because it leads to a lot of people worried only about themselves to pretend their life is the only risk to consider, and so long as they're not in any danger they're fine to do as they please even when infected.

the biggest hurdle for helping folks in Gromnir's family who are at risk is Gromnir's family. we got an 82 year old aunt who recent visited her 79 year old sister in socal.  the 82 year old were so pleased with how empty were the plane on her return trip. 82 year old's travel companion were her daughter, an rn.

?

they didn't wanna cancel plane and lodging reservations made months in advance. didn't change visit itinerary at all given the covid-19 situation.

later we got off the phone with the 79 year old aunt who now lives in socal. she complained o' folks at costco buying all the tp ("particularly the asians"... she even mimicked an asian accent as she described a conversation she had with a woman in the store) and then shared how when she went to the nail salon, her friend didn't wanna sit close enough so our aunt could hear. our aunt pointed out how silly such social distancing is given neither she or friend has been showing symptoms and fact is there is almost 0 orange county covid-19 sufferers at this time. am not certain if that "fact" she shared is true, but we pointed out how with limited testing and so many being asymptomatic, that 0 number were not something she should depend 'pon to make reasonable safety judgements. aunt then observed how hypocritical it were for her friend to complain 'bout social distancing at an asian nail salon, 'cause y'know how filthy those places actually are.

have mentioned previous how we have spinal/nerve issues. we ordinarily take prednisone. decided in february to stop taking and informed our doctor we had stopped. she agreed it were a good idea to halt prednisone, but is not as if she called Gromnir to warn us. doctors are swamped at this time. nevertheless, wondering how many other folks who maybe ain't as aware as us is taking meds which would make 'em more vulnerable and nobody is informing them o' dangers. our mother had cancer and sister had lupus. while we were taking care o' them they took more than a dozen pills a day. am suspecting many older folks fill up their pill box for the week and have only slimmest notion o' what a majority o' those pills do.

we had a few brief conversations with current older family members on both sides o' family 'bout whether or not they had checked to see if they should stop taking any meds or otherwise change treatment. most were dismissive and assumed the doctors would let 'em know what they should do, if anything. hope they are right.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

NYPost - Man uses drone to walk his dog during Coronavirus lockdown

When it comes to precautions against catching the coronavirus, the sky’s the limit — as a Cyprus man shows by using a drone to walk his dog.

Vakis Demetriou stood on his balcony during the government-mandated lockdown and operated his drone, which walked Oliver using a leash from several feet above, according to Storyful.

The footage captured by the ingenious resident’s daughter on Wednesday shows the fluffy white pooch taking the leisurely stroll in stride during the fifth day of quarantine.

“Stay home but don’t forget your dog’s happiness,” the Facebook video is captioned

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

31 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

the biggest hurdle for helping folks in Gromnir's family who are at risk is Gromnir's family. we got an 82 year old aunt who recent visited her 79 year old sister in socal.  the 82 year old were so pleased with how empty were the plane on her return trip. 82 year old's travel companion were her daughter, an rn.

?

they didn't wanna cancel plane and lodging reservations made months in advance. didn't change visit itinerary at all given the covid-19 situation.

later we got off the phone with the 79 year old aunt who now lives in socal. she complained o' folks at costco buying all the tp ("particularly the asians"... she even mimicked an asian accent as she described a conversation she had with a woman in the store) and then shared how when she went to the nail salon, her friend didn't' wanna sit close enough so our aunt could hear. our aunt pointed out how silly such social distancing is given neither she or friend has been showing symptoms and fact is almost 0 orange county covid-19 sufferers at this time. (am not certain if that "fact is true, but we pointed out how with limited testing and so many being asymptomatic, that 0 number were not something she should depend 'pon to make reasonable safety judgements) then observed how hypocritical it were for her friend to complain 'bout social distancing at an asian nail salon, 'cause y'know how filthy those places actually are.

have mentioned previous how we have spinal/nerve issues. we ordinarily take prednisone. decided in february to stop taking and informed our doctor we had stopped. she agreed it were a good idea to halt prednisone, but is not as if she called Gromnir to warn us. doctors are swamped at this time. nevertheless, wondering how many other folks who maybe ain't as aware as us is taking meds which would make 'em more vulnerable and nobody is informing them o' dangers. our mother had cancer and sister had lupus. while we were taking care o' them they took more than a dozen pills a day. am suspecting many older folks fill up their pill box for the week and have only slimmest notion o' what a majority o' those pills do.

we had a few brief conversations with current older family members on both sides o' family 'bout whether or not they had checked to see if they should stop taking any meds or otherwise change treatment. most were dismissive and assumed the doctors would let 'em know what they should do, if anything. hope they are right.

HA! Good Fun!

Sorry to hear about you family and spinal issues, Gromnir. Hope things are as bearable for you as they can be without medication. It is a very good point you make, and I hope it to be something more doctors take consideration of at this time, for their patients' sake. On the family note, similarly my 64-year-old mother is already misbehaving and trying to sneak a friend in for an afternoon visit whilst in full lockdown. She complains the measures are too harsh whilst not realizing her attitude is a case in point of why we need quarantine in the first place. Unfortunately it's the older folks, used to a set way of life, who suffer this upheaval to their daily routine the most, but it's for their safety especially. Anyway, hope the best for you and your family.

U.S. intelligence reports from January and February warned about a likely pandemic

were our understanding washington post were lowering paywall for coronavirus, but this one appears to be blocked. if you can find elsewhere, it is worth a read, though am recognizing it won't change minds o' anybody... yet. if situation worsens, then there will be need to blame somebody. 

"Inside the White House, Trump’s advisers struggled to get him to take the virus seriously, according to multiple officials with knowledge of meetings among those advisers and with the president.

"Azar couldn’t get through to Trump to speak with him about the virus until Jan. 18, according to two senior administration officials. When he reached Trump by phone, the president interjected to ask about vaping and when flavored vaping products would be back on the market, the senior administration officials said."

if true...

am actual kinda hesitant 'bout a story like this. reporters better be absolutely certain o' their source reliability.

HA! Good Fun!

ps article is now at msn

Edited by Gromnir

24 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

What a day to wake up with a cold.

perhaps never before have so many been relieved to realize they have a runny nose.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

What's the TP thing about anyway. On the list of things you absolutely need it's pretty far down. In fact, just look at most Asian country with a year round humid climate. You will find a hose hooked up next to the toilet. because if you can't be dry, you want to be clean more than anything else. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

1 minute ago, Gorgon said:

What's the TP thing about anyway. On the list of things you absolutely need it's pretty far down. In fact, just look at most Asian country with a year round humid climate. You will find a hose hooked up next to the toilet. because if you can't be dry, you want to be clean more than anything else. 

has been best described as herd instinct + fear. during better times, do a little experiment. walk outdoors into a crowded public place and look up. keep looking up and have a friend track how many fellow pedestrians do same as gorgon.

there were stories online 'bout panic buying o' tp during their initial coronavirus scare in asia. seeming viral spread from that point. why tp in hong kong? didn't matter 'cause folks noticed emptying shelves and replicated behavior 'til all tp were gone. fear that you would be the person left w/o tp took over good sense o' average persons. stories 'bout tp hoarding were spread 'cross world via internet and the part 'bout panic buying o' tp being the newest sport for ignoramuses failed to gain traction but images o' folks panic buying tp resonated. all you needed were a couple folks to repeat behavior o' panic buy in europe or australia or us and then herd mentality would kick in as people saw emptying shelves and shopping carts laden with tp.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2