Sign in to follow this  
Amentep

POST YOUR SPECS

On 2/10/2020 at 6:52 AM, Amentep said:

Previous thread:

Damn that's Old School...

Work VFX PC:

AMD Threadripper 2990X 32 Core (hopefully 64 Core 3990X soonish)

Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme X399

128GB Corsair Vengeance

Nvidia RTX 2080

Samsung Evo 970 2TB NVME

EVGA Supernova 1600w

Gaming PC:

Intel i7 8700K

Gigabyte Aorus Z370

32GB Corsair Vengeance

Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti

SoundBlaster AE-9

Samsung Evo 970 500GB NVME

WD Blue 2TB SSD (2x 1TB)

Corsair H 750w

HTPC:

Intel i7 7700K

MSI Z270

32GB Corsair Vengeance

Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti

Zotac 1TB SSD

4TB HDD

Corsair 600w

ROG Swift PG278QR 165hz monitor (In my experience the right monitor should be priority before adding other specs)

2080 Super

Core i5 9600k OC 5.2 GHz

16 GB ram

2 TB Samsung evo 960 SSD

cpu bottlenecks on open world games sometimes but all in all I can normally reach 165 fps with the right tweaks.

That old thread lasted a very long time.  =]
Guess I'll add my current/newer one here as well.

i9-9900k
EVGA 2080ti ftw3
2x16(32), Corsair Vengeance LBX
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master LGA 1151

Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
Two 4TB HDD
Corsair RmX850
Corsair Obsidian Series 750D case  (a lot of Corsair...)

43" (not expensive) 4k led LG TV, 27" 1440 IPS Dell monitor, 27" 1080 IPS LG monitor, so I can play games, do web or graphic stuff AND watch cat videos all at the same time.

Edited by LadyCrimson

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 2/11/2020 at 3:39 PM, Bokishi said:

Work VFX PC:

AMD Threadripper 2990X 32 Core (hopefully 64 Core 3990X soonish)

One caveat. Currently on Windows 10 (including Pro or Enterprise), the 3990X's 128 threads actually exceeds what Windows 10 can handle simultaneously and Windows throttles a bit when trying to access all 128 threads at once. I'm sure Microsoft will address this soon enough, but at this point Linux is the only mainstream-ish operating system that can take full advantage of all 128 threads.

18 hours ago, Keyrock said:

One caveat. Currently on Windows 10 (including Pro or Enterprise), the 3990X's 128 threads actually exceeds what Windows 10 can handle simultaneously and Windows throttles a bit when trying to access all 128 threads at once. I'm sure Microsoft will address this soon enough, but at this point Linux is the only mainstream-ish operating system that can take full advantage of all 128 threads.

High end Ryzen CPU's are a bit overkill in the cores/threads department though, aren't they?  Meanwhile, Intel remains modest in these and offers significantly higher clock speeds, which is perfect for gaming, and perfectly sufficient for all else.

I just don't get Ryzen fanboys.  What the Hell do they do on their rigs that requires such an enormous amount of cores/threads?

3 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

I just don't get Ryzen fanboys.  What the Hell do they do on their rigs that requires such an enormous amount of cores/threads?

The point is that when more cores become mainstream more applications will start utilizing them. It also lowers the price gate to utilizing software and solutions that require a large number of cores for everyday people.

9 minutes ago, Sarex said:

The point is that when more cores become mainstream more applications will start utilizing them. It also lowers the price gate to utilizing software and solutions that require a large number of cores for everyday people.

Sounds about as practical as 1 TB Ram right now but ok, do your thing!

Threadripper is not for gaming. If you are buying a Threadripper for a gaming rig you are wasting thousands of dollars for no reason whatsoever. Threadripper is a workstation CPU with a fairly narrow market target, but it is incredible for highly threaded applications.