Jump to content

unpopular gaming opinions - here's mine, share yours


Recommended Posts

Do we have to stick to gaming?

 

Star trek the motion picture is the best star trek film, I'd go as far as to say it's the only one worth watching. If you like classic sci fi. 

nowt

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, daven said:

Star trek the motion picture is the best star trek film, I'd go as far as to say it's the only one worth watching. If you like classic sci fi. 

I can play that too: Star Trek V is better than TMP.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melusina said:

DAO is overrated and slow

It’s too shallow for its length, and looses steam after the Battle of Ostagar. It should have been a compact 20-30 hours adventure. It’s not like they have a story to tell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 11:02 AM, Skazz said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who actually enjoyed Origins.

You're on a board full of pretentious pricks. Posters have changed over the years, the games came and went, but the debates stayed the same. Way, way back Sarevok was a better villain than Irenicus and Icewind Dale actually told a fantastic story and was a so much better game than Baldur's Gate.

Even though it was mostly combat, dungeoncrawling, combat and some dungeoncrawling sprinkled with more combat on top - something that's also universally agreed on to be terrible in the Infinity Engine (nowadays also known as RtwP is always terrible).

On 3/15/2020 at 11:59 AM, Wormerine said:

It’s too shallow for its length, and looses steam after the Battle of Ostagar. It should have been a compact 20-30 hours adventure. It’s not like they have a story to tell. 

It's true that the game is too long for its own good, especially if you add Awakening's game time, and only has a rather shortish - I'd almost say excuse - plot. But that seems to be a staple for Dragon Age except the universally disliked one. The game lives from its lore and world building. Not that having an excuse plot is a bad thing per se, the original Diablo had a very short and pretty staple fantasy storyline but it was told so effectively and well that it didn't matter.

Both Origins and Inquisition, though the latter more so than the former, suffer from pacing problems. I'm not sure that's because the plot is barebones. There's a Fade skip mod for Origin for a reason. Heh. Mass Effect 2 has essentially the same plot but that didn't bother most players. Although in that one it's mostly character development, not worldbuilding. That happened mostly in the first game.

Edited by majestic
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

It’s too shallow for its length, and looses steam after the Battle of Ostagar. It should have been a compact 20-30 hours adventure. It’s not like they have a story to tell. 

A full playthrough with all side quests takes 24 hours if you know the game.

The problem (other than the nonsensical plot and whiny companions) is that it follows the exact formula all Bioware games do (and those rpgs that copy them): Intro -> Turning point to introduce plot -> Choice of going to 3 different areas in any order we like -> Continue main plot -> The End.

And every time the intro will be interesting as you get to know your character, the turning point for the plot will be all fleshed out, but then comes the point where it all loses steam because now you need to have the illusion of player agency and give a choice of the order in which things are done. But there can no longer be urgency if it no longer matters how you do things.

Tyranny tried to avoid that with an overload of binary choices. But in the end, the restrictions were arbitrary. And the end slides nonsensical; because by the end of the game you hadn't been to area XYZ, your character would never go there after the end of the game?

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, melkathi said:

A full playthrough with all side quests takes 24 hours if you know the game.

😮 How? Unless, we skip/don't do conversation. A single "conversation cleaning" in a camp would take me over an hour.

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Heh. Mass Effect 2 has essentially the same plot but that didn't bother most players. Although in that one it's mostly character development, not worldbuilding. That happened mostly in the first game.

ME takes an advantage of its presentation, while I found it in DA to be detrimental - I would rather imagine character interacting, then see puppets awkwardly stare at each other, with screen fade to black whenever they don't have a proper animation for an action. After Battle of Ostigar there is little to discover - things we do learn aren't terribly interesting. KOTOR had a great revelation which turn story on its head, just as things started to become dull and repetitive. ME2 has revelations about collectors, important story beats about characters, and overall compelling suicide mission. DA is just doing a checklist before we can wrap things up, fighting a vague and impersonal enemy, whose dargerous nature is never explored within game (corruption).

Also characters origin is a big focus of DA (even to the point of being in title) and is ompletely abandoned after Battle of O - if someone brings up who you are, it is to explain why it doesn't matter. This and morally difficult nature of a Warden is never properly explored after the introduction. 

I am yet to play Inquisition, but I did find DA2 to be initially more compelling. It was a bit too clear on how tight deadline it was made, and I found it confused when it comes to storytelling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Skazz said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who actually enjoyed Origins.

Must be. Mine crash still to this day, can't 'enjoy' a game that keep freezing and crashing like 15 times on the same spot. (That damn tower!!) lol 

 

Ok here is one! BG3 is just a cash-grab-scam! 😁

Fallout New Vegas is so boring!

Skyrim is utter crap 

And Final Fantasy serie was made for shallow peoples 😂

Now..to graciously run away! LOL 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

 

Elderly Hive Dweller

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Skazz said:

There he is!

Pelt him!

Image result for monty python stoning gif

But it really was!

 

and its She lol thank you!

 

Hum I did enjoy the beginning. But as soon as the 'Mystery' is revealed..I totally lost interest . So I never finished the game. Add to that it was so short to begin with.

 

But hey, if you like it..good for you lol 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

 

Elderly Hive Dweller

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

ME takes an advantage of its presentation, while I found it in DA to be detrimental - I would rather imagine character interacting, then see puppets awkwardly stare at each other, with screen fade to black whenever they don't have a proper animation for an action. After Battle of Ostigar there is little to discover - things we do learn aren't terribly interesting. KOTOR had a great revelation which turn story on its head, just as things started to become dull and repetitive. ME2 has revelations about collectors, important story beats about characters, and overall compelling suicide mission. DA is just doing a checklist before we can wrap things up, fighting a vague and impersonal enemy, whose dargerous nature is never explored within game (corruption).

Also characters origin is a big focus of DA (even to the point of being in title) and is ompletely abandoned after Battle of O - if someone brings up who you are, it is to explain why it doesn't matter. This and morally difficult nature of a Warden is never properly explored after the introduction. 

I am yet to play Inquisition, but I did find DA2 to be initially more compelling. It was a bit too clear on how tight deadline it was made, and I found it confused when it comes to storytelling.

I don't know, I like(d) THEDAS as a setting and the lore behind it but you're right of course, the presentation of Mass Effect 2 is a good deal better and the origins could have mattered more beyond a few interactions in the respective origin zone, although playing a Dwarven noble and helping Bhelen makes for a few fun conversations.

Inquisitions delves a bit deeper into what happened in the Tevinter Imperium, what the Fade really is and what the Gods of Thedas represent. It's just hidden underneath a layer of checklisty pseudo-open-world exploration of the most meandering sort, and the worst offender is right after the introductory mission. The gameplay is okayish and on a technical side the game suffered heavily from EA forcing Bioware into using Frostbite. The game sure looks good but it is noticable that Bioware spent a lot of development time on making this thing work with large open areas.

As such it feels more like a first game in a series with a newly developed engine where half the resources were spent on developing the tech. Kind of like PoE and Deadfire differed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Origins was the best Dragon Age game by a country mile

 

Invalid due to several reasons:

1) that's popular opinion

2) that's popular and true opinion due to later games apparently being ****.

Edited by Melusina
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I preferred DA2 myself. Bioware was actively trying to get out of the rinse and repeat design they've been doing for years and trying out new things.
Yes, it was a mess hampered by a tight deadline, but so were the Obsidian games we know and love.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Oner said:

I preferred DA2 myself. Bioware was actively trying to get out of the rinse and repeat design they've been doing for years and trying out new things.
Yes, it was a mess hampered by a tight deadline, but so were the Obsidian games we know and love.

I had tried playing DA2. But servers were offline and my purchase was refunded all square and fair.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not go off topic..lol

 

Here is one: RIKER IS USELESS IDIOT! Like SO useless, all he does is droole and being innapropriate and really? Number one? More like Dumbo Zero...

well some peoples like him, but honestly. I always though like he shouldnt be there. He bring nothing to the table, and he always yelling when things dont go his way. 

Kinda remind me of that annoying cant-get-ride-of-him companion guy in Star Trek online (On the Romulan side). Argh....at least let us mute him...

 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

 

Elderly Hive Dweller

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, E.RedMark said:

Here is one: RIKER IS USELESS IDIOT! Like SO useless, all he does is droole and being innapropriate and really? Number one? 

Isn't his role as second in command come down to executing Captains orders and replacing him when need be? That's what he does, sexual harassment allegations aside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wormerine said:

Isn't his role as second in command come down to executing Captains orders and replacing him when need be? That's what he does, sexual harassment allegations aside.

He does. But...it's like too many characters ? everyone became important and could fit the role. Data for one, so in the end...for Picard who rarely leave the chair...he is just hovering over there, doing nothing but nodding his head. (Not saying the show was bad, had its good moments, but Riker? USelesssssss LOL)

 

I liked Deep Space 9 and its my favorite. everything about that one was perfect. every character has its own story, duality, stress, guilt, and fun and carried themself without some weirdness or anything. 

 

 

  • Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

 

Elderly Hive Dweller

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, E.RedMark said:

Here is one: RIKER IS USELESS IDIOT! Like SO useless, all he does is droole and being innapropriate and really? Number one? More like Dumbo Zero...

Counterpoint: he invented the Riker Maneuver. Your argument is invalid.

No, the other Riker Maneuver.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 213374U said:

Counterpoint: he invented the Riker Maneuver. Your argument is invalid.

No, the other Riker Maneuver.

defeated..all I can say is : Evasive Manoeuver!!! LOL 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

 

Elderly Hive Dweller

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, E.RedMark said:

I liked Deep Space 9 and its my favorite. everything about that one was perfect. every character has its own story, duality, stress, guilt, and fun and carried themself without some weirdness or anything. 

I love DS9 too but everything being perfect? When was the last time you've watched season 1? 😛
Or the fact that season 2's finale and season 3's (or was it 3 and 4? been ages since I watched it) opening have the exact same premise?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Oner said:

I love DS9 too but everything being perfect? When was the last time you've watched season 1? 😛
Or the fact that season 2's finale and season 3's (or was it 3 and 4? been ages since I watched it) opening have the exact same premise?

It had Gul DUKAT! PERFFFFFFECT! lol

 

That guy was too much fun. And well it was perfect in the sense, everyone grew on me. They were all interesting. There was drama, there were no related episode to the main stuff..and dunno. It was perfect to me in that sense? No show is perfect. well maybe the Golden Girl, as in perfect humour lol and never get old. 

  • Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

 

Elderly Hive Dweller

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...