unpopular gaming opinions - here's mine, share yours

Melusina

Possums are generally too big for cats to hunt, but Australia has plenty of native lizards and the like that they go after happily. If they weren't too big we'd have a lot less possums here* where they're a pest species, unlike Australia where they're protected. We also have a lot of feral cats. I've only ever seen one of our cats kill a possum, and it was almost certainly its proudest moment on the planet. That's with 2-3 cats, for 30 odd years.

*Indeed as a New Zealander it's almost impossible not to read "hit by cars" instead of "hit by cats" given the number of roadkill possums we get.

Stylised graphics, including pixel art, is significantly easier to read, it looks good longer, and provides lower system requirements. On the other hand, highly detailed, including "realistic", styles age rather quickly and are much harder to process. The mitigation usually includes various forms of "eagle vision" (Assassin's Creed) or "Witcher's senses" (The Witcher 3). I think, one of the Tomb Raider reboot games (haven't finished any of them) had the option to disable the paint on climbable walls. Curious how it mixed when the initial design was based on the not-subtle "hints".
I suppose, if it was possible to completely disable visual junk (grass, foliage, non-interactive items that look similar to interactive ones), it would be preferable. The closest I can think of (again, haven't played) is The Last of Us 2.

Spoiler

• Like 3

On 5/24/2023 at 1:37 AM, majestic said:

Well, Austrialia does suffer from cat and rabbit overpopulations, as far as I know, as they simply lack natural predators to keep their populations in check. They're an ecological menace, really.

Although I think Australia wants them gone purely because they're not deadly to humans. :p

As well as camels (no kidding, feral camels are now considered a pest) and cane toads. Just some of several introduced species that bread out of control....

Edit: Australia's deadliest animal is the horse, but I've never seen a campaign to eradicate horses

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 5/26/2023 at 5:38 AM, Hawke64 said:

Stylised graphics, including pixel art, is significantly easier to read, it looks good longer, and provides lower system requirements. On the other hand, highly detailed, including "realistic", styles age rather quickly and are much harder to process.

Reveal hidden contents

Nintendo is living proof of this. Every year or two they release one of the most strikingly beautiful games when compared to its contemporaries and it runs like a champ and it does all this on wildly underpowered hardware? How do they manage this miracle? Black magic? Divine intervention? No. Stylized graphics and strong aesthetic. Look at Wind Waker, that game STILL looks amazing and it's a freakin' Wii game.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Honestly, the best thing about World of Warcraft was that at the time they used very simple graphics to make the game look pretty, compared to a lot of other MMOs that went for amazing but ran crap on a lot of people's hardware.

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

14 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Look at Wind Waker, that game STILL looks amazing and it's a freakin' Wii game.

Wind Waker was on Gamecube, which I suppose makes the point stand more.

Anyways since you brought up Zelda, BotW and TotK are both really good but their dungeons and bosses are absolutely weaker compared to the rest of the series. I should remember exploring a mecha-camel that shoots lightning but it's just not as memorable as the yeti mansion or the shadow temple.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

We've already seen nostalgia for 8-bit era & 16-bit era sprite graphics with plenty of "retro" games utilizing those graphical styles. While this was, and continues to be, overdone to a comical degree, I'm on board with the sentiment, especially 16-bit era sprites, I think that graphical style still looks great. 

Now, I'm starting to see 32-bit era 3D polygon graphics nostalgia, and I just don't get it. I played my fair share of PS1 and Saturn games and enjoyed quite a few of them, but, with a few exceptions, I think those early 3D polygon graphics games are ugly as sin. Those aliased as ****  blocky polygons, the absolutely disgusting low res textures that would kind of... swim... I don't know how to describe it well, but the textures would kind of wobble and everything was so murky, ugh, just horrible looking. Sadder still, the 32-bit era had some gorgeous looking 2D sprite-based games, Castlevania: SotN being the most notable, but we got so few of them because the horrifically ugly 3D polygons were the new hotness.

My point is that it blows my mind seeing developers today purposely making games mimicking that 32-bit 3D polygon style. It looks so bad, there aren't enough pairs of nostalgia goggles in the world to convince me otherwise.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I remember when voxels were prophezised to become the future of 3D gaming (this was before graphics cards had much in the way of built in support for 3D graphics). Both on the Commodore Amiga and the PC.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hyper realistic graphics are pest, which needs to die!

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

• 3 weeks later...

Saint's Row isn't a bad game.

It just isn't Saint's Row.

The boss is still a fun, homicidal maniac.

The rest of the gang still is dull.

Shaundy was no more special than Kev in the remake.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

2 hours ago, melkathi said:

Shaundy was no more special than Kev in the remake.

Kinzie Kensington was the best 3rd Street Saint. Yes, better than Johnny Gat. 

• Gasp! 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Saint's Row 2 Drug Addict Hippie Shaundi > Saint's Row 3 and onward Shaundi. She wasn't particularly great a character in SR2, but at least she had something going for her, even if that something was a crippling drug addiction. From SR3 onward she was just generic hot girl. ****ing Pierce was a more interesting character than Shaundi.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Saints Row 2 had an interesting start with the jail break / trial. It really set up the Boss as a character.

SR3's start was just over the top action without helping make you care for the characters. I went through the start because yay character creation with tons of options. Not because I cared.

New SR I got a chuckle out of the future boss being just a ****y idiot basically.