OT from "Q's to Devs"

since i won't be going to E3

BUT can i have your autographic Devs :p

(sorry i had to do that) :p:p:p:p:p

are you gonna be puting any new weapons for the kotor II game i would like to be able to PWNED the fiends( bad guys) in a totally new way :p

You guys seem to be evading the question asked so many times.  At least the answers I've seen are far too vague and lack and substance. 

Are we going to be able to mod this game (like other LucasArts Star Wars titles) with a developer created tool, or are we going to have to resort to hacking into the thing like with KoTOR 1?

Thay have answered this though. I recall a dev saying KotOR2 won't be any more moddable out of the box than KotOR1 was.

I read that too, but it fails to answer the question of "why?" Especially when so many pc games are created to be mod-friendly so as to extend their life expectancy. Games, make that good games, that can be modded tend to last for years and maintain a strong presence in the gaming world. Just in the fantasy RPG (ish) genre there is the BG series, now the NWN series, and more.

I think that LucasArts, if they are the ones making the decision to not make dev tool available, is beginning to think of pc titles as they would console titles. Developers make a console game, market it to death, and then move on to the next project, never looking back unless it is to use a predecessor for marketing purposes.

Avid pc gamers want longevity from the game. I, and many avid pc gamers I know, prefer a game that will last longer than the next few months. PC gaming and console gaming are two different animals with two totally different markets. The reason why console games sold over $5 billion while pc games sold under $2 billion last year is because console gamers tend to be younger and always looking for the latest. The console game community is full of people who will tell you "I played that last month, I'm moving on..." This is the reason sports games are so popular on console, they update every year. People playing Madden 2004 right now are wetting themselves in anticipation of Madden 2005. PC gamers lean towards rts and rpg, partly because they play better on a pc, but mostly because those games offer the long term challenge and enjoyment pc gamers want.

This is why I asked, again, this question. "...no more or less..." is a garbage answer. I (and many others) would like to know the why's behind the answer, since this question has been on the top of many people's lists since KoTOR 1 came out on pc.

Avid pc gamers want longevity from the game.  I, and many avid pc gamers I know, prefer a game that will last longer than the next few months.  PC gaming and console gaming are two different animals with two totally different markets.  The reason why console games sold over $5 billion while pc games sold under $2 billion last year is because console gamers tend to be younger and always looking for the latest.  The console game community is full of people who will tell you "I played that last month, I'm moving on..." This is the reason sports games are so popular on console, they update every year.  People playing Madden 2004 right now are wetting themselves in anticipation of Madden 2005.  PC gamers lean towards rts and rpg, partly because they play better on a pc, but mostly because those games offer the long term challenge and enjoyment pc gamers want.

The problem is that this is an argument against making a PC game moddable.

What good does a game's longevity do LucasArts? Are you willing to pay more than $45-$55 for a game?

Would KotOR have moved any more units if the developer tools had been in the box?

And you wonder why Lucasarts is reluctent to give us mod tools.

Well it did happen even without them giving mod tools. :) someone went as far as to make a partial nude Mission :):)

anyway... back on topic.

Are we gonna see wider variety of aliens This time? Instead of twi'leks and duros everywhere.

Will the lightsaber hilts be customizable? also will there be more upgrade options for them.

Mira is her name.

Huh? :unsure:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

every game for al platforms should be on dvd. Dvd players are really cheap and arn't hard to find any more so it doesn't maker sense. Why do publishers encode games on inferior technology?

Yea, since good dvd players go for about $30 dollars nowadays, can we expect a possible DVD release of the game?

every game for al platforms should be on dvd. Dvd players are really cheap and arn't hard to find any more so it doesn't maker sense. Why do publishers encode games on inferior technology?

Because PC DVD drives are useless frills.

The question isn't whether I can find a DVD drive. The question is why I would want to install one. Do I really want to spend $30 and crack my case to save a couple of CD swaps when I install a game? No. And there's no other rationale for having a DVD drive.

Unless you like to watch movies on your PC. I prefer using my TV for that.

can we keep crappy posts and comments at a minimum? that way the devs might actually read and answer some of the questions. such as:

are prestige classes an optional thing or does a character have to pick a prestige class after a certain point?

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

Yea, but that seems to be the way the market is headed. There was a time when a CD-rom was a useless thrill. They will get those $30 dollars out of you yet :huh:. Because eventually, if it isn't already, it will be cheaper to burn one DVD than 4+ cds.

Someday, but not today. Actually, I hear DVD-ROM market penetration is at something over 80%, so that day may be quite soon.

The thing is that DVDs aren't that much bigger than CD-ROMs -- it's not at all like going from floppies to CD-ROM. So there's no real incentive to switch the market over. It'll probably wait until something as big as Half-Life 2 goes DVD-only. Then the whole market will convert in a few months.

DVDs are not the best media for multimedia, applications and games, cuz it's expensive and don't offer any BIG advantage over CDs. However, it's multilayer/multiface concept is being developed further, it's already possible to make 50+ GB discs, but it's too expensive to implement now and i think they are going to develop it as far as they can before some new media type is out.

"Be mindful of the currents of the living Force; to do one's duty is not always to do right. Concern yourself with the right action. Let duty take care of itself."

-Qui-Gon's voice to Anakin Skywalker

"

its faster to encode one dvd instead of 4 cds (mostly because you do not have to track four disc and package 4 disc plus you have to break up the job into four parts 25% efficiency instead of one disc 100% efficient) pretty much time=money and the simmpler a process is the cheaper it is.