Posted (edited)

For a first run, would the Community Mod and Wizard Revision mods decrease the game's difficulty? I like the idea of both, but don't want to trivialize my first experience.

The Specialized Wizard abilities seem quite powerful, I'm curious how encounter balance shifts with this mod (esp. after the subclass bonus was increased to +2 PL).

Edited by Khashir

2 hours ago, Khashir said:

For a first run, would the Community Mod and Wizard Revision mods decrease the game's difficulty? I like the idea of both, but don't want to trivialize my first experience.

The Specialized Wizard abilities seem quite powerful, I'm curious how encounter balance shifts with this mod (esp. after the subclass bonus was increased to +2 PL).

The Community Mod is very modest in terms of game mechanics changes.  Intentionally so, I think, in order to avoid the perception of watering down the game in the eyes of players such as yourself.  It's a solid piece of work.

I have never played with the Wizard Revision mod, but given that every other Wizard subclass has the implicit penalty of "Is Not A Blood Mage", the mod would have to buff the hell out of the other subclasses just to reach par with that. 

On 8/31/2019 at 1:38 AM, Rooksx said:

I like it. Every point of PEN and AR becomes meaningful. Copying and pasting my thoughts from another thread:

does it impact damage spellcasters?

if not it seems interesting indeed

2 hours ago, Ancelor said:

does it impact damage spellcasters?

if not it seems interesting indeed

It universally changes the PEN/AR mechanic, so yes it does impact damage spellcasters. If you're asking whether the mod nerfs such casters, then I'd say not in my experience. Spells like Storm of Holy Fire, Seven Nights and Minoletta's Burst were still quite devastating.

Edited by Rooksx

22 hours ago, Khashir said:

The Community Patch isn't intended to make classes more powerful. It does buff a lot of abilities, but those are ones that were underwhelming to the point where they were questionable/bad picks. They're improved to the point of usefulness, but not overpowered. The Patch also nerfs a few cheesy things.

I haven't used that Wizard Revision mod, but it sounds a bit OP. -25% recovery for non-subclass spells doesn't seem like a stiff enough penalty for retaining access to all spells. Those PL9 passives seem pretty damn powerful as well. 

On 8/31/2019 at 1:16 PM, Wotcha said:

The Community Mod is very modest in terms of game mechanics changes.  Intentionally so, I think, in order to avoid the perception of watering down the game in the eyes of players such as yourself.  It's a solid piece of work.

I have never played with the Wizard Revision mod, but given that every other Wizard subclass has the implicit penalty of "Is Not A Blood Mage", the mod would have to buff the hell out of the other subclasses just to reach par with that. 

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Wotcha--I really appreciate the notes about Comm Mod intention. Yes, Blood Mages seem a bit OP, I would like to feel at ease picking another sub-class regardless of the game's difficulty.

7 hours ago, Rooksx said:

The Community Patch isn't intended to make classes more powerful. It does buff a lot of abilities, but those are ones that were underwhelming to the point where they were questionable/bad picks. They're improved to the point of usefulness, but not overpowered. The Patch also nerfs a few cheesy things.

I haven't used that Wizard Revision mod, but it sounds a bit OP. -25% recovery for non-subclass spells doesn't seem like a stiff enough penalty for retaining access to all spells. Those PL9 passives seem pretty damn powerful as well. 

Thanks for the note, Rooksx. Following Wotcha's point above, I feel that if I want to play a Wizard, as I  increase the game's difficulty, there's an increased need to spec as a Blood Mage (or being at a notable disadvantage). So, I'm looking for ways to remove that pressure, so I can enjoy playing my chosen sub-class without feeling that fights are unpleasantly more challenging because other sub-classes are subpar.

Edited by Khashir

14 hours ago, Rooksx said:

It universally changes the PEN/AR mechanic, so yes it does impact damage spellcasters. If you're asking whether the mod nerfs such casters, then I'd say not in my experience. Spells like Storm of Holy Fire, Seven Nights and Minoletta's Burst were still quite devastating.

yeah that's what I wanted to know... (I phrased it poorly)

19 hours ago, Ophiuchus said:

Deadfire Tweaks mod's Wizard modules add a +1 spell cast per spell level for non-Blood Mage subclasses. I haven't played with it much so can't vet whether or not it's OP.

Hey Ophiuchus, thanks for this. Seems a bit more measured of a change.

• Like 1

Besides what was already mentioned, I like using:

- facial hair for everyone (aumaua, wood elves, godlike, etc)

- special subclasses unlocked for the player

- level cap remover