Weirder, More random, More Interesting.

Amentep

That's a weird thing to worry about. If you have you voice assistant horizontally mounted at a window with no curtains and somebody got within "several meters" and set up this whole laser rig to seize control of you device....c'mon. You should be more worried someone has simply jacked your WiFi. :lol:

But its an interesting proof of concept. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

That's a weird thing to worry about. If you have you voice assistant horizontally mounted at a window with no curtains and somebody got within "several meters" and set up this whole laser rig to seize control of you device....c'mon. You should be more worried someone has simply jacked your WiFi. :lol:

But its an interesting proof of concept. 

Well actually they have done proof of it at 110m away, from a building overlooking an office with one in... So a bit more that that "within several meters"...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

13 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

There does seem to be this strange disconnect between the world we live in today and the baby boomer generation. My mother-in-law, who we support financially and allow to live with us, has this weird pride about terribly wasteful stuff. For example, on Sundays she wants to go to church with her friends and then go out for coffee afterwards. They all drive separate cars to the church, then drive separate cars to coffee. The crazy thing is she really doesn't have a car. She lost hers due to financial mistakes years ago, and she doesn't have the money to get another. We have a family car that we let her use regularly because she helps transport the kids. But every Sunday we are like "Hey, we are using the family car to do family stuff." We also have a very old truck with 300k miles on it, so she always asks to use that, but the thing is on the last leg. Every weekend I'm like, "Can you carpool?" and she acts like it is a huge problem. I don't get it. My friends and I carpool everywhere we can if we are going to the same place. What the heck?

To make it even more ridiculous, both the church and the coffee shop are within a mile of our house. Flat with nice sidewalks. But baby boomers are not the healthiest generation, so that's too much to expect. :blink:

Made me think of this

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Tangentially related to an earlier post:  8 in 10 Millennials feel they are "not good enough"

Do you know what is annoying about them? They are going through the exact same things as everyone who ever lived before them and in their minds it's the first time it's ever happened to anyone! 

Now get off my lawn!  :lol::lol:

am knowing you are kinda joking, but to be serious for a sec...

am not believing millenials believe all their problems is unique and new. collective they reflexive run to google and look to see what syndrome or disorder from which they suffer, so am suspecting they know what they feel ain't unique. nope, difference is gd and Gromnir grew-up knowing most major life issues had to be handled personal and by pulling self up by bootstraps... or whatever. 

am not thinking millenials is complete wrong to wanna search for solutions to problems gd and Gromnir knows is just a fact of life. only way folks is gonna find solutions is if they is looking for solutions. is a long time past that Gromnir's generation threw in the proverbial towel, so you can forget getting a better resolution from us on life problems. alcohol. drugs. marriage-then divorce-marriage cycle. is a host o' misery inducing support aids previous generations keep using to little benefit. 

in the spirit o' fully self-aware, hasty and overbroad generalization, our problem with millennials is they look to google for answers. they look to what their social media friends says they should do. they expect somebody else to have a pill or process for fixing all their problems.

believing there is a fix for each o' life's ills is not a bad thing. expecting somebody else to provide the fix is bad.

maybe the next generation gets it right?

*descends from soapbox*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 hours ago, Raithe said:

Well actually they have done proof of it at 110m away, from a building overlooking an office with one in... So a bit more that that "within several meters"...

This will probably freak you guys out, but welcome to 1947...behold the laser microphone.

• Thanks 1

In my experience I find that the younger generations are more open with their feelings and struggles so I wonder how much of it is just people no longer thinking it's a weakness or shameful to express their doubts, fears, and whatnot. I see some parallels with Generation Jonesers but with the above mentioned more openness to expressing feelings but I wouldn't be surprised if other generations didn't hold some similar feelings around the same age even with better general circumstances.

Regarding the laser hacking of home assistants, I'm with Gfted1 on this one.  Close the blinds or curtains or shades or whatever you have or just don't horizontally mount your device near a window. I agree that it is a cool concept but not that it's something that you should actively be cautious of. 

Free games updated 3/4/21

14 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I love my car, but I am really starting to re-think the car culture we have in this world. I mean, it's really only been about a century that we've created this massive car infrastructure. How long would it take to change that?

https://fortune.com/2016/03/13/cars-parked-95-percent-of-time/

I say we go back to horses. You might love your car but it will never love you. A horse however will be your buddy if you treat them well. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

I say we go back to horses. You might love your car but it will never love you. A horse however will be your buddy if you treat them well. 

And now we wait for the various "glue" jokes to turn up....

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I'll stick to my bicycle. Same speed and less poop. Plus I look better in spandex than western wear.

3 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I'll stick to my bicycle. Same speed and less poop. Plus I look better in spandex than western wear.

What, no chaps? Can we not handle the chaps?

• Haha 1

:lol::lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

8 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Danes are crazy

Yes. Yes, they are.

Also, I got vertigo from just watching that video. ;(

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken