RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

That happened in any company I ever worked. Maybe Avellone was in the same big company for too long and thus just doesn't know that it's everywhere the same.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yeah, that's a problem with every company that has more than a handful of employees. Communication is difficult, what a revelation!

Well, sometimes it can be a problem. My last firm was run like a terrorist cell - no one knows what another team is working on, you find out where you have to go fly to about 2 days before you need to, people do things that you should know about but some guy decided you don't have the need to know. 

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, that's a problem with every company that has more than a handful of employees. Communication is difficult, what a revelation!

That happened in any company I ever worked. Maybe Avellone was in the same big company for too long and thus just doesn't know that it's everywhere the same.

Well, sometimes it can be a problem. My last firm was run like a terrorist cell - no one knows what another team is working on, you find out where you have to go fly to about 2 days before you need to, people do things that you should know about but some guy decided you don't have the need to know. 

B I N G O

I

N

G

O

B I N G O

I

N

G

O

That's not Bingo, that's Scrabble.

....*scurries away again*

• Like 7
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Some details on PS5.

Including PS4 backward compatibility :o

Also in my eyes the unlikely SSD rumour, is in the end most likely true.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/04/16/playstation-5s-first-details-from-sony-with-ps4-backwards-compatibility-ray-tracing-and-ssd/

PS: has anyone the link/copy paste of the last PS5 rumour? Just to compare it again?

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Nope. But no talk of PS3 backwards compatibility probably means no BC for the PS3. I should buy a spare one I guess.

Also, support for 8K sounds pretty ambitious, if they can deliver 4K/60fps I am sold though. I am also thinking of buying some of the PS4 remasters so I can play them on the PS5 someday.

Also+ If my OG PS4 makes it to 2020 I can safely and proudly admit that I have skipped the Pro. :p

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

8K? The vast majority of people haven't even gotten 4K yet. This is one of those little check boxes you can put on your box that sounds great and is marketable, but only Bokishi and like 0.5% of customers will ever use. :p

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

B I N G O

I

N

G

O

That's not Bingo, that's Scrabble.

....*scurries away again*

I don't even get what he was trying to say with that. Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I heard he was working on my neighbour's roof.

Some details on PS5.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/04/16/playstation-5s-first-details-from-sony-with-ps4-backwards-compatibility-ray-tracing-and-ssd/

PS: has anyone the link/copy paste of the last PS5 rumour? Just to compare it again?

Rumors?

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

It's from the mouth of the PS5's lead architect, Mark Cerny.

Some details on PS5.

Rumors?

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

It's from the mouth of the PS5's lead architect, Mark Cerny.

There was few runours posted on these forums few months ago, which I can't locate anymore. I just wanted to compare them to current reveal by Sony, how much they were off.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

There was few runours posted on these forums few months ago, which I can't locate anymore. I just wanted to compare them to current reveal by Sony, how much they were off.

There's a thread in Skeeter's Junkyard with a PS5 rumour video from a couple of months back, though iirc it was aimed more at its implications towards PC.

I would not expect PS3 back compatibility. PS5 is basically an updated PS4 with similar AMD hardware, PS3 was of course Cell and completely different apart from being similarly multi core.

The SSD thing is a bit weird. There almost no practical performance increase (big theoretical one, but practically very little) on PC from going from SATA SSD to NVMe/ PCIe SSD in gaming though there's a massive one going from platter HD to Solid State of any type- and sizable SSDs are still expensive. So I can't see how a better than NVMe SSD makes sense for PS5- unless it's really small and integrated directly into the system and used as a cache for the entire game.

8K? The vast majority of people haven't even gotten 4K yet. This is one of those little check boxes you can put on your box that sounds great and is marketable, but only Bokishi and like 0.5% of customers will ever use. :p

Yeah, I saw that part and lol'd, I'm afraid.

I'm sure the new consoles will be a large leap up but they still have to cram it all into a small box and price-point. I guess like a decent gaming laptop?

edit: which sort of begs the question, what would console users think if the prices leaped by a couple hundred? A few hundred? Like $400 could be for a "lesser" base entry version but then there'd be the $600ish version with "everything." I guess that would still be cheaper than high end gaming laptops but eventually I wonder if the "has everything" consoles are going to become expensive enough it would become an issue for many. Because greed.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There's a thread in Skeeter's Junkyard with a PS5 rumour video from a couple of months back, though iirc it was aimed more at its implications towards PC.

I would not expect PS3 back compatibility. PS5 is basically an updated PS4 with similar AMD hardware, PS3 was of course Cell and completely different apart from being similarly multi core.

The SSD thing is a bit weird. There almost no practical performance increase (big theoretical one, but practically very little) on PC from going from SATA SSD to NVMe/ PCIe SSD in gaming though there's a massive one going from platter HD to Solid State of any type- and sizable SSDs are still expensive. So I can't see how a better than NVMe SSD makes sense for PS5- unless it's really small and integrated directly into the system and used as a cache for the entire game.

Jaguar -> Zen 2 is quite the leap. While yeah still x86 PS5 seems more like a proper desktop based console rather than some SOC abomination.

Using SSD as essentially main memory... I can see it. The way things are going, paging is going to practically be as fast as most main memory only a few years back. Not sure such a technology would see it's debut on a console though... But then again, with the clock-rates we are expecting we could probably get by with the transfers rates of faulting in from the non-volatile store. The cpu and gpu could basically just share a massive unified cache, while the main storage become main memory.

Yeah, even just clock for clock Zen2 will be around 60% faster than Jaguar and it ought to clock higher watt for watt as well on 7nm.

Something like a 64GB SSD integrated into the board with a traditional platter HD for bulk storage makes most sense to me. If it's fast enough they could also save on RAM requirements, maybe not for graphics but for CPU related tasks. IIRC GDDR6 isn't that great for most CPU functions as its latency is too high and the extra bandwidth isn't needed. AMD does have the ability to add HBM stacks (and presumably for PS/ XBOX, GDDR6) into its APUs so maybe they can add more traditional solid state storage in similarly to get the extra speed claimed.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

Ahh, yeah that would also help with costs. I was imagining something probably a gen further out where SSD tech converges with volatile ram.

Finding out more about the memory layout is what I most want to know. I think we know what to expect more or less with cpu/gpu performance, and the ballpark of flops that could be achieved.

Assassin's Creed Unity is free to claim on Uplay for a week. That's the one set in Paris, so it features Notre Dame.

Ahh, yeah that would also help with costs. I was imagining something probably a gen further out where SSD tech converges with volatile ram.

Finding out more about the memory layout is what I most want to know. I think we know what to expect more or less with cpu/gpu performance, and the ballpark of flops that could be achieved.

I'm wondering if they might be able to sneak the new low cost HBM in- AMD would probably prefer that to GDDR6 since they're the patent holder and it would presumably be what they'd use in any APU type solutions they'd produce for themselves to sell. I suspect PS5 may be a bit too far into development to implement it, but it seems pretty compelling as a cost/ performance balance option if what Samsung has said is accurate.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

HBM has been in the works for a while, and the PS5 while coming into the final stretch it's still a ways off; Plus the PS3 did debut the Cell architecture, I suppose HBM getting a rollout would not be out of the question.

The interesting thing with Mark Cerny, is I feel he really has a sense of where to direct the architecture to yield effective results. He has a pretty broad gauge on the state of technology, and a deep fluency with the problem domain. Cell was a mistake because it impeded development. HMB would have to be a drop in replacement and not impede any goals of backwards compatibility nor ease of developement. I don't know enough about it whether complications could arise, but they would at least need solved before Cerny would move forward on it's inclusion. HMB will have to prove itself or adhere to a proven paradigm, that's where cell failed.

The problem with HBM is I'm not sure it low speed high band-width is really tuned for the sort of performance that Sony's first parties have built themselves around. I'm sure they do some sort of performance testing with their software stack when trying to make tradeoffs before settling on a final hardware spec.