Political Point and Counterpoint

Amentep

I know about few reasons why to get out of Sweden...

Are you even a Swede or in Sweden?  Or are you another American who yell "America Numba One!" and put down other countries he has no idea about?

Edited by ktchong

Are you even a Swede or in Sweden?  Or are you another American who yell "America Numba One!" and put down other countries he has no idea about?

name three regular wot posters who fit the description. if chill is "another, " there must be more, yes?

am seeing this often, but is reflexive stereotype as far as am able to tell.  pretty much every American poster on these boards is quite vocal 'bout criticizing "America Numba One." sure, USA folks on these boards is often patriotic, as is many Americans, but am tending to see a whole lotta negativity directed at America by Americans.

converse, if Gromnir ever points out free speech differences 'tween US and euro nations or new Zealand or wherever, we inevitable get the predictable (and typical ignorant) defense o' Austria, Sweden, New Zealand, etc. folks get mighty angry and aggressive if we suggest free speech is getting more protection in the US than _______, and they will fight us tooth and nail arguing something which they got "no idea about." all the sublimated nationalism frightens poor Gromnir. 

regardless, we don't get it. just an observation, so name three.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Lol, why don't you run off again to another thread to cry like last time Grommy.

aw.  someone is a fragile widdle flower.

Daffodil-Dutch-Master-PKDAFDMA-2018.jpg

will be more careful in the future.

back to on-topic...

barr will testify for Congress in early may and am suspecting the numerous inevitable unanswered questions from barr testimony will result in a demand for mueller testimony.

gonna be a long hot summer.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm pretty sure he is from one of the Balkan countries unless my stalker.txt is out of date

I believe he is Czech. Forget whether Czech Republic or Czechslovakia though.

barr will testify for Congress in early may and am suspecting the numerous inevitable unanswered questions from barr testimony will result in a demand for mueller testimony.

HA! Good Fun!

I thought he was testifying in mid-April? Like, second or third week of April. Unless that's different from the already planned DOJ budget hearing thing.

I'm pretty sure he is from one of the Balkan countries unless my stalker.txt is out of date

I believe he is Czech. Forget whether Czech Republic or Czechslovakia though.

HA! Good Fun!

I thought he was testifying in mid-April? Like, second or third week of April. Unless that's different from the already planned DOJ budget hearing thing.

congress wants unredacted report next week.  barr offered redacted by mid april and, "Barr also volunteered to testify before Congress “shortly after” the report goes public. He said can testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee on May 1 and the House Judiciary Committee on May 2."

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

that explains a lot

Not really, I think there is real concern with political and social problems  in the EU and even if we dont agree with some of the views as they may appear to be extreme these concerns cant be ignored...like border control and unregulated immigration. By ignoring them all we do is encourage populism and misconceived notions about 

" leaving the EU due to sovereignty objectives "  

Several years  ago I made a point, albeit badly , that " there is no leaving the EU ". I didnt mean it literally, I meant the huge economic and political cost is simply not worth it...its pure economics and that should always be the first consideration with these types of national decisions. I did think the UK would be able to leave with some pain but the problems with BREXIT and the calamitous way the UK parliament has handled BREXIT unfortunately  and unequivocally has revealed jut how complicated these decisions can become ( and I dont blame Teresa May, she didnt even vote for BREXIT )

Where do I place a bet on the UK crashing out of the EU?

Do betting places even take bets for certain things?

We dont want the UK to leave with no deal, it wont be good for anyone. Its funny but my family members  who live in London and are all bankers normally demonstrate such prudence and restraint around global events, they never panic and arent prone to hyperbole. They voted no to leave but now they are confused and incredibly frustrated...I feel sorry for them because I do believe there is way forward that the UK parliament needs to implement. They should have another referendum with 3 choice and honestly let the people decide due to the gridlock and paralysis of the UK government around  getting agreement and consensus. These 3 choices should be

• Leave with no deal
  • Leave with Teresa Mays deal
  • Dont leave 

After this vote then everyone needs to accept the outcome and finally deliver on it  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

that explains a lot

like what?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

cca67bebd2968c11f33e5b13234a1966cb9070b0

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

its out of date mate, or you are terrible in geography (I don't blame you, Europe is soo big) :)

• Like 1

We dont want the UK to leave with no deal, it wont be good for anyone. Its funny but my family members  who live in London and are all bankers normally demonstrate such prudence and restraint around global events, they never panic and arent prone to hyperbole. They voted no to leave but now they are confused and incredibly frustrated...I feel sorry for them because I do believe there is way forward that the UK parliament needs to implement. They should have another referendum with 3 choice and honestly let the people decide due to the gridlock and paralysis of the UK government around  getting agreement and consensus. These 3 choices should be

• Leave with no deal
  • Dont leave 

After this vote then everyone needs to accept the outcome and finally deliver on it  :geek:

Advisory referendums are just bad form of political point collecting especially when only half of the voting population votes and result is close victory for one side of simplified question of complex issue.

I don't believe that another close call referendum especially with three choices will make anything better, even though it could look solution for UK's parliament's dead lock state, but as that dead lock means that UK will leave without deal from EU, it isn't necessary thing where you need panic referendum. 

Currently question is if UK's parliament's non-hard-liners can come in agreement of do they want leave with existing trade deals, stay on EU or let hard-liners win with their deadlock strategy. In all the cases it is highly likely that people will not like their decision and/or its results.

• Like 1

• Leave with no deal
  • Dont leave 

Advisory referendums are just bad form of political point collecting especially when only half of the voting population votes and result is close victory for one side of simplified question of complex issue.

I don't believe that another close call referendum especially with three choices will make anything better, even though it could look solution for UK's parliament's dead lock state, but as that dead lock means that UK will leave without deal from EU, it isn't necessary thing where you need panic referendum. 

Currently question is if UK's parliament's non-hard-liners can come in agreement of do they want leave with existing trade deals, stay on EU or let hard-liners win with their deadlock strategy. In all the cases it is highly likely that people will not like their decision and/or its results.

I hear you, here is a good thread that supports your view around the data 

https://www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

But just to clarify my point, there are 66 million people in the UK and only about 34 million voted. So yes only 50 % of the total population participated in the referendum ...and the yes Vote only won by 3 % which is exactly why I feel such a critical and important decision as leaving the EU needs reassessment,  now that we have new information around BREXIT. The reality is the original strategy around BREXIT was lacking in understanding  and the  consequences of leaving, done unintentionally, weren't properly explained to the UK citizens which is why I support another and final referendum 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I meant to comment on this earlier, he needs be treated leniently or get a full pardon IMO

I have major issues with soldiers from the various coalitions in Afghanistan or Iraq being charged with war crimes or controversial behavior  unless the evidence is irrefutable like in the case of Abu Ghraib. Why do I say this, the sectarian groups and other extremist groups involved in these conflicts  have never respected the Geneva Convention and have constantly committed egregious war crimes so we just need to be fair when it comes to actions of US soldiers under such conditions when dealing with enemies like ISIS, Shia extremists and AQ 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_torture_and_prisoner_abuse

John Milton 

alex jones claims "psychosis" is a cause of his conspiracy theories.

lordy.

HA! Good Fun!

:lol:  At least stand by the s--t you shovel! I'd have more respect for him if he just said "hey I get paid a lot of money to stoke some people's wildest fears" 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If there is going to be another civil war in the US this is where it starts: https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/31/us/colorado-red-flag-gun-law/index.html

I have said it before and I will do so again now. And do it in complete earnestness and seriousness. If they come for mine they had better be prepared to die for them. Because I am and I will do my damnedest to see some of them do.

In other news: https://www.newportri.com/news/20190327/state-police-no-bump-stocks-turned-in-since-ban

You f-----s want them so goddamned bad why don't you go kick down peoples door and take them? You f-----s know you want to. 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Multiple choice referenda are usually designed to have one question win. Eg

1) Remain in EU

2) Leave EU, have customs union

3) Leave EU, use May agreement

4) Leave EU, no agreement

(1) wins easily because all the people who want to stay vote for it and the leavers get split across 3 options. Might not make a majority, but who cares if the other three options are getting 17% each and it's got 48%. And you can do the reverse to have leaving be the most popular choice too. You have to do them using preferential/ transferable vote system, and you can bet the 48% remainers would still get their panties twisted about how each leave option 'only' had 17% support so they 'really' won. We got exactly that reaction here for our general election, the government got 54% but it was split across 3 parties so 'really' the opposition party with 46% 'won' since it got the largest single share.

Bet Dave Cameron wish he'd thought of doing a multi choice referendum in the first place, would have made it a lot easier to get his preferred option into pole position.