Herald Summoner - Which Build do you follow?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. For a Summoner class, which option do you choose?

• Beckoner
    • Troubadour
    • I'm in doubt
    • I prefer the other subclasses of Chanter.
  2. 2. Which Paladin do you choose for the summoner build?

• Kind Wayfarers
    • The Shieldbearers of St. Elcga
    • Goldpact Knights
    • Bleak Walkers
    • I'm in doubt
    • I prefer the other subclasses of Paladin.

Welcome to the joy of restartitis. When you restart every time because you want to try new class ;)

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

@Frak, @thelee and others

"Creatures summoned by Invocations are immune to the paladin Abjuration ability.

What does the paladin's Abjuration skill do? Destroy them immediately?

Answer: https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Abjuration

I'm thinking about this way my build: Maximize hit, Intelligence, and damage / healing.

Might 18, Dex 9 (10), Per 17 (18), Con 6, INT 18, Resolve 7.

GodLike Nature for Druid / Chanter; GodLike for Paladin / Chanter looks like the most synergistic options (Starts with 20 INT's face).

Weapons only read Sword / Saber / Shield / Sword 2-h, I'm really in doubt. I believe that the weapon, is well linked to the type of paladin you choose, what do you think?

Edited by michel.montenegro

Paladins Abjuration should hurt/destroy enemy spirits and enemy summons. And yes, immediately. Like when you banish spirits.

I have no comment on stats. It depends on whether you prefer ranged or melee, and your playing style. You want to summon things, but what to do between summoning?

• Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

Paladins Abjuration should hurt/destroy enemy spirits and enemy summons. And yes, immediately. Like when you banish spirits.

I have no comment on stats. It depends on whether you prefer ranged or melee, and your playing style. You want to summon things, but what to do between summoning?

a) Wow!! In this case a group of paladins can destroy my invocations, very easy! Beckoner here gets an extra good, because getting lost invocations like that is pretty annoying.

b) I have no comment on stats. It depends on whether you prefer ranged or melee, and your playing style. You want to summon things, but what to do between summoning?

1. Not to die

2. Keep my invocations alive.

3. Buff and strengthen invocations to deal as much damage as possible.

4. Cause the most damage without dying.

I'm fond of Bleak Walker or Kind Wayfarer combined with Troubadour. I'll also pick up both Weapon & Shield and Two Weapons styles and use one of the offhand weapon shields for two FoD procs.

Bleak Walkers: Except for deception, he generates Buff to nearby allies, causing everyone to have Corrosion and Sickened Affliction damage.

Doubt: Corrosion is one type of damage per second? Similar to Burn? Where can I see information?

Kind Wayfarer is similar to the Bleak Walkers, only he heals the Allies by hitting, if I remember correctly.

Doubt: Are both Kind Wayfarer and Bleak Walkers benefited from Dual Weapon? (When you hit twice activate x2 the effect? For example, the healing of 14 n end is 28? Corrosion I do not know how it works so I do not know if it's cumulative)

Note: FoD with Weapon + shield or 2h-Weapon, does not accumulate, only activates x1.

Bleak Walkers, is not it better with Beckoner? The double of invocations beating with fire damage?

Shared Flames doesn't copy additional effects like the Bleak Walker or Kind Wayfarer FoD: it just adds an extra Burn lash to allies.

• Like 1

1) Use ranged weapons then. Being ranged gives you more freedom to move and avoid bad stuff. I'd go down in might, up con and resolve.

2) Chanter healing phrases are good (Ancient Memory, Old Siec and others). Paladin healing also good. Druid have some healing and armor spells.

3) Dunno if paladin or druid is better for this. Chanter have lot of different phrases for buffing team.

4) Druid offensive spells, rifle and pistols are good. Can also do damage with long-range melee weapon behind teammates (pike, quarterstaff).

• Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

I'm fond of Bleak Walker or Kind Wayfarer combined with Troubadour. I'll also pick up both Weapon & Shield and Two Weapons styles and use one of the offhand weapon shields for two FoD procs.

Bleak Walkers: Except for deception, he generates Buff to nearby allies, causing everyone to have Corrosion and Sickened Affliction damage.

Doubt: Corrosion is one type of damage per second? Similar to Burn? Where can I see information?

Kind Wayfarer is similar to the Bleak Walkers, only he heals the Allies by hitting, if I remember correctly.

Doubt: Are both Kind Wayfarer and Bleak Walkers benefited from Dual Weapon? (When you hit twice activate x2 the effect? For example, the healing of 14 n end is 28? Corrosion I do not know how it works so I do not know if it's cumulative)

Note: FoD with Weapon + shield or 2h-Weapon, does not accumulate, only activates x1.

Bleak Walkers, is not it better with Beckoner? The double of invocations beating with fire damage?

Shared Flames doesn't copy additional effects like the Bleak Walker or Kind Wayfarer FoD: it just adds an extra Burn lash to allies.

So by using "Shared Flames," you're going to give allies a buff of weapon damage, right? How this synergy works

1) Use ranged weapons then. Being ranged gives you more freedom to move and avoid bad stuff. I'd go down in might, up con and resolve.

2) Chanter healing phrases are good (Ancient Memory, Old Siec and others). Paladin healing also good. Druid have some healing and armor spells.

3) Dunno if paladin or druid is better for this. Chanter have lot of different phrases for buffing team.

4) Druid offensive spells, rifle and pistols are good. Can also do damage with long-range melee weapon behind teammates (pike, quarterstaff).

Sporelings kills very easy the Boars of 3 skulls, on the island (Difficulty Veteran). My Paladin dies u.u "

Am I choosing the wrong paladin subclass? Mine does not kill java and still dies, but the Druid destroys the boar!

Extra:

How does Corrosive and Burn work? Both are "Damage over Time"? If yes, how much is the base d Burn and Corrosion (I do not know if it has to increase)

Edited by michel.montenegro

That's because Druids are unusually good vs boars.  

Do you have any bonuses?

* Paladin ( https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Subclasses ):

• The Garrote Steel is worth it? Can anyone tell me if his damage generates a good cure? I read here that it is a good class for solar, maybe the best class to go solo. What do you think?

The boars - and the drake at the digsite - are especially hard fights. The boars use the ability "Gore" that will drain a lot of health if it hits.

They (and Gorrecci Street) are the hardest fights early on.

Druids can charm beasts if you have the "charm beast" spell. Boars are beasts.

Burn and corrosive damage over time should be listed in the spell description.

Edited by Frak
  • Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

100% of the votes went to Troubadour. (O.o)

Paladino is well-balanced, but Shieldbearers are leading and Goldpact Knights / Kind Wayfarers are tied. (0.0)

Now ALL are ignoring the Bleak Walkers, Darcozzi and The Steel Garrote. ( :o )

It seems that Garrote is good with sublasse that increases the base damage of the Paladin (Barbaro / Paladin).
It seems that Bleak Walkers who would be the "opposite" of Kind Wayfarers, is also being ignored ...

White Flames heal twice when used with dual-wielding.

Additionally you can stack enough passives for ~x1.77 healing done; and that's 2x14*1.77 = 49.56 which you can deliver every 3s if you want, with a fast weapon in offhand. And that's... a quite decent HPS, if we compare it with stuff like Consecrated Ground... although it is limited by zeal. And that's why I am thinking of Wayfarer/Tactician as main healer for my next run.

Btw, if you have a bashing shield it is still counted as dual-wielding (this is especially note-worthy for wayfarer/monks with Tuotilo's Palm).

For this reasons I would prefer Wayfarer over Steel Garrote in majority of non-solo cases.

For solo though, it would be another story, because SG can heal from weapon damage even with simple auto-attacks.

P.S. As for poll... it depends whom am I building.

If I had to make a summoner herald for a 5-man party, it would mostly likely be a summoner support.

So dumped PER, and not relying on weapon damage.

In this case:

- Wayfarer, Bleakwalker and Steel Garrote are out.

- Shieldbearer - is welcome IF I have someone built around using Barring Deaths Door, like Bloodmage.

- Goldpact - is welcome, due to extra tankiness.

- Darcozzi - just why?

1) Bash Shield, is it a specific type of shield? or is this for all the shields?

If you hit with sword and shield with Wayfarer I will have 28 healing, instead of 14 (Well does he consider 14 * 2)? Or does this shield effect only occur when I hit or use a specific skill?

2) What does PER mean?

3) The self-healing of the Steel Garrote, is it that efficient in auto attack? How much does he heal per hit? (I could explain, it's the first time I see anyone here talking about this subclass)

4) You mentioned the cases in which you go as a group, preferring to go as a Support for the team, I noticed that you removed from the Wayfarer, Bleakwalker and Steel Garrote list. Are these subclasses bad for support?

- Steel Garrote: I understand he heals only himself, but would not that leave your tank alive longer, giving more security to the team?

- Wayfarer: Is there no area healing helping summoning or other knocking around?

- Bleakwalker: He really has no bonus to support (Survival to the team), but its effect in area seems that can be exploited in favor of the team.

Darcozzi: No one seems to like him (In The Herald).

- Goldpact - It seems that the only advantage of it is that it gives you an extra armor (I think of 4), is that it?

"Shieldbearer - is welcome IF I have someone built around using Barring Deaths Door, like Bloodmage."

Could you explain the combo?

Lay of Hand = 3s does not die

Barring = Do not let it die, is that it?

How do they both work together?

1). Bashing shield is a special kind. Such an item is considered both shield and an offhand weapon.

Afaik there are only 3 bashing shields in the game:

- Tuotilo's Palm

- The Best Defense

- Magran's Blessing

2). PER - means perception. MIG, CON, DEX, PER, INT, RES. Just short notations.

3). Iirc it heals for 15% of weapon damage done. For a 5-man party imho it's not enough. But it can be handy for solo, when you have a tanky character and by stacking enough hp-regenerating effects you can potentially prevent your hp from going down; transforming the fight positive outcome into a matter of time.

4). Wayfarer is great for healing-inclined support. And is somewhat ok for summoning-focused support... but imho not that optimal, because summoning takes quite a lot of time. This means that you won't be attacking enough and your hps with white flames will be lower. Additionally if you don't attack enough, you don't need PER, and the ring of focused flame will most likely be given to some more offensive party member.

Similar thing goes for Bleakwalker and Steel Garrote.

As for Goldpact: yes, the main power forte here is +4AR that you get for 1 zeal and just 0.5s of cast time. Unless your AR is already skyhigh (but you would need to go a long way to achieve this on PotD), extra 4AR can often result in halving if not more the incoming damage. And here is the damage-sponge archetype, were herald and his summons are on the fronline, trying to take fire on themselves.

And as for Shieldbearer... look Bloodmage can restore spellusages at the cost of own health via Blood Sacrifice. Shieldbearer's Lay on Hands prevents a character from dying for a brief period of time. This alone adds some safety and a few extra usages of Blood Sacrifice for a Bloodmage that is low on hp. Now add here Salvation of Time from a priest, and prolong this safety window for 10+s. And that's one way to deal with the limit of spells you can cast per encounter.

Note: I saw that there are combos with Wayfarer and Bleakwalker, availing themselves of their effects, but no one explains correctly or completely how to make these combos.

Wayfarer plays nicely with a Skald, Helwalker, Nalpazka, Tactician.

- with Skald you can go for Rännig's Wrath rapier (with modal on) + Kapana Taga + Ring of Focused Flame. That's alone a +39/+19+ accuracy boost to your attacks during FoD. The intent here is to crit a lot, and spam low-rank chanter invocations.

- with Helwalker - you boost your MIG and thus your heals, which also help compensating for increased damage taken.

- with Nalpazka - it's a safer choice, but you get an extra source of wound generation + a drug effect (just be careful about enemy Arcane Dampener)

- with Tactician - the idea is to be able to go infinite, via brilliant; so you can keep healing your allies without the fear of running out of resources.

As for Bleakwalker - there are 2 selling points:

- their FoD is keyworded with both burn and corrode, and thus benefits from respective +1 PEN talents.

- their FoD does also apply Sicken. That's -10 fortitude on target, less healing taken, and -5 CON (which usually lowers enemy max hp by ~15%, and that's like virtual damage).

• Like 2

As for Goldpact: yes, the main power forte here is +4AR that you get for 1 zeal and just 0.5s of cast time. Unless your AR is already skyhigh (but you would need to go a long way to achieve this on PotD), extra 4AR can often result in halving if not more the incoming damage. And here is the damage-sponge archetype, were herald and his summons are on the fronline, trying to take fire on themselves.

It seems that the gold "shield" lasts for a few hits (7 except for deception) and it ignores or totally absorbs the damage. This bonus of +4 is something that for how long?

Shieldbearer... look Bloodmage can restore spellusages at the cost of own health via Blood Sacrifice...

Shieldbearer, to have your best potential depends a little on other classes, different from GoldPact, from what I see, is that right?

Wayfarer is great for healing-inclined support. And is somewhat ok for summoning-focused support...

Wayfarer, is good for combinations of more aggressive classes, which beat, because to stay a while without hitting casting invocations, this is not so good for this class (Proposal of the Multiclasse Herald), is what I understood.

Now by the vote the people really like Kind Wayfarers(2º), The Shieldbearers of St. Elcga (1º), Goldpact Knights(2º) to be Herald

3). Iirc it heals for 15% of weapon damage done. For a 5-man party imho it's not enough. But it can be handy for solo, when you have a tanky character and by stacking enough hp-regenerating effects you can potentially prevent your hp from going down; transforming the fight positive outcome into a matter of time.

What is "Iirc"? (Item, Skill, ...?)

What is "Iirc"? (Item, Skill, ...?)

it's an abbreviation that stands for "if I recall correctly"

Thank you

Doubts:

1. How many points does Herald receive to distribute in the skills, in total?
  2. How many points do we receive to distribute in arms in total (To have access to 'Modal')? 
  3. How can the Paladin get Zeal points during the fight?

Do these 15% exclusively consider the damage of the weapon, or the final damage generated?

Not depending on Skills is pretty cool, but people seem to prefer 'Wayfarers' to healing rather than 'Garrote', but to have constant healing without depending on Zeal's points, is not it better? (Monk / Paladin should look good with Garrote)

Doubts:

2. How many points do we receive to distribute in arms in total (To have access to 'Modal')? 
  3. How can the Paladin get Zeal points during the fight

For clarity, let's use the correct terms.

1. I assume you mean abilities, because skills are like "stealth" or "intimidate." All multiclass characters get two ability points per new unlocked ability level aka inherent power level (for multiclass, this is at levels 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19), and one ability point otherwise, for a total of 27 ability points by level 20 (two at level 1, one at level 2, one at level 3, two at level 4, etc.). If you are talking about class resource (aka how much zeal or bond you have), the amount of class resource you have is equal to the number of ability levels you have unlocked plus 2 (so for a multiclass, it is 3 zeal at level 1 all the way up to 9 zeal at level 19). 

2. Everyone other than a devoted or blackjacket gets two weapon proficiencies at level 1, then a new one at every fourth level (4, 8, 12, 16, 20) for a total of 7 weapon proficiencies by level 20.

3. Paladins can get more zeal points mostly through Virtuous Triumph at AL7 which gives you a small (25%?) chance to get +1 Zeal after personally killing an enemy. Paladins can also get a passive +1 to their max zeal from Inspired Path at AL4. There are other ways to get more class resource, though they are uncommon (aka Brilliant inspiration). All else fails you can use empower on yourself to regenerate half your max class resources, rounded up.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 2

Doubts:

1. I assume you mean abilities, because skills are like "stealth" or "intimidate." All multiclass characters get two ability points per new unlocked ability level aka inherent power level (for multiclass, this is at levels 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19), and one ability point otherwise, for a total of 27 ability points by level 20 (two at level 1, one at level 2, one at level 3, two at level 4, etc.). If you are talking about class resource (aka how much zeal or bond you have), the amount of class resource you have is equal to the number of ability levels you have unlocked plus 2 (so for a multiclass, it is 3 zeal at level 1 all the way up to 9 zeal at level 19). 

2. Everyone other than a devoted or blackjacket gets two weapon proficiencies at level 1, then a new one at every fourth level (4, 8, 12, 16, 20) for a total of 7 weapon proficiencies by level 20.

3. Paladins can get more zeal points mostly through Virtuous Triumph at AL7 which gives you a small (25%?) chance to get +1 Zeal after personally killing an enemy. Paladins can also get a passive +1 to their max zeal from Inspired Path at AL4. There are other ways to get more class resource, though they are uncommon (aka Brilliant inspiration). All else fails you can use empower on yourself to regenerate half your max class resources, rounded up.

What does AL7 and AL4 mean?

Early or Mid Game, Is it Hard to Kill a Herald "The Steel Garrote"?  It caught my attention the part of recovering life while it hits. Do not depend on Zeal to hit with your abilities.

Doubts:

Early or Mid Game, Is it Hard to Kill a Herald "The Steel Garrote"?  It caught my attention the part of recovering life while it hits. Do not depend on Zeal to hit with your abilities.

AL7 and AL4 is my annotation to refer to abilities that appear on the 7th or 4th row of your character ability tree.

Most people and the game refer to these as "power levels" but honestly that's fairly confusing because "power level" in this context has a different meaning and different semantics from "power level" used in other contexts (I've gotten confused questions directed at me in the past when I say power level in these contexts--I adopted "ability level" over time to differentiate between the two major uses of the phrase "power level"). I consider it one of the confusing mechanics of the game (after inversions).

Edited by thelee
  • Like 2

Doubts:

AL7 and AL4 is my annotation to refer to abilities that appear on the 7th or 4th row of your character ability tree.

Most people and the game refer to these as "power levels" but honestly that's fairly confusing because "power level" in this context has a different meaning and different semantics from "power level" used in other contexts (I've gotten confused questions directed at me in the past when I say power level in these contexts--I adopted "ability level" over time to differentiate between the two major uses of the phrase "power level"). I consider it one of the confusing mechanics of the game (after inversions).

Steel Garrote primarily works multiclassing with another high damage melee class like barb or rogue so they can do the damage to get the healing.  

I got it, thanks.

Troubadour from what I've been reading basically only go with the modal ability 'Brisk Recitation' disabled, since most prefer to have Chants overlap without much effort. They seldom use the ability of his extra phrases.

I am still beast as it is disputing the 3 subclasses of paladin in the poll, very different from the subclasses of bardo that this basically homogeneous.

Troubadour from what I've been reading basically only go with the modal ability 'Brisk Recitation' disabled, since most prefer to have Chants overlap without much effort. They seldom use the ability of his extra phrases.

I don't know where you read this stuff, but I definitely use Brisk Recitation a lot, especially in boss fights. While by default it's nice to have overlap with no effort, if you don't use Brisk Recitation advantageously, you are throwing away half of the troubadour's strengths, because otherwise they are just much worse at invocations.

I don't know where you read this stuff, but I definitely use Brisk Recitation a lot, especially in boss fights. While by default it's nice to have overlap with no effort, if you don't use Brisk Recitation advantageously, you are throwing away half of the troubadour's strengths, because otherwise they are just much worse at invocations.

But if I keep active 'Brisk Recitation', does the linger go to 0? and even with + x1.5, does not get smaller than those of an ordinary Chanter?

Note: On Google, I'll see what they say.

But if I keep active 'Brisk Recitation', does the linger go to 0? and even with + x1.5, does not get smaller than those of an ordinary Chanter?

Note: On Google, I'll see what they say.

I think you're misunderstanding something about Brisk Recitation. I don't know what you mean by "smaller" because Brisk Recitation has no effect on area.

Yes, Brisk Recitation means linger goes to 0, but that's the whole point - sometimes it is worth trading off linger to get invocations faster, and both Boeroer and I have mentioned cases where losing linger is actually not much of a drawback because the faster chant interacts advantageously with itself.

• Like 1

I think you're misunderstanding something about Brisk Recitation. I don't know what you mean by "smaller" because Brisk Recitation has no effect on area.

Yes, Brisk Recitation means linger goes to 0, but that's the whole point - sometimes it is worth trading off linger to get invocations faster, and both Boeroer and I have mentioned cases where losing linger is actually not much of a drawback because the faster chant interacts advantageously with itself.

I wanted to see a good build for Beckoner / Paladin, I only see Trovador, when a brave and experienced player will show Beckoner's strength?

Does the beckner have a good practice? They said that 90 ~ 95% of the game he is strong but strong in what way? Too much damage, creatures, what can he be strong in? Are there any Beckoner / Paladin builds that take advantage of his real strength?

I wanted to see a good build for Beckoner / Paladin, I only see Trovador, when a brave and experienced player will show Beckoner's strength?

Does the beckner have a good practice? They said that 90 ~ 95% of the game he is strong but strong in what way? Too much damage, creatures, what can he be strong in? Are there any Beckoner / Paladin builds that take advantage of his real strength?

Question off: Can I create another character during the game, and have two characters created by me? Can you do this "Fast" right at the beginning of the game?