Questions the the Devs - Take 2

1. Are you going to make combat more interesting for the non-Jedi characters? It was very monotonous in KOTOR 1 and weapons quick slot alone won't change it enough. After all, with current feat/power system, a Jedi has many more tactical options. Maybe arm-mounted flamefrowers/stun rays as an alternative to gloves, like the droids have?

Also, will it be possible to select a feat for automatical use as the default? It would cut on tedium of filling the queue with the same feat every time.

2. Will it be possible to retreat the whole party from combat?

3. Are you going to change art for armor and headgear? Those "jogging suit" light and medium armors and most masks/goggles looked pretty embarassing in KOTOR1.

And isn't it a waste of work to create clothes for the party NPCs that join later in the game? They'd have them on just for a few seconds it takes to equip armor/robes. Wouldn't personalised armor/robes in the first place make more sense?

Thanks

1. Are you going to make combat more interesting for the non-Jedi characters? It was very monotonous in KOTOR 1 and weapons quick slot alone won't change it enough. After all, with current feat/power system, a Jedi has many more tactical options. Maybe arm-mounted flamefrowers/stun rays as an alternative to gloves, like the droids have?

I read somewhere that each NPC will have some kind of unique ability to make them usefull. There was an example given of one NPC you pick up that has wrist mounted rocket launchers.

I read somewhere that each NPC will have some kind of unique ability to make them usefull. There was an example given of one NPC you pick up that has wrist mounted rocket launchers.

That was the ability of Mira, or at least one of them

the other as Atton can't be knocked out ocmpletely or something like that.

That would be kick ass, especially since I don't think I used the shields even once in any of the many games I played. <_<

"There was an example given of one NPC you pick up that has wrist mounted rocket launchers."

Well, if they don't occupy the usual weapons slots it would be a step in the right direction... only it's just one NPC and those who saw the rocket launchers in action reported that they are pretty useless. Morever, isn't she a rogue? If they stick it through with many situations were skills are essential, she will have enough to do anyway. But a soldier can only fight... and in KOTOR1 only in a dull repetetive manner.

I have hoped that the active combat feats would be re-worked, converted into two-step feats and expanded with various new offensive/defensive stuff. So, that a non-Jedi would have a better choice than the old Power attack, Critical and Rapid/flurry. But Droid-like arm and wrist-mounted weapons can do just as well in diversifying combat.

Yes, arm mounted weapons could go into the shield slots as well as the glove slot. In KOTOR1 I used shields only with my main character anyway. Though it can change in this game as they have promised to make firearms effective as well. Still, it would offer a nice tactical choice - offense or defense. Could make it so that one can only equip flamethrowers et al. with heavy armor for believability's sake and have dart launchers etc. for lightly armed folks. Can even require a feat to use.

In any case, dear Devs, as you want us to use non-Jedi NPCs more, giving them at least decently varied tactical options in combat would be a big step in the right direction.

Questions:

- Will the score for TSL be composed and conducted before an orchestra this time like Shadows of the Empire?

- With the introduction of customizable LS will we actually be able to name our LS like swords in LOTOR for example?

- Will there be more artifacts like ancient weapons, sabers and robes?

- Will the PC be training his/her own apprentice at some point in the game?

I know the last question is plot oriented and I don't expect an answer, so I'll understand if there is "no comment" answer given.

Guest Exar Kun
....like swords in LOTOR for example

The bastard child of KOTOR and LOTR?

Elrond: Isildor! You must cast the ring into the fire!

Isildor: It is mine!

Elrond: *Force Push*

Isildor: ahhhhh!

But that would have saved several million dollars in fil productions and 9+ hours spent sitting in a dark theater...but cost Peter Jackson and his crew of hobbits, elves, humans, and dwarves (not to meantion the orcs and various other creatures) several little gold statues.

Will more of the ancient Sith Lords (Ajunta Pall) be making appearances on the various planets along our jouney?

How about your namesake Exar? Actually I thought he was still alive during this time period. Not sure if it was posted here or where I read it but I thought he was about 4000 years old when he finally died????

How about your namesake Exar? Actually I thought he was still alive during this time period. Not sure if it was posted here or where I read it but I thought he was about 4000 years old when he finally died????

He's alive in spirit, but to save himself he had to make himself part of a temple on Yavin IV, trapped there until Luke started his Jedi Academy and he was able to force his will on one of the students. So yes, he's alive, no you won't see him anywhere other than in a temple on Yavin IV. :p

P.S. This is also how all the Massassis died. In the Sith Magic spell he cast to make his spirit a part of the temple, it took all their life force. Those 4000 years spent in solitude also made him rather more unstable than he already was. :blink:

Will the new game reference the Tales of the Jedi series, as did the first game? Exar Kun, Nomi Sunrider, Andar and their stories were all from that series.

In fact, given that the dev team has mentioned the game will have a theme of the "mentor-student relationship", am I incorrect in drawing parallels to the story of Ulic Qel-Droma and Nomi's daughter, his student? Ulic was Nomi's former lover and an exiled Jedi who had lost his connection to the force after/during the fight against Exar Kun, only to regain it when Nomi's daughter came about looking for guidance. That sounds a LOT like what we've heard about the protagonist of the new game.

But isn't Ulic going to be a little old? He's a contemporary of Jolee, IIRC, and I can't see many of the teen players coming to grips with playing an "old fart". I, myself, think that would rock.

[i posted this in the other thread as well. Sorry. I'm new.]

Will the new game reference the Tales of the Jedi series, as did the first game? Exar Kun, Nomi Sunrider, Andar and their stories were all from that series.

In fact, given that the dev team has mentioned the game will have a theme of the "mentor-student relationship", am I incorrect in drawing parallels to the story of Ulic Qel-Droma and Nomi's daughter, his student? Ulic was Nomi's former lover and an exiled Jedi who had lost his connection to the force after/during the fight against Exar Kun, only to regain it when Nomi's daughter came about looking for guidance. That sounds a LOT like what we've heard about the protagonist of the new game.

But isn't Ulic going to be a little old? He's a contemporary of Jolee, IIRC, and I can't see many of the teen players coming to grips with playing an "old fart". I, myself, think that would rock.

[i posted this in the other thread as well. Sorry. I'm new.]

Ulic died already.

A Cathar Jedi named Sylvar hired a pilot named Hoggon to take her to him, so she could kill him for killing her husband, back when he was a Dark Jedi. They fought and eventually Sylvar came to her senses, and realized she was turning to the darkside in searching for revenge. They stopped fighting. She made her peace with him and with herself.

That's when Hoggon shot and killed Ulic (figuring it would make him famous for killing one of the worst criminal's of the Exar Kun war).

I thought the point of this thread was to ask the devs questions about TSL and not to make up ***t or to go off topic. Why not let the devs answer a few questions before filling up another 2 pages.

By the way thanks EnderWiggin for collecting all the answered questions, it makes it alot easyer to know what has been answered. I don't know about you guys but I would care to read what the devs have to say and not alot of conjecture.

I can't really think of a question so i'll include one from the unanswered list

Can I set a DEFAULT combat move I want my party members to use? Or setup some AI scripts?

To further go with that will the party npc's know to pull out a melee weapon when the enemies get within stiking distance. OR could we choose to set up one character to have secondary weapon and another just a primary

I've got something. Not really a question, but a suggestion for the developers. Have a feat that allow Lightsaber roles to have bonuses from Dexterity, not Strength.

In D20 Star Wars there's already a feat like that called "Weapon Finesse". It allows you to choose one weapon. When you attack with that weapon, you gain bonuses from having a High Dexterity. Normally you'd get the bonuses from having a high Strength.

This is good for characters with high Dexterity, but low Strength. For characters with high strength or comparitively low Dexterity, this feat would be pointless.

There might be some balancing issues, though. In D20 Pen & Paper, this feat was balanced by the fact it could only be used with one melee weapon. In TSL, you'll likely only be using a Lightsaber. With only one weapon to worry about, no one would care about raising Strength, and mostly raise Dexterity. More Dexterity means a better AC, which means you'll be harder to hit. So why would anyone not want to take this feat?

The answer is armor. Armor, especially the heavier varieties, cap out the dexterity bonus. If you're hindered by armor, you can't use your Dexterity to full benefit. If you want to wear heavy armor, you can't use Weapon Finesse, so you're basically shooting yourself in the foot.

I can see this feat being used mostly by Jedi. Certain armors prevent using Force Powers, so they wouldn't wear armor anyway.

Thougths?

I didn't mind armor effecting dexterity because that actually makes sense.

Armor effecting Jedi Powers bothered me because in KOTOR the Sith Masters wore armor and their powers were un-effected.

Darth Bandon wore a "fiber" version of the Sith Master armor. His powers weren't effected either.

And of course we know that Darth Vader was a bionic armored machine, so I don't think those D20 rules should apply.

Guest Exar Kun
I didn't mind armor effecting dexterity because that actually makes sense.

Armor effecting Jedi Powers bothered me because in KOTOR the Sith Masters wore armor and their powers were un-effected.

Darth Bandon wore a "fiber" version of the Sith Master armor. His powers weren't effected either.

And of course we know that Darth Vader was a bionic armored machine, so I don't think those D20 rules should apply.

Good point but I think that would possibly make the game a bit easier...having a stronger heavy armor and having the best force powers would make things a bit uneven...i think that's why the rules apply to most of the force powers only being able to be used while wearing clothes, robes, and other non-armor items.

<i>Good point but I think that would possibly make the game a bit easier...having a stronger heavy armor and having the best force powers would make things a bit uneven...i think that's why the rules apply to most of the force powers only being able to be used while wearing clothes, robes, and other non-armor items.</i>

Hmm,what if they made feats that allowed the Jedi to wear Armor and use the force? Could also be possible make it so the only armor that could be used is light or medium.

I rather like the robes,but it did strike me as a bit odd that some of the Sith used Armor and had no prob blasting off a round a lighting or something like that.

I also thought it was wierd that when we put on darth bandon's armor not only did it restrict our force powers but it looked nothing like the armor he was wearing.

Indeed, but I do believe that the developers here at Obsidian are going to remedy that.

I would expect that all armor types will be available and will look like they are supposed to.

Okay. New Question.

The Mask of the Sith Lord in all the promos, game previews, and early screen shots.

I have a theory.........

After careful examination of the look and texture of the Mask(very voodoo in appearence btw) I have come to the conclusion that the Mask of this Sith Lord is no mask at all..............

IT'S SOMEONE'S SKULL!

The Mask of the Sith Lord is made up of Frontal and Maxilla Bones. The Jaw and Mandible Bones have been removed to create this face plate Mask.

So if this Mask really is a skull, then who did the skull belong to?

Taken From the Bones of an Ancient Sith Lord?

A Jedi Master? (in which case it wasn't given willingly)

Revan?

Bastilla?

Malak? (remember that Malak had no jaw or mandible bone)

I know that this a plot oriented question, and speculation on top of it. Just thought I would ask the Devs anyway.