Dark Rock Industries Limited is a synonym for Black Isle, and it is a personal company of no other than Feargus Uquhart himself.
Obsidian owns only the Project Eternity codename from the Kickstarter times.
Let's check the facts regarding all the games that Feargus or his buddies worked on:
- Infinity Engine games (BG, IwD, P:T) are in the hands of Atari
- Fallout is in the hands of Bethesda
- Arcanum went form Sierra to Activision
- Temple of Elemental Evil is in the hands of Atari
- Vampire is in the hands of Paradox
- Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic was in LucasArts, but Disney shut it down
- Neverwinter Nights is in the hands of Atari, as other Forgotten Realms titles
- Alpha Protocol is in the hands of SEGA
- Pathfinder is in the hands of Paizo
- Dungeon Siege is in the hands of Square Enix
- South Park is in the hands of Ubisoft
20 years of gamedev and all of this great work gone to some other companies.
Most of them are not interested in doing anything with their franchise.
Feargus Uquhart made this decision so Pillars would be safe in case of something went wrong in the future (as you know something DID GO wrong with Black Isle in the past).
Feargus, you cheeky Black Isle Bastard I salute You
Edited by Messier-31, 06 November 2018 - 03:47 AM.