Thoughts On Rymrgand Post-Beast Of Winter...

Rymrgand, perhaps based on his portfolio, seems very different from the other gods in the sense that he simply does not give a damn. Perhaps he is very confident about his portfolio in the sense that all things end eventually but he also does not seem to care that he was artificially created or that mortals find out or anything along those lines. He seems to altogether have a different attitude about things though it is not entirely clear why.

Some questions that arise are: 

1. Why does Rymrgand hold the other gods in contempt and even the Engwithans that created him?

2. Why after defeating the Beast of Winter avatar does he simply let you go?

3. How can he place a chime within you if Berath has already does so?

4. He seems to be aware of Eothas' plans yet is not bothered by them, perhaps because he thinks those plans will ultimately hasten his agenda?

Any thoughts on the mystery of Rymrgand would be appreciated.

1. Because everything ends. Hard to get excited about stuff that you already view as dead.

2. Because he’s being set up at the antagonist for part 3

3. Is there a limit?

4. Because nothing Eothas does will change the fact that everything ends

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

1. Because everything ends. Hard to get excited about stuff that you already view as dead.

3. Is there a limit?

If the Watcher is already a godlike, Berath manages to put a chime in them with no difficulties.

A point Rymrgand mentions when he says that the Watcher having three chimes isn't a problem as far as he is concerned.

• Like 2

The thing about allegedly furthering Ryrmy's plans no matter what the Watcher does (either by agreeing to take a chime or wondering if fighting him helped him in some way), my Watcher (i.e. me) took the attitude that it just doesn't matter.

Getting the chime obviously furthers his plans as you do Rymrgand's bidding while alive AND consigns the Watcher's soul to the White Void on death.

No.  Thanks.

"But wait," I hear you say.  "What if fighting him ALSO helps him in some strange unknowable cosmic way?"

Well, to that I say: If the Watcher has been placed in a Kobayashi Maru like "Heads I Win; Tails You Lose" situation where there are only two options given, like hell am I going to choose the one that makes me a slave to yet another god where I am doing his overt bidding.  I'll take my chances with Agency, and roll the dice by captaining my own destiny.

If somehow kicking him in the shins did something for him in an ineffable way?  So be it.  That's on him, not me.  Give me my Player Agency thank yew veddy much.

Sides, I'll just deal with that plotline in PoE V or PoE IX or whenever it comes up. :lol:

Edited by Zap Gun For Hire
  • Like 1

I think Rymrgand lets you go because, when you "end" his avatar/champion/whatever that thing may be for a moment, you show promise as someone who can hasten his goals: All things must end, including himself.

• Like 4

I think Rymrgand lets you go because, when you "end" his avatar/champion/whatever that thing may be for a moment, you show promise as someone who can hasten his goals: All things must end, including himself.

That and he wants to mess with the Watcher's head.

He can't just up and up force the Watcher to stay in the White Void without wrecking the Deal With Eothas plan.  Or at least he doesn't want to have to explain what went down  to his fellow gods and start over.

But if he can get a useful tool by bluffing?  Great!  And if he can also plant a seed of doubt in the Watcher's noggin and try to exploit it later.... Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.  At worst he gave the Watcher an object lesson in the futility of opposing the gods*.  At best, he might get the Watcher to start overthinking things.

Hence my headcanon that my Watcher doesn't give a second thought to the machinations of Rymrgand. ;)

* NOTE:  If Rymry had succeeded in killing the Watcher there?  Well obviously it would have proven that the Watcher wasn't up to snuff and would have been killed by something else.  Rymrgand might not be as Survival of the Fittest as, say, Galawain.  But I think most of the gods would see his point.  Especially since most of them try to push around the Watcher when they think they can get away with it.

Edited by Zap Gun For Hire
  • Like 1

3. Is there a limit?

I can't believe I didn't think about that. If the third game is preventing the end of the world via souls being stuck in the Beyond or whatnot, of course he'd be a big antagonist to that.

• Like 2

As to the first post, I think he suspects what Eothas wants to do and the potential consequences, and thus *wants* Eothas to succeed. Which in retrospect further highlights the giant risk of Eothas' decision.

For the chime, I don't think there's a limit more than the limit of having contradictory oaths to different lords. And after seeing the manipulative, uncaring, 'abusive father' content from him, I highly suspect him pressuring you into taking a chime or dying was an attempt to trick you and gain more control over you on a permanent basis.

Edited by Tick
  • Like 1

Let's also not forget that the very idea of fighting Rymrgand to get out of his realm is something most kith wouldn't comprehend as an option. I mean, you're in the physical presence of the divine, in the heart of his own realm. If it were any other mortal in that position, they'd immediately bow down and beg for his mercy, no matter how cruel, and that's what Rymrgand expects you to do as well.

But the Watcher is no ordinary mortal. Whether because returning from death has dispelled the fear of the end for them, their being on first name basis with the pantheon has made them realize they're not as impressive as they boast, or because the Watcher is JUST. THAT. CRACKED. They're the only one who's seen outside Eora's current paradigm and thus can create a solution Rymrgand doesn't expect.

It's almost like the Gordian Knot story, in a way. Dozens of kings fail the challenge because they think the knot HAS to be taken apart by hand, and Alexander the Great wins when he realizes "that isn't the only option" and just cuts it in half with his sword. So too in Beast of Winter: Rymrgand says "Serve me and you can leave, or stay here forever," and the Watcher simply asks "Why don't we just fight for it?"

• Like 1

As to the first post, I think he suspects what Eothas wants to do and the potential consequences, and thus *wants* Eothas to succeed. Which in retrospect further highlights the giant risk of Eothas' decision.

For the chime, I don't think there's a limit more than the limit of having contradictory oaths to different lords. And after seeing the manipulative, uncaring, 'abusive father' content from him, I highly suspect him pressuring you into taking a chime or dying was an attempt to trick you and gain more control over you on a permanent basis.

At the end, does Eothas remove his chime and Berath's or just Berath's chime?

Just Berath's. 

The design reasoning might be that the Watcher had no choice but to accept Berath's chime while the Watcher DID have a choice on whether or not to accept Rymrgand's chime.

Well, more of a choice at least. ;)

• Like 4

Just Berath's.

The design reasoning might be that the Watcher had no choice but to accept Berath's chime while the Watcher DID have a choice on whether or not to accept Rymrgand's chime.

Well, more of a choice at least. ;)

Thanks, Zap. It does make sense that you'd keep the chime if you decided to go for it. Hmmm.. that might have consequences in the future. O_O

• Like 2