Eh - as I said above: nope. Because they don't go unconscious, they simply vanish. So there's no proper trigger for those procs. Effigy's Husk can do an AoE raw damage attack on KO that is pretty strong - but phantom doesn't trigger it when it gets killed.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

That battle axe goes so well with the godhammer plate... ;)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 2 years later...
On 8/1/2018 at 3:33 AM, Boeroer said:

Citzal's Spirit Lance is the best melee weapon in the game. And I mean it. Seriously!

It scales perfectly well. Maybe the tooltip had a hickup.

However, the biggest bonus point is that it transports nearly all on-hit/on-crit effects over to its AoE.

That isn't too powerful for a single class wizard, but very, very good for multiclass wizards that get some special attack abilites:

• Rogue:
    • Arterial Strike/Gouging Strike/Toxic Strike - raw DoT in an AoE with only one attack (besides the afflictions of course which also get applied to all enemies who got hit) 
    • Deep Wounds in an AoE
    • Sneak Attack and Deathblows in an AoE
    • AoE Riposte
  • Fighter:
    • Knockdown and Mule Kick in an AoE (hilarious)
    • Cleave with AoE
    • Clear Out: every hit of the AoE attack that Clear Out does will trigger another AoE attack of the lance = HUGE damage (and also everybody gets pushed and goes prone)
  •  Monk:
    • Swift Flurry & Heartbeat Drumming: I don't think I have to say a lot - more chances to crit which might trigger another AoE attack wich is more likely to crit than a singel target attack and so on. Still produces chain reaction that one-shot low-defense mobs
    • Stunning Blow & Surge: Stun in an AoE. WIth Stunning Surge you almost always regain your Mortification. In 1.22 you even get more Mortification than you spend (nearly always) - thus you can spam it endlessly
    • Force of Anguish: I think you know what happens. It's like a grenade filled with human bodies as shrapnell. ;)
    • Skyward Kick: like Mule Kick basically
    • Instruments of Pain: the lance becomes a ranged weapon with a range of 10.8 meters but unlicke Long Pain you can still use all melee abilites with it, including Swift Flurry & Heartbeat Drumming.
  • Paladin:
    • Flames of Devotion in an AoE. THat's is basically. Nothing too wild but still nice
  •  Druid:
    • Taste of the Hunt: big raw DoT on everybody and usually full heal
  • Cipher:
    • Soulblade: Soul Annihilation applies its raw damage to every enemies it hits in a weird (but powerful) way
    • Ascendant: Draining Whip + Spirit Lance means you always get maxed with one attack if you hit enough enemies
  • Barbarian:
    • Barbaric Blow in an AoE: the crit chance and damage translates, but Carnage does not proc off of the AoE hits (in general)
    • Blood Frenzy/Spirit Frenzy apply their effects in an AoE (additional to Carnage)

I'm sure I forgot something. I did a lot of testing around the Lance and can't remember all stuff because there are so many cool synergies. Unfortunately Ranger's Wounding Shot does not transport its DoT to the AoE rolls. Also the pike modal doesn't. Concussive Shot and Tranquilizer do work though.

WotEP does translate afflictions and stuff to its cone, but it doesn't work with Clear Out and INstruments of Pain, its base damage is a lot lower and its AoE is smaller. It has some nice enchantments though

Wahai Poraga only hits 3 additional foes around you - you have to be surrounded by foes and its base damage is lower. It also doesn't work with Instruments of Pain, but with Clear Out.

Both cost huge amounts of money to bring to legendary status. This can be done earlier than Spirit Lance reaches legendary, but it makes you spend a lot of moey that you could put into stuff that gives you more advantages than upgrading your weapon from superb to legendary 

That's why I think that Citzal's Spirit Lance is the best melee weapon in the game. This also works with mortars, Minor Blights and rods with Blast of course, they are no melee weapons though and thus don't work with several melee abilities.

I personally think that wizard/monk is the most crazy combo (because of Flurry+Drumming and Surge), but rogue and fighter are also supernice. Soulblade, too - you just won't use any cipher powers... ;)

Now I will get toasted because I most likely caused a nerf. :p

Amazing post.

Does Citzal count for the purpose of Devoted?

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

The AoE is crush if I'm not mistaken. Only the initial hit is pierce. So you can simply alternate targets and should be okay. 

Hmm, that changes things indeed!

Edit: Okay, since the Citzal's guy is a mid-liner (and I already have 2 front-liners), then perhaps wasting the first turn summoning Citzal's is not so bad. He's back online then.

I guess I will do another Fellowship of the Ring party! ;)

Edited by Lampros