Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sanguine Plate (or similar) armor in Deadfire: You know you want it!

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5185 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

How many of you remember good ol' Sanguine Plate from Pillars of Eternity?

Arguably one of the best-looking armors the game had to offer:

rQSLJvw.png

Blood-red, with runes etched all over and golden trimmings. The White March expansion even added a red helm to match.

Unfortunately, this item didn't carry over to Deadfire—nor was a similar armor included. A little bird told me it's not even planned at present, so I figured I'd start a thread to gauge people's appetite for one. If you too loved the Sanguine Plate and would like it—or a similar-looking armor—to exist in Deadfire please join me in saying so. If interest in it is apparent, I can tweet this thread to Obsidian/Brandon to bring this to their attention in hope something will happen ;)

• Tick, TheisEjsing, Carmir and 14 others like this

Parasol_Syndicate

Parasol_Syndicate

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 267 posts

While Sanguine plate defined my watcher in his Gilded Vale days, I'm happy enough with his evolution to (RED) Nomad's Brigandine. 

Deadfire's hotter country, and I'm no longer trying to make a name for myself and my keep, just trying to stay protected between side quests. 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate, 12 July 2018 - 10:09 AM.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5185 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Isn't Nomad Brigandine one of the unique items that do not have a unique model?

Personally I find that none of the armors in Deadfire looks as good as Sanguine Plate (or, well, how good Sanguine Plate would look in Deadfire's engine with the high-poly models) :)

• Parasol_Syndicate likes this

Parasol_Syndicate

Parasol_Syndicate

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 267 posts

Here goes nothing.

Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_10_57_34_AM.pn

Yeah, that's sort of what I'm getting at. It looks like a tough guys armor, not particularly ornate or specific. Suited for the rigors of the climate, and occasional necessities like burgling wizards or shaking down random thugs. 

Certainly the sanguine plate would look better with these new graphics, and the frenzy is keenly missed. 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate, 12 July 2018 - 10:31 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12979 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Gimme Sanguine Plate for my Sanguine Great Sword! How can any sane dev seriously put a Sanguine Great Sword into the game but deny me my Sanguine Plate? I think I'm going all CAPS LOCK!
  • FlintlockJazz, illathid, AndreaColombo and 8 others like this

DozingDragon

DozingDragon

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Definitely bring it and other popular items from PoE back. Sounds like a good hook for free dlc to me.
  • AndreaColombo likes this

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm honestly surprised they didn't go for low hanging fruit of party slowly returning stolen and missing equipment from previous game as it happened in BG2. Double itemization, double amount of clubs.

• AndreaColombo, Carmir and lpro like this

TT1

TT1

Transcendent Spirit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I can mod sanguine into the game, but l cannot mod the look.
  • DozingDragon likes this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5185 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Personally I’m more after the looks than the specific mechanics it had in the first game (even in PoE I was using it mostly for the looks.)
  • TT1 and InsaneCommander like this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1709 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's not in the game?! I'm very angry and absolutely furious!

Arddv

Arddv

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts

I'm more of a brestplate guy and I want my Osric's family, Steel Swan, and that black one from WM2 watcher. Now.

The ones that are currently in deadfire are either too shiny (Doc), pompouse (Pallegina / honor guard) or too ragged (Casita). Hell, generic enchanted ones look better than unique.

• Ophiuchus likes this

heldred

heldred

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 134 posts
I find the armor designs in POE2 fairly unimpressive, comparing the designs to POE.

There are so many types of historical armor to draw upon for inspiration and ways to make armor look even cooler with physical details (wings, animal features, spikes, etc.) or particle effects (slight smoke, fire, lightning, etc.).

Yeah, they really did a lame job with armor...

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5185 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Honestly I don't think armor design in Deadfire is bad at all. I like how it is rooted in historical armor, which was notoriously keener on being practical than looking good—and even then, armor in Deadfire looks good.

The thing is, magical armor often doesn't look as special as it could/should. No need to venture into cartoonish, WoW territory with oversized stuff packed with rounded corners and bright colors but, as heldred said, spikes, runes, chains, and VFX would go a long way. Something like the Sanguine Plate in high-poly would look amazing and hopefully Obsidian will give it to us :)

• dunehunter, illathid, JerekKruger and 2 others like this

Dorftek

Dorftek

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 820 posts

Yeah the gear overall looked much better in the first, also more interesting enchantments on em. But i guess it doesnt really matter unless they implement appearance slots. Until then my watchers will continue to dress in DoC breastplate ;P

M4xw0lf

M4xw0lf

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Pale Hide looks super badass on Barbarians/Druids/any kind of character that can rock the feral brute look.

• Dorftek likes this

Veolfen

Veolfen

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts

I agree there's a lack of beautiful unique armor.

I need a unique helmet with the "greathelm" skin ! So my knight can look cool AND be strong !

anathanielh

anathanielh

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 427 posts
Ya, if they had a transmog/appearance slot for every piece of visible armor, that would be quite cool.
I do think the actual unique effects are better than the first game, though. My favorite examples being the alchemist’s cache, the indecisive necklace, and the shifting chroma. (I love random effects)

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2482 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
Leather/padded armors’ look is greatly improved in DF, I never use them in PoE 1 because of the look but now I give all my team light armors because they looks baddass :)

heldred

heldred

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 134 posts
I ageee, Leather (superb+) looks great....

The magic stuff looks too common. Maybe that was the look they were going for, conservative-bland... somewhere between wow-esque and bland is a happy medium.

Better yet, offer everything and let the players decide :)

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5185 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I’m surprised so few people are actually keen on having this armor back.

Am I in the minority because not many people actually liked the red armor much, or because not many people actually give a flying what their character looks like?

I mean, I find both answers equally flabbergasting but you know—might as well quench my curiosity at this point :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users