Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Class Build] A Dance with Death (Shadowdancer 1.2 PotD solo)

Trickster Helwalker Tuotilo Shadowdancer PotD solo Solo Dance of Death

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Vonmara

Vonmara

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts

A seemingly fragile glass cannon that can attacks fast, dodge everything, deal with mobs, and get out of the stickiest situations alive.

Alright, this is my first post after years of lurking. (Sorry about my poor formatting skills and no pics)

This build is for you if you like:
- versatile characters
- playing around your afflictions
- outmaneuvering enemies with risky plays

This build is NOT for you if you:
- hate micro
- don't like very squishy characters
- feel uneasy because you don't have heals (ya goddamn chicken, **cluck-cluck...!**)

When Trickster was the only class to get buffed in the last two patches, I thought I'd try a solo run on a character I had in mind originally as a Streetfighter/Nalpzaca, which proved to be too squishy and unreliable in some fights.

What does this build do: goes into fight and builds up asap maximum Wounds, either by deliberately getting yourself hit a couple of times (but who wants that, really), or by using the titular ability of this build, i.e. Dance of Death. Then, as you have a +10 Int +15 Might bonus, you can start casting all the defensive buffs that allow you to not get hit, and keep stacking bonuses while attacking very fast thanks to Lightning Strikes. All of this spiced up by the mystique of the Trickster, which provides all the afflictions and the CC that base Rogue is missing.

THE PREMISE:
Spoiler

BUILD

BERATH'S BLESSINGS:

Spoiler

RACE:
Spoiler

REGION:
Spoiler

STATS: 
Spoiler

ABILITIES BY LEVEL:

Spoiler

SKILLS: 

Spoiler

EQUIPMENT:

Spoiler

STRATEGY
Spoiler

Thanks to Stealthmandem for some useful suggestions!

Edited by Vonmara, 14 July 2018 - 04:57 AM.

• gogocactus likes this

Dorftek

Dorftek

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 828 posts
Sorry if u wrote it somewhere I'm half asleep but what was ur deflection score at endgame with 10 wounds and buffs running?

Also as for the large fang I'm pretty sure you can buy this off of the Alchemy shop?
In any case, I believe drakes drop em

Edited by Dorftek, 05 July 2018 - 02:24 PM.

Ciphys

Ciphys

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Wait.... Thunderous blows does not stack with the Helwalker passive as of 1.2?

What?

That sounds extremely silly ...
Has it been confirmed that it is an intended behavior?

Edited by Ciphys, 05 July 2018 - 04:35 PM.

Stealthmandem

Stealthmandem

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
Great build, i did the hell walker version which was great.

Some tweaks based on my experience would be

Whitewitch mask. Plus 1 power level in illusion as well as access to ryngrims terror per rest. When blooded activates too

https://pillarsofete...ervating_Terror

Went with high arcana and used pull eora and ray of fire on a centre target. Deals lots os damage. Anyone coming out after spell end swift flurry.

Swift flurry works well with riposte for chance of full attack again and synergises well with gaze of the adragan.

I put less points into dexerity due to being missed a lot and auto attacks.

I put both moddels on for unarmed 2 penetration bonus and shield accuracy bonus is missed of 15 on your next attack. Crits often and with swift flurry does even further damage.

May try druggie monk but was scared of the dampner putting me into negative state.

Great build though.
  • Vonmara likes this

Stealthmandem

Stealthmandem

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
I wouls also recommend getting riposte much earlier as it is a free attack and the main purpose of having high deflection.

Vonmara

Vonmara

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts

I wouls also recommend getting riposte much earlier as it is a free attack and the main purpose of having high deflection.

In hindsight you could get it lvl 11 instead of Blade Turning. I just copied the build I followed as I went through the game, as I wasn't sure in which direction it was gonna go.

Sorry if u wrote it somewhere I'm half asleep but what was ur deflection score at endgame with 10 wounds and buffs running?

Also as for the large fang I'm pretty sure you can buy this off of the Alchemy shop?

I couldn't find the Large Fang anywhere, I'm almost sure they are unique components. But I hope you can prove me wrong, as both Kapana Taga and Tuotilo need it.

The total Deflection score is
20 base
57 lvl
18 (up to 23 with Steadfast from Gipon) Resolve (note: here I was considering the bonus by resting at the Shrine near Poko Kohara)
12 Tuotilo base(Legendary)
10 Tuotilo's upgrade from Wounds
10 Gipon Prudensco
6 Weapon and shield
30 Mirror Image
= 163 (168 with Steadfast) without using drugs.

EDIT: Can get an extra +4 when using Kapana Taga with Lone Champion upgrade.

EDIT2: All the bonuses above seem to stack with Moonwell too, so add another +10.

Edited by Vonmara, 07 July 2018 - 08:36 AM.

Vonmara

Vonmara

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts

I put both moddels on for unarmed 2 penetration bonus and shield accuracy bonus is missed of 15 on your next attack. Crits often and with swift flurry does even further damage.

For some reason the modal of Small Shield doesn't work for me, I've checked the combat log and I never seem to get the +15.

• joshmays289 likes this

Dorftek

Dorftek

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 828 posts

In hindsight you could get it lvl 11 instead of Blade Turning. I just copied the build I followed as I went through the game, as I wasn't sure in which direction it was gonna go.

I couldn't find the Large Fang anywhere, I'm almost sure they are unique components. But I hope you can prove me wrong, as both Kapana Taga and Tuotilo need it.

20 base
57 lvl
18 (up to 23 with Steadfast from Gipon) Resolve
10 Gipon Prudensco
6 Weapon and shield
30 Mirror Image

Yeah the drug wouldn't stack with mirror image anyway. As for large fangs I haven't had the chance to play yet since my last post. I'm gonna start the game now tho and check if it can be bought. If not then that's definitely something we need to track down and add to the "limited resources" thread.

Vonmara

Vonmara

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts

What?

Apologies, I started writing this while playing the 1.2 beta version. Seems like they stack again in the final build of the patch.

20 base
57 lvl
10 Gipon Prudensco
6 Weapon and shield
30 Mirror Image

Yeah the drug wouldn't stack with mirror image anyway. As for large fangs I haven't had the chance to play yet since my last post. I'm gonna start the game now tho and check if it can be bought. If not then that's definitely something we need to track down and add to the "limited resources" thread.

Playing a bit more, I realised they are dropped by drakes (which is probably where I got it, early game there's a reasonably easy drake fight), dragons and kraken, and I still can't find a vendor that has them. I suppose we can track the drakes around the game. 

Edited by Vonmara, 06 July 2018 - 11:32 PM.

mosspit

mosspit

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
Well, Rooting Pain apparently is 33% not 25%. So it was nerfed but it's not too bad.

Vonmara

Vonmara

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts

Well, Rooting Pain apparently is 33% not 25%. So it was nerfed but it's not too bad.

But we are trying to not get hit, so it would proc very rarely! :)

Dorftek

Dorftek

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 828 posts

What?

Apologies, I started writing this while playing the 1.2 beta version. Seems like they stack again in the final build of the patch.

20 base
57 lvl
10 Gipon Prudensco
6 Weapon and shield
30 Mirror Image

Playing a bit more, I realised they are dropped by drakes (which is probably where I got it, early game there's a reasonably easy drake fight), dragons and kraken, and I still can't find a vendor that has them. I suppose we can track the drakes around the game. 

I found Large Fang for sale at the alchemy merchant =)

• Vonmara likes this

Vonmara

Vonmara

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts

I found Large Fang for sale at the alchemy merchant =)

OK, I seem to be very unlucky. I had to refresh it 8 times before the merchant sold me one. Thought they would have always they same items for sale.

Edited by Vonmara, 07 July 2018 - 03:35 AM.

mosspit

mosspit

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

But we are trying to not get hit, so it would proc very rarely! :)

This is response to your statement that rooting pain was nerfed to 25%. Just saying thats its different from beta.

Rooting Pain used to be one of my favourite abilities, allowing you to CC by just getting Wounds. Now it's a 25% proc: too unreliable, considered that Dance of Death provides every 3s .

Edited by mosspit, 07 July 2018 - 03:37 AM.

• Vonmara likes this

hansvedic

hansvedic

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 197 posts

Why not take Stunning Blow + Stunning Surge? With a full attack w/ fist + Tuotilo's Palm and high accuracy, you should be able to refund the mortification points regularly.

Vonmara

Vonmara

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts

Why not take Stunning Blow + Stunning Surge? With a full attack w/ fist + Tuotilo's Palm and high accuracy, you should be able to refund the mortification points regularly.

I'm not so sure about that: Stunning Surge has no bonus to accuracy, unlike some Rogue abilities.

Doing the maths: with Dance of Death max stacks, Tuotilo's bonus, and say, some drug, the max accuracy you can get is ~+135 .

On upscaled PotD, things in tough encounters have a Deflection ranging from 90 to 120. That means, on average, about one hit on every five 5 will score a crit, and for a full attack it means ~36% crit chance. That's quite the gamble if you ask me.

I don't think it's worth it, considering that Mortification is crucial to get Dance of Death back up in case you get hit too much, and to spam Lightning Strikes through the whole fight.

But I guess it's really good for 2 or 3 "big bosses" fights, where they tend to have ~60 Deflection. In this case, the gamble is less risky, but you will agree with me that spending two points on a skill that will come useful for 20 minutes of gameplay means leaving out two other skills. The candidates for the replacement could be the level 19 and 20 skills in the build, i.e. Soul Mirror and Dichotomous Soul. Now, I'm particularly fond of these two, as they give you free attacks Vs ranged misses, and two really good dummies that replicate your equipment, making them EXTREMELY TANKY (note: they replicate triggered active effects too: Gipon bonuses, and if you're wearing a Maker's Own Power belt, well, that too, making your free summons virtually immortal and able to soak ludicrous amount of aggro and damage).

Therefore, no, I would personally not go for Stunning Surge.

Edited by Vonmara, 07 July 2018 - 11:19 AM.

• hansvedic likes this

Oriz

Oriz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Steam:Stu89pid

Fun build, I am using this for a a vet solo run (since I'm a pleb) and took riposte at 11 instead of blade turning. It's very effective. 

You can buy a large fang at the alchemy shop in Neketaka (Forget the name but just south of Dark Cauldron) - not sure if you have to be a higher level before the large fang spawns, i was around level 8-10 when I purchased it. 

• Vonmara likes this

bigwillystyle

bigwillystyle

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Steam:willdorris
Rock solid build. At lvl 11 potd - loads of fun.

This guide is worth it for the Arteiro the Avenger tips - worked flawlessly!

Vonmara

Vonmara

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts

Rock solid build. At lvl 11 potd - loads of fun.

This guide is worth it for the Arteiro the Avenger tips - worked flawlessly!

Thanks man! I'm pretty sure it had already been outlined somewhere else in the forum (by Victor Creed aka Raven Darkeholme, I believe)

bigwillystyle

bigwillystyle

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Steam:willdorris

Ended up finishing the game for the first time [I have major alt-itis] with this build because it was JUST THAT MUCH FUN.

I used the gladiator sword for pretty much the entire game - first time I ever upgraded it to Legendary, but it just worked so well!  This build did far more that 50% of damage, crits, etc ... compared to the rest of the party and died the fewest times.  Good times.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trickster, Helwalker, Tuotilo, Shadowdancer, PotD solo, Solo, Dance of Death

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users