Build Name: The Redeemer

Class: Inquisitor (Paladin/Cipher)

Subclasses: Goldpact Paladin/Soul Blade

Introduction: 2h solo character built around the synergy between paladin (high defenses and survivability), cipher (high damage) and The Whispers of the Endless Paths (AoE, Offensive Parry). 

Game version: 3.0

Difficulty: PoTD

Solo: Built for solo

Race: Pale Elf

Culture: The Living Lands

Background: Mercenary

Attributes: 19Mig/3Con/4Dex/19Per/18Int/15Res

Skills: Max Alchemy/Intimidate

Equipment:

Setup 1:  Whispers of the Endless Paths, (Weapon), Casita Samelia's Legacy (Armor), Helm of the Falcon (Head), Charm of Bones (Neck), Cape of the Falling Star (Back), Bracers of Great Deflection (Hands), Chameleon's Touch (Ring), Kuaru's Prize (Ring), Boots of the Stone (Feet), Blunting Belt (Belt), Abraham (Pet)

Setup 2:  Sun and Moon (Weapon), Tuotilo's Palm (Shield), Patinated/Blackened Plate (Armor), Blackened Plate Helm (Head), Charm of Bones (Neck), Cape of the Falling Star (Back), Bracers of Great Deflection (Hands), Chameleon's Touch (Ring), Kuaru's Prize (Ring), Boots of the Stone (feet), Blunting Belt (Belt), Abraham (Pet)

Abilities:

1. Gilded Enmity + Lay on Hands + Whispers of Treason

2. Flames of Devotion

3. Deep Faith

4. Zealous Aura + Draining Whip

5. Two Handed Style

6. Weapon and Shield Style

7. Eternal Devotion + Hammering Thoughts

8. Sworn Rival

9. Two Weapon Style

10. Exalted Endurance + Greater Focus

11. Bear's Fortitude

12. Snake's Reflexes

13. Righteous Soul + Borrowed Instinct

14. Keen Mind

15. Lingering Echoes

16. Virtuous Triumph + The Empty Soul

17. Disintegration

18. Practiced Healer

19. Stoic Steel + Monastic Training

20. Retribution

How it works:

The build can achieve at max level 150+ all defenses in 2h mode (with Borrowed Instinct and other semi-permanent bonuses - food, brothel, etc.). VS multiple enemies the obvious choice is the WotEP which allows us to spam Soul Annihilation because the focus will be replenished at the same time from hitting multiple enemies. The Offensive Parry allows us to deal free damage and gain even more focus for Soul Annihilation. Soul Annihilation benefits from PL and at high level the WotEP will hit almost like a real 2h weapon.

Against single enemies or when we need a more tanky build we will use Sun and Moon and Tuotilo's Palm Shield. The flail does crush damage which complements nicely the WotEP and because it hits twice it will also replenish focus during Soul Annihilation (which means PL bonus with every hit). The shield gives 20% chance to riposte when missed by the attacker and reduces recovery (because of dual wielding bonus). Because Soul Annihilation always uses the main hand we'll attack as fast as a dual wielder while having the defensive bonus of the shield at the same time and 20% chance to riposte on misses. Monastic Training adds the equivalent of the superb enchantment to the hits/ripostes from the shield at max level.

Observations:

Recommended Effigy: Devil of Caroc - more penetration against humans in plate always helps.

Entonia's Ring can be used against humans because they always engage.

Best endgame food is Shark Soup (immunities, PL and might), but until we get Borrowed Instinct Hylea's boon is better.

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 5

Devil of caroc effigy works on weapon attacks but not for spells, the penetration shows up in combat log but doesn't explain the source. and Gipon Prudensco is currently bugged atm I think? The bonus stacks infinitely and I was getting over 300 defenses when I tried it.

Devil of caroc effigy works on weapon attacks but not for spells, the penetration shows up in combat log but doesn't explain the source. and Gipon Prudensco is currently bugged atm I think? The bonus stacks infinitely and I was getting over 300 defenses when I tried it.

Don't know about the logs, but when you look at the penetration on the character screen there's no bonus from the effigy. Personally I experienced no bug with Gipon Prudensco - it stops at 10 stacks... I'm curious however if Entonia Signet works for you.

Don't know about the logs, but when you look at the penetration on the character screen there's no bonus from the effigy. Personally I experienced no bug with Gipon Prudensco - it stops at 10 stacks... I'm curious however if Entonia Signet works for you.

Entonia signet works for me but only during combat of course, and where do you even get Gipon Prudensco? I had to add it with console since asking for it's location in the unique thread didn't help.

How could you get 160 defense with 2h sword? Mind share your deflection screen?

It's possible, because one of cipher's spells give 20 all defenses, in fact, inthe build I'm working on, I should have 210 deflection on inquisitor at level 20, with casita legacy chest and the athletics shield.

Wish Cipher had more interesting gameplay than spamming Soul Anihilation.... Soul Blade is good sub for melee but every time I think about Soul Blade, I know Fighter/Zerker/Monk/Chanter/Rogue would be just plain better to multi than it and offers more than just taking whole subclass  for spaming one ability.

That is not towards your build OP- sound nice like every build with paladin- it's good for solo. I am just complaining how devs made Soul Blade boring and not really entertaining.

Also you would have much better DPS at end-game levels with just spamming Desintegration. It pretty much one-shots everything in game. 

Edited by Voltron

Wish Cipher had more interesting gameplay than spamming Soul Anihilation.... Soul Blade is good sub for melee but every time I think about Soul Blade, I know Fighter/Zerker/Monk/Chanter/Rogue would be just plain better to multi than it and offers more than just taking whole subclass  for spaming one ability.

That is not towards your build OP- sound nice like every build with paladin- it's good for solo. I am just complaining how devs made Soul Blade boring and not really entertaining.

Also you would have much better DPS at end-game levels with just spamming Desintegration. It pretty much one-shots everything in game. 

Last boss has like 153 fortitude, that disintegration is gonna take a while to even land a graze.

20 (base)

57 (level)

21 (deep faith)

20 (borrowed instinct)

20 (armor)

10 (resolve)

7 (bracers)

5 (weapon)

---------------

160 total deflection (without Entonia Signet which can add even more if it works).

PS. Don't know yet where Gipon Prudensco can be found...  :(

PPS. I confirm also that the penetration bonus from effigy devil of caroc isn't working for me

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1

It's possible, because one of cipher's spells give 20 all defenses, in fact, inthe build I'm working on, I should have 210 deflection on inquisitor at level 20, with casita legacy chest and the athletics shield.

I know you can get 200+ deflection with that op large shield, but just based on the gear OP post, i'm not sure if 160 is reachable tho. You get 20+57+21 = 98 basic deflection, 20 from borrowed instinct, you need another 42 deflections from gears.

Edit: So I checked that Gipon armor, it gives u up to 20 deflections ouch :)

Edit 2: man it's just so easy to stack deflection in deadfire.

Edited by dunehunter

20 (base)

57 (level)

21 (deep faith)

20 (borrowed instinct)

20 (armor)

12 (resolve)

7 (bracers)

5 (weapon)

---------------

162 total deflection (without Entonia Signet which can add even more if it works).

PS. Don't know yet where Gipon Prudensco can be found...  :(

It's from one of the pirate captain.

Also, does Bracers of Greater Deflection (Hands) +7 deflection even exist in the game? Because the best pair I found for myself was a pair of gloves that adds 2 athletics which convert to 1 damned deflection, if so, where is it located?

Last boss has like 153 fortitude, that disintegration is gonna take a while to even land a graze.

That is only last boss. Like what on level 19-20 has problem with last boss? For sure it won't be Paladin/anything multiclass.

I know you can get 200+ deflection with that op large shield, but just based on the gear OP post, i'm not sure if 160 is reachable tho. You get 20+57+21 = 98 basic deflection, 20 from borrowed instinct, you need another 42 deflections from gears.

Correct me if I am wrong but from what I have read yesterday on that armor it gives Deflection only vs Disengaging Attacks, not flat Deflection vs everything.

Correct me if I am wrong but from what I have read yesterday on that armor it gives Deflection only vs Disengaging Attacks, not flat Deflection vs everything.

It's the enchant of the armor, not the default stats, it gives 2 deflection and 4 reflex every time you are hit in combat, stacks 10 times, but I believe it's currently bugged atm because when I tried it on the final boss I got over 300 deflection and reflex in the middle of the fight.

Disintegration is not that good despite what the description says - it does 56 raw dmg/tick (empowered) every 3s, while with Soul Annihilation I do, on average, 100 raw dmg every 3s... Also the fact that it targets fortitude is a big disadvantage. In fact an empowered Plague of Insects (which is a lower level spell) - does more damage/tick, over a huge area and has a much longer duration...

Also, does Bracers of Greater Deflection (Hands) +7 deflection even exist in the game? Because the best pair I found for myself was a pair of gloves that adds 2 athletics which convert to 1 damned deflection, if so, where is it located?

If I remember well they can be bought from the bonus merchant...

If I remember well they can be bought from the bonus merchant...

I think that one is a cloak, but need someone else to confirm it.

I observed a bug with Borrowed Instincts during long fights... If you cast it while the enemy is already affected by it, the new debuff will appear only when the first expire, however the caster is left without the selfbuff...

Disintegration is not that good despite what the description says - it does 56 raw dmg/tick (empowered) every 3s, while with Soul Annihilation I do, on average, 100 raw dmg every 3s... Also the fact that it targets fortitude is a big disadvantage. In fact an empowered Plague of Insects (which is a lower level spell) - does more damage/tick, over a huge area and has a much longer duration...

Strage, description says 240 dmg per 3 seconds. Maybe it's incorrect then.

Strage, description says 240 dmg per 3 seconds. Maybe it's incorrect then.

Yes, I think it's the total damage... The descriptions aren't very accurate

Version 1.2, is that correct (beta branch)? Or 1.0.2?

I added it with 1.0.2 to the build list. Correct me if that was wrong. :)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods