do you still get a lot of ripostes on potd since enemies have so high values?

I wish time parasite was a level lower with cipher so you could use it with a multiclass.... 

Yes, you can use the Cloak of Great Deflection until you find the bracers.

Does Inspiring Triumph effect the paladin as well or only team mates? If so this would be a nice addition it seems.

No, it affects only the allies...

I don't know if I'm being totally blind/oblivious here, how is this build able to make use of Riposte? Also, if I've counted correctly, there should be a few spare ability points kicking around - are there any of the other cipher abilities you think work well with this build? Looks great though, looking forward to giving this a go on my next run through.

I don't know if I'm being totally blind/oblivious here, how is this build able to make use of Riposte? 

I don't really understand your question... 

Also, if I've counted correctly, there should be a few spare ability points kicking around - are there any of the other cipher abilities you think work well with this build? Looks great though, looking forward to giving this a go on my next run through.

Yes, I listed only the "core" abilities defining the build. After that you can pick whatever you want depending on your preferences. As a cipher you can always take some AoE CC spells to help you against multiple enemies. 

I don't know if I'm being totally blind/oblivious here, how is this build able to make use of Riposte? Also, if I've counted correctly, there should be a few spare ability points kicking around - are there any of the other cipher abilities you think work well with this build? Looks great though, looking forward to giving this a go on my next run through.

The Riposte from this build comes from the Whispers of the Endless Paths.

I don't know if I'm being totally blind/oblivious here, how is this build able to make use of Riposte? 

I don't really understand your question...

I was just confused because as far as I was aware, Riposte was a Rogue-exclusive ability. But Caeryii has explained in #31 (cheers for that!) that it's from the weapon (didn't realise, as my Blade was bugged out on my first play-through and I didn't make Whispers).

And thanks for the suggestions re: the remaining abilities, appreciate it.

the samelia armor might also work great?

a crusader might also work well for this due to the defense buff? you loose soul annihilation on the other hand you get cleaving stance

also with that low perception, don't you get issues to actually hit with borrowed instincts?

Edited by Nemesis7884

the samelia armor might also work great?

a crusader might also work well for this due to the defense buff? you loose soul annihilation on the other hand you get cleaving stance

also with that low perception, don't you get issues to actually hit with borrowed instincts?

Yes, Casita Samelai's armor and the Cloak of Greater Deflection are great replacements to use before you get the final gear. The best tactic to land Borrowed Instincts is of course pick the enemy with the lowest will defense, then cast Tenous Grasp (lower focus used so you can spam it until you get at least a graze) which will lower their will by 20, then cast Borrowed Instincts (or you can try also casting first Psychovampiric Shield to lower further their will if they really have great defenses).

Does it still work with 1.1 ?

The nerf of the WoEP makes the weapon very situational now and not using it makes the deflection stacking less important.

Right now it's better to focus on armor/penetration and I will probably replace the WoEP with the Willbreaker and Gipon Prudensco with the Blackened Plate/Patinated Plate, but I need more testing before updating the build.

• 4 weeks later...

Does it still work with 1.1 ?

The nerf of the WoEP makes the weapon very situational now and not using it makes the deflection stacking less important.

Right now it's better to focus on armor/penetration and I will probably replace the WoEP with the Willbreaker and Gipon Prudensco with the Blackened Plate/Patinated Plate, but I need more testing before updating the build.

After testing my 2H ideas I also ended with something similar (while Obsidian continue change game balance I don't want to create new build topic, and want to share my ideas in this post).

Soul Annihilation in 1.2 increase your base damage roll and convert all your damage to RAW, so you can do 60 - 120 RAW AOE per hit

WoEP riposte will generate additional focus, and you can spam Soul Annihilation, each second attack

I don't like Armor Stacking,  because of that I picked Fighter with Great Sword specialization, now in 1.2 you will get +3 passive penetration

Unlike Paladin you can get only +14 deflection from passives, but you will have more stable deflection bonus from armor buff

In 1.2 you can farm Gipon Prudensco, but it will give you only +10 to deflection in summary you can hit something like +140 deflection

With Armor Grace + Pet your armor recovery = 0%

Dump dexterity, use drug that increase action speed, use helm that reduce 2h recovery, use food that reduce recovery speed, with that setup you will end with 1.5 sec to recover

You can also increase your damage with next modifiers: I picked human +15% damage, +15% from Fighter, +25% to crit  from Fighter subclass, +30% from 2H modal

With Ring Leader this build can solo most of the fights without problems

Edited by mant2si
  • Like 1

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

With Ring Leader you can probably solo most of the game with any class (not only with fighter or paladin) and you don't need either soul annihilation or WotEP for that. While the active parry is still nice and can be a source of free dmg/focus, you can obtain the same results by using weapons with better dps. Also at high level SA is much less effcient than Disintegration.  

Edited by Kaylon

With Ring Leader you can probably solo most of the game with any class (not only with fighter or paladin) and you don't need either soul annihilation or WotEP for that. While the active parry is still nice and can be a source of free dmg/focus, you can obtain the same results by using weapons with better dps. Also at high level SA is much less effcient than Disintegration.  

I mean really tough fights, maybe Queen, with a lot of healer guys

> Also at high level SA is much less effcient than Disintegration

Currently Disintegration is bugged and with graze you get higher DPS than with hit, but most of the game enemies has very high constitution, and if Obsidian make opposite effect with graze. then you will do more damage with sword

Also if you like spamming Disintegration you should pick class with additional PL

> same results by using weapons with better dps

It is not 100% true, I already tested this build with improved Firebrand, and while Firebrand give you additional +25% lash, when you fight at least 3 enemies WotEP has better average DPS

Paladin doesn't have armored grace.  

I written in my post that I changed class from Paladin to Fighter in my build version

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

I do still like the WotEP sword, but I've found myself swapping mid-fight to an alternative two hander.  It's great upfront - I get a lot of offensive parry procs, I can usually line up 2+ enemies, and it feels strong.  

But once you get down to a small handful of enemies, it seems worthwhile to swap to an alternative two-hander.  I haven't quite nailed which one.  I have never tried Willbreaker, so time to invade Crookspur and give it a shot, I guess.

Overall the build itself - Paladin / Cipher feels very strong.  

It’s good if you can swap weapons efficiently, otherswise I don’t wanna use it. Swap weapon = you will do nothing for 2 sec.

A blackjack or even normal fighter can have great potential to use WotEP because u can swap weapon depends on enemy u meet. Horde? Swap to WotEP, single tough boss? Swap to dual wielding.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So an update? ;)

Also, I've never seen Bracers of Deflection in any of my playthroughs.

Happily, there is now a place you can reliably buy them: one of the merchants in the crucible (in the SSS DLC) sells them.

Ah, excellent. I haven't done the SSS DLC yet. Can you go into the area, just buy stuff, and back out?

So an update? ;)

Also, I've never seen Bracers of Deflection in any of my playthroughs.

Happily, there is now a place you can reliably buy them: one of the merchants in the crucible (in the SSS DLC) sells them.

Ah, excellent. I haven't done the SSS DLC yet. Can you go into the area, just buy stuff, and back out?

Well, there is one tough-ish fight (which you can avoid with the right mix of skills/backgrounds/reputations), and a follow up skill/attribute challenge to get into the crucible itself. But those are the only obstacles.

• Like 1