CPU usage and temperature

Continuity

Question

So, the game seems to be incredibly taxing on the CPU to the point that I get temperatures up to 90C. This doesn't happen in any other game and my PC should be well within the recommended settings. Granted, I'm playing on a laptop but this is just extreme. I've tried fiddling with the settings but only with minor improvements. Anyone with similar experiences and any idea what to do?

• Like 1

No one is saying that Deadfire is frying systems left and right, but it does tax the CPU way more than it probably should have.

Tax too much, or just uses CPU? There is a difference. If it simply gets your CPU to high percentages without overloading your system then there's nothing wrong with the programming. There's nothing wrong with a CPU that gets used to full effectiveness. It's what it was made to do.

Just now, as I was ambushed by the enemy fleet on my way to Ukaizo, the CPU usage spiked and the fan went nuts during the 'text adventure' section when there was literally nothing going on  (and I have to stress this again - I have never heard my CPU fan so goddamn loud no matter what game I play). So yes, the game taxes the CPU too much since there's no way a static image and some text that popped up after the enemy boarded me should push the fan to the limit).

If a maxed out Novigrad during a heavy storm and dozens of NPCs milling around in and out of buildings (that don't require any loading) taxes the CPU less than staring at a couple of low-poly models in Deadfire (with everything set to low at 720p - I tested it to see whether there'd be any changes), then the problem is with the game. Honestly, I'm no longer interested in the excuses some of you guys are peddling.

Fan turns on because it needs to cool not because your CPU is busy. This could simply mean your pc is not cooling properly. Of course it could mean multiple things, but seeing as I do not have your issue I do tend to lean towards a simple cooling issue.

Debate points and not people.  Also if you're tempted to tell another poster to stop posting, don't.  If the posts violates a forum rule report it, otherwise people are entitled to their opinion and have no issue posting it here regardless of how wrong you may think that opinion is.  Or how wrong it actually is, since those two don't always overlap the way one thinks.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

For what it's worth, I've measured all of my CPU cores and my GPU for like 10 hours playing Deadfire, on all sorts of maps in-game. Here are the averages and the spikes:

-CPU 1 to 4: 37-45 degrees Celsius in average, worst spike in one CPU core 54 degrees

-GPU: 40-47 in average, worst spike 56 degrees at one time.

Nvidia+Intel, like 3 yrs old PC.

EDIT: High settings on everything.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

For what it's worth, I've measured all of my CPU cores and my GPU for like 10 hours playing Deadfire, on all sorts of maps in-game. Here are the averages and the spikes:

-CPU 1 to 4: 37-45 degrees Celsius in average, worst spike in one CPU core 54 degrees

-GPU: 40-47 in average, worst spike 56 degrees at one time.

Nvidia+Intel, like 3 yrs old PC.

EDIT: High settings on everything.

I guess it also depends on where you live. It's pretty hot here and my CPU is idling at about 32 degrees. Could you get into a big fight by boarding a junk or a galleon and check your temps then?

I did board boats thrice in that period of time - without any weird spiking noted by my MSI afterburner. And I had 28-30 degrees Celsius days here, so hot? You bet!

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I did board boats thrice in that period of time - without any weird spiking noted by my MSI afterburner. And I had 28-30 degrees Celsius days here, so hot? You bet!

Liquid cooling? There's no way you're achieving those temps with a stock fan.

• Like 1

Debate points and not people.  Also if you're tempted to tell another poster to stop posting, don't.  If the posts violates a forum rule report it, otherwise people are entitled to their opinion and have no issue posting it here regardless of how wrong you may think that opinion is.  Or how wrong it actually is, since those two don't always overlap the way one thinks.

sorry, but someone spouting misinformation out of ignorance can actually CAUSE DAMAGE.  I've seen it happen.  it's not just a matter of opinion like "I like vanilla and you like chocolate"

moderation that allows misinformation to continue is bad moderation.

that latter is an opinion, the former is fact.

But of course! I haven't gone without liquid cooling since 2010, I reckon. You have to keep your bits cool.

• Like 1

I think you guys need better cooling. My i5 only gets to about 50C, and that's on all high settings.

Stop saying to laptop users to change cooling. First of if you tamper with CPU on laptop you might loose warrantry. Second of all this game runs even warmer then POE1.

I have played Battlefield games like BF3 (amazing graphics for so old game) and BF4 free demo, Farcry Primal the list goes on and I have problem with this game.

Granted I have not run anything super demanding game but this has to do that my laptop is performance/budget computer it has Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB DDR5 and have not tried the most demanding games out there.

Acer Aspire VX5-591G 15.6" GAMING LAPTOP (black)

15.6 inch screen easy to carry into airplane even if you move to another country.

CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ

That is Kaby Lake newest of Intel consumer market CPUS.

This particular Kaby Lake is 4 cores and 3,5GHz in TURBO MODE.

Graphic card: Nvidia GTX 1050Ti, 4 GB DDR5

Source:

http://www.pcworld.c...ns.html?page=10

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti review: The new budget gaming champions

www.pcworld.com

Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti are the best graphics cards for budget gamers and people looking to upgrade a prebuilt "big box" PC.

"

Bottom line

Nvidia truly knocked it out of the park with the GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti. Not only are these graphics cards a worthy successor (and worthwhile upgrade) for the legendary GTX 750 Ti, Nvidia’s cards are notably cooler, notably more power-efficient, and notably more powerful than AMD’s Radeon RX 460. "

Memory: 8 GB DDR4 RAM

1 TB HDD

What no SSD? Does not affect gaming, but Windows boots/starts slower.

Operating system: Windows 10. I do have separately a 24 inch gaming monitor with 1 ms response time and Flicker-free , TUV Low Blue Light technology. Please note that I live in Finland Europe.  Therefore any price questions are a bit flawed since I bought it with euro currency and most of you live in America and use dollars.

This is my performance/price gaming laptop:

Acer Aspire VX5-591G 15.6" GAMING LAPTOP (black)

15.6 inch screen easy to carry into airplane even if you move to another country.

CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ

That is Kaby Lake newest of Intel consumer market CPUS.

This particular Kaby Lake is 4 cores and 3,5GHz in TURBO MODE.

Graphic card: Nvidia GTX 1050Ti, 4 GB DDR5

Source:

http://www.pcworld.c...ns.html?page=10

www.pcworld.com

Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti are the best graphics cards for budget gamers and people looking to upgrade a prebuilt "big box" PC.

"

Bottom line

Nvidia truly knocked it out of the park with the GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti. Not only are these graphics cards a worthy successor (and worthwhile upgrade) for the legendary GTX 750 Ti, Nvidia’s cards are notably cooler, notably more power-efficient, and notably more powerful than AMD’s Radeon RX 460. "

Memory: 8 GB DDR4 RAM

1 TB HDD

What no SSD? Does not affect gaming, but Windows boots/starts slower.

Operating system: Windows 10. I do have separately a 24 inch gaming monitor with 1 ms response time and Flicker-free , TUV Low Blue Light technology. Please note that I live in Finland Europe.  Therefore any price questions are a bit flawed since I bought it with euro currency and most of you live in America and use dollars.

Edited by Terminator

I must add that I play it on my laptop as well, with no liquid cooling, but it's a newish one from last fall, with dedicated Nvidia graphics, and without liquid cooling, and I must admit, it does run pretty hot and it happens regularly.

Regarding my PC, all my cores are used or more less evenly, but on my laptop, one core takes the brunt. Maybe that's it, for those getting bad overheating? 

sorry, but someone spouting misinformation out of ignorance can actually CAUSE DAMAGE.  I've seen it happen.  it's not just a matter of opinion like "I like vanilla and you like chocolate"

moderation that allows misinformation to continue is bad moderation.

that latter is an opinion, the former is fact.

It is possible to counter misinformation with facts and to do so without calling other users idiots.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That’s curious. I did notice, that my graphic card doesn’t work too hard. By default Deadfire even switched to my integrated card. Usually when I run a game card gets heated and fans go crazy. Not so much with Deadfire. Playing through Tyranny, and graphic card seems to work much harder. If the main stress is indeed on CPU that would explain that behaviour and explain why Deadfire has such issues with running well on my laptop.

Naturally, any further optimisation would be greatly appreciated if possible. (I don’t know how computers and programming works)

That’s curious. I did notice, that my graphic card doesn’t work too hard. By default Deadfire even switched to my integrated card. Usually when I run a game card gets heated and fans go crazy. Not so much with Deadfire. Playing through Tyranny, and graphic card seems to work much harder. If the main stress is indeed on CPU that would explain that behaviour and explain why Deadfire has such issues with running well on my laptop.

Naturally, any further optimisation would be greatly appreciated if possible. (I don’t know how computers and programming works)

I got an eGPU with a 1050ti to use for my, um, uh,  cad work (cough, Deadfire, cough). I read that a smaller power supply was fine than the max suggested most of the time. Maybe that is true. It was shutting down after about 5 minutes fairly regularly no matter how much I tuned back the graphics. Obviously I needed the suggested power supply. And my laptop does not go all jet engine on me any more when I play, either.

Take that for what it's worth (which if it doesn't describe your system, its not worth much). Everybody's system behaves differently, no doubt.

Joe

I have similar heat measured in my case with just normal fans. The case is optimized for airflow and has good fans as well. Try to clean it about every year so the dust doesn't hamper the fans too much. Really happy with it. Some pieces of hardware don't seem to have some safety measures in place when it comes to poorly written software. The game Battletech I mentioned before was really hard on your system. 100% GPU 24/7 and big heat spikes. GPU got to about 75 degrees celsius which is actually acceptable, but when comparing to other games it is really high. Game also got laggy when there was really no cause for it. Some people had their GPU fried. It's best to keep track of heat build up in your system. There's so many setups and types of systems and they may handle games and heat differently.

I got an eGPU with a 1050ti to use for my, um, uh,  cad work (cough, Deadfire, cough). I read that a smaller power supply was fine than the max suggested most of the time. Maybe that is true. It was shutting down after about 5 minutes fairly regularly no matter how much I tuned back the graphics. Obviously I needed the suggested power supply. And my laptop does not go all jet engine on me any more when I play, either.

Take that for what it's worth (which if it doesn't describe your system, its not worth much). Everybody's system behaves differently, no doubt.

Joe

Could it be that your power supply was getting the battery really hot? Some do that and that doesn't really work well when you're gaming and are continuously connected to the powernet. Edited by AeonsLegend

Joe

Could it be that your power supply was getting the battery really hot? Some do that and that doesn't really work well when you're gaming and are continuously connected to the powernet.

That's possible. I didn't do a ton of trouble shooting and no deep dive kind of things. I just went with the first possible solution after reading about others who experienced a similar issue and solved it with a larger power supply for the 1050ti in an external box. It seems to have solved the problem. It is connected via Thunderbolt 2. I don't know how much power it may be pulling from the laptop through that.

Joe

Edited by JFutral