Everything posted by Hurlshort
-
Random/Interesting/Weird
There is some pushback against homework nowadays, but there are still a fair amount of teachers that rely on it heavily. We have plenty of evidence and studies that show it isn't a great tool, but the tradition stands. Oddly enough, gym class has become more academic since the days of Grommie pummeling his classmates in dodgeball. 😉 I'm not anti-homework, but I find that it is too often just busywork. As a parent I'm also very aware that these kids have little time during the week to get homework done. My daughter is often up after we've gone to bed finishing French homework. I'd rather her get to bed.
-
The TV and Streaming Thread: Pilot Week
Wesley Snipes could use the money and still looks fit, so I'm bummed he isn't still in the MCU in some fashion.
- ranDom vIdeO game news
-
The TV and Streaming Thread: Where is Ricky Gervais when you need him???
Except Reno 911. That is a documentary.
-
More Hardwood + Round Holes = Lots of Scoring in Basketball 2K19
As an NHL fan, it always amazes me how rare upsets are in the NBA. If Memphis wins tonight it means all 8 matchups ended with the higher ranked team advancing. I know it will get a bit trickier in the 2nd round, but it still is crazy to me how predictable it is. I'm enjoying watching the Warriors. It was crazy how they tried to handle Jokic. He is just such a massive force out there, he'd be surrounded by 3 guys and still slowly push his way to the rim and just float it in. He played great in the last few games, but the Warriors kept the tempo up and wore them down. That will be a lot harder to do against Memphis, who are big and can match the speed of the Dubs.
-
More Hardwood + Round Holes = Lots of Scoring in Basketball 2K19
Someone dislikes Chef Curry? Is that you, Charles Barkley?
-
What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life
I have a pretty sizeable spider living near my outdoor camera light. Every once in awhile the spider will crawl across the camera lens and trigger a terrifying recording. I also have a bird that seems to delight in setting off the motion sensor.
-
The All Things Political Topic - Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one
I remember the picture and there was a very negative reaction to it internationally. The US military condemned the picture and said there would be an investigation. I have no idea what came of that, but pointing to a disgraceful moment for the US military doesn't excuse what Russia is doing.
-
What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life
Are you sponsored by Lounge Life?
-
The All Things Political Topic - Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one
I'm not sure how that applies to anyone transitioning, though. I'd hesitate to change physical requirements if they are deemed necessary for combat efficiency. Of course, if a woman can meet the requirements, or someone transitioning, then why does the biology even matter? I'm sure there are still plenty of men that can't meet the requirements either. Actually what I'd like to see if more requirements that clearly favor the female biology. Sure, the beefy guy can lift a bunch of stuff, but can he push through labor pains for 12 hours? edit: More serious example - Is speed more important than endurance? My wife is not going to beat my time in a triathlon, but she is going to outlast me on a course. Do these tests accurately assess the importance of that?
-
The All Things Political Topic - Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one
I'm just not sure where this becomes an issue. Is it bathroom usage? Sports? Where does it really matter to you or I how someone identifies themself? The biology would seem to be a non-issue for the vast majority of people, and yet it has become this huge point of debate.
-
Ukraine Conflict - Alle Dinge unterliegen Interpretation je nachdem, was Interpretation zu einem bestimmten Zeitpunkt herrscht, ist eine Funktion der Macht und nicht die Wahrheit
I guess if we want a modern war comparison, 4,431 US soldiers were killed in Iraq.
-
The All Things Political Topic - Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one
Huh, the example looks more like a late high school/college problem, but I am not keyed into math curriculum.
-
The All Things Political Topic - Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one
I'm curious how large those ethnic studies classes were, as well. Having smaller class sizes is such a massive difference in how I am ale to teach. My smallest class has 27 kids and my largest is 34, and there is a world of difference between the two.
-
The All Things Political Topic - Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one
Ah, if only basic math was exciting enough to engage 8-year old kids by the numbers alone. I'm going to address the last statement "We are lagging behind much of the rest of the world" first. That is tied completely to economics and poverty. It isn't the textbooks. It isn't the teachers. It isn't the curriculum. Poor states have poor test scores. States that don't spend money on students don't see growth. It is a cycle of inequity. This is, of course, a simplification, because poverty can change drastically, county to county, district to district, and school to school. Now back to the SEL, or CRT, or whatever buzzword you want to give to teaching to the whole child and not just their number-sense. It's important. They are kids. A few will probably be really into the numbers and will thrive no matter what, but most are going to need incentive. They are going to need to be engaged. Representation is important. Girls Who Code is a great example of that. Ok, I'm on Spring Break, so I'm out of energy to talk about education.
-
What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life
I am pretty sure that is just called common sense. Who wants to be in a large crowd?
- ranDom vIdeO game news
-
Random/Interesting/Weird
Test taking is a skill that can be developed through practice. The student has learned the content, now how do they demonstrate that knowledge? Of course, it is just one way to demonstrate it and I dislike how much weight we give it.
-
Coronavirus 666: This is one sick thread!!!
Whelp, after two years of successful dodge rolls, I finally got the rona. My whole family had it a few months back, so hopefully they are safe from me spreading it. I picked it up at school or hockey, I guess. So far it is just a bad head cold with some chills. Bleh.
-
Hit Hard, Run Fast, Turn Left. The 2022 Baseball Thread
I'd pin that solely on Roberts.
-
The All Things Political Topic - Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one
Uh oh, now he is going to buy the Obsidian forums.
-
Hit Hard, Run Fast, Turn Left. The 2022 Baseball Thread
Alyssa Nakken makes history! https://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2022/4/12/23023181/mlb-news-san-francisco-giants-alyssa-nakken
-
What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life
I have my first cold since before the pandemic and it suuuuuuuuuucks.
-
Obituary thread
Ah man. His special Gilbert from a few years ago was really well done. I feel bad for his family.
-
Ukraine Conflict - Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine tätige Unwissenheit
I don't see it as a problem to respond to each question in a separate post. That is easy to read.