I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite thread on Obsidian

Gorth

Well if they do decide to go with a movie based around Shephard... they might just go with a fem-shep.. Who knows, it could end up with Milla Jovovich starring in one more game adaption... :ermm:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

And she could be illegally modified with an experimental bone weave implant and be super powerful, and she'd be cutting up husks who are assaulting the lone surviving settlement on a periphery world.

Oh wait..

Take the Wing Commander film. (please, take it...) But seriously, that wasn't as bad as it gets a rep for... Sure it wasn't as comparable to the games... and really, after the push of the last couple of WC games with the full motion video and the various actors they had starring.. going for a film route didn't quite click the same chemistry.

(And there were some quite entertaining "bloopers" from the WC games floating around the web if you can find them).

It's the question of how to take something that's been pushed more as an "interactive movie experience game" and then turn it into a strictly standard sci-fi movie...

Heh... After directing Wing Commander movie, Chris Roberts has worked as producer. How about "gems" like Who's Your Caddy? with amazing 1,7 / 10 in IMDB. Or Outlander... "epic" alien vs. highlander blockbuster! (estimated 50 million dollar budget and it only made about 200k in US). Even good cast don't seem to help him as even better scored (6-7) movies are complitely forgotable or box office bombs.

Wing Commander games (and privateer) were great, despite the horrible FMV. Maybe it's good that Chris Roberts left the game biz. He certainly haven't improved a bit in the movie biz. It's like he's still stuck in storytelling that was acceptable in 90's action computer games.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Take the Wing Commander film. (please, take it...) But seriously, that wasn't as bad as it gets a rep for... Sure it wasn't as comparable to the games... and really, after the push of the last couple of WC games with the full motion video and the various actors they had starring.. going for a film route didn't quite click the same chemistry.

Lulz. Freddie Prinze Jr was the worst choice for Christopher Blair ever. Other than that, the movie was okay.

But admittedly, if there'd ever be a KOTOR or DA movie made (*vehemently knocks wood*), this dude would be perfect as Carth/Alistair.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

But seriously, it's all mostly valid complaints if a little nitpicky, and I have to admit it sort of ruined the game for me.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

But seriously, it's all mostly valid complaints if a little nitpicky, and I have to admit it sort of ruined the game for me.

Uh... that guy spent an entire hour just ranting about how bad the plot is. I guess this could be the sixth one in the "5 Reasons It's Still Not Cool to Admit You're a Gamer".

TL;DW

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

There were valid points in there.. but there seemed an awful lot of bollocks where he's taken the (what seems to me) wrong view of how something was presented.. or hell, even gotten something out and out false.

It almost seemed as if he'd sat down and worked out precisely how to take everything the wrong way to meet his expectations...

I've not watched that video yes, but ME2's plot *does* suck a lot and I have a nagging suspicion the game will feel completely useless and unnecessary when viewed in light of the entire trilogy as far as the story goes. The great things in ME2 all had to do with the companions and their quests (which were perhaps Bioware's best). But the main story was terrible. For all the talk of how ME was planned to be a trilogy from the start, it really felt like they had no idea where to take the story in the second part.

But yep, still a good game though.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I've not watched that video yes, but ME2's plot *does* suck a lot and I have a nagging suspicion the game will feel completely useless and unnecessary when viewed in light of the entire trilogy as far as the story goes. The great things in ME2 all had to do with the companions and their quests (which were perhaps Bioware's best). But the main story was terrible. For all the talk of how ME was planned to be a trilogy from the start, it really felt like they had no idea where to take the story in the second part.

Bad second acts are something of a fact of life for (planned) trilogies.

So he's saying that ME2 has a crap plot, unlike that pinnacle of gaming storytelling that is ME1? Stopped listening.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The companions weren't that great. Too many of them with daddy issues.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I now have pure hatred for Shepard. It's not because of that review either, I just think the character is a total moron and will never, ever, say something smart or clever. Makes me wish I could play as Garrus instead.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Bad second acts are something of a fact of life for (planned) trilogies.

Star Wars' second act was pretty much the best second act ever.

EVEEER!!!!111ONE!11!

Did he call out Ace Pilot Joker "swinging" the Normandy out of the way of a laser and then swinging it right back?

Or am I still the only one who noticed how ridiculous that was?

Hey, somebody has to put the Fi in Sci-Fi :ermm:

I imagined ME2 more as Comic Book material than movie material though. In some ways ME2 was like Kotor2, it was the journey that was interesting, not the destination.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Did he call out Ace Pilot Joker "swinging" the Normandy out of the way of a laser and then swinging it right back?

Or am I still the only one who noticed how ridiculous that was?

Hey, somebody has to put the Fi in Sci-Fi :thumbsup:

I imagined ME2 more as Comic Book material than movie material though. In some ways ME2 was like Kotor2, it was journey that was interesting, not the destination.

I found the destination in KOTOR2 interesting but badly cut.

Oh wait... :ermm:

It all depends on your approach and what you happen to be looking for.

ME2 has some plot holes, and some issues... but it's seriously space opera over the top... That's always a a part of it. You can have a lot of fun with space opera without needing to take it too seriously. It's not hard sci-fi. It's not meant to be hard sci-fi.

The plot does seem more of an excuse to throw in the death/revival of Shephard, and then give a reason for going around and picking up the companions... Sure a lot of the companions have "daddy issues" in one form or another, but there's a lot of good content in there.

• 3 weeks later...