Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Backer Beta Patch Coming Soon

backer beta patch pathfinding AI class save

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

Siomir

Siomir

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer

Nice one, was some really weird bugs going on there, made it impossible for me to continue my save infact, im aware it's beta, so i just played until i could'nt because of the bug, reported it and I'll just wait until it's fixed.I have an immense respect for Black Isle/obsidian, keep up the good work! You are making this old baldurs gate fan excited with this game!

The Mist Devil

The Mist Devil

Janus's Red Priest of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Great! I'll finaly be able to finish a quest!

• IndiraLightfoot likes this

ctn2003

ctn2003

Lord Gil Wood of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

I hopo this game doset suck

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Im guessing when patch comes out we shouldnt continue our saves but start new ones?

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Given that the current saves tend to be broken in various ghastly ways, yes, I think that's a safe guess.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It can't come soon enough! Any updated info on when the patch may drop?

philby

philby

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

nice one, I'll be honest and say I haven't played for a week as the bugs and crashes have made it hard to enjoy getting a taste of the game :)

iZerw

iZerw

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

We know you have a new build. Just push it to Steam!

Genadine

Genadine

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Though I am not in Beta, I have tested for other games in the past and I always find the most satisfying and also infuriating thing is Developer feedback.

When it happens it moves the game forward, they can ask for areas to be tested and people will test those areas and provide specific feedback and everyone wins.

When devs are silent you end up feeling why bother my input isn't wanted so you stop and the game suffers.

So much Kudos to Devs responding may it continue up to and more importantly beyond launch :yes:

Sekrin

Sekrin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Thanks for the news. Will there be elaborate patch notes?

Writing elaborate patch notes takes quite a bit of time that can be spent else where actually fixing issues.  I don't think we need them at this point in development.  

I'd say that this depends on what you mean by "elaborate" patch notes. There should be some patch notes, even it's just a list of all the bugs that've been fixed and all of the changes that have been made as this is hugely helpful for testers (as I can attest from my day job!). One of the devs on here has already mentioned that they're using a bug tracker and most (if not all of those) are capable of a report showing what's been resolved in a particular period so I wouldn't be surprised if that's basically what we'll get...

BAdler

BAdler

Lead Designer

• Developers+
  • -9930 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

thanks for your update, i would be veeeery pleased to know when we can assume the first beta release for OS X and linux?

And thanks for your hard work till now :D

We are still working on them. There are a few strange issues, but we are hoping that they will be up for the update after this one.

• Cluas, gnoemli and PrimeHydra like this

BAdler

BAdler

Lead Designer

• Developers+
  • -9930 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It won't be extremely elaborate, but we will try to list out the major fixes that we targeted and what are some of the big issues that we are still working on.

• Cluas and PrimeHydra like this

BAdler

BAdler

Lead Designer

• Developers+
  • -9930 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hopefully the save/load fixes will also fix the game breaking dissapearing items and quest bugs... also the bug which causes some chars to get stuck after almost every battle until reload would be really nice to get fixed asap.

With those fixed, the beta might actually be playable enough to get more useful/reliable feedback from the testers.

They should be fixed. There is still an issue where secondary weapons in secondary weapon sets are disappearing, but it is proving a difficult fix. On the whole, though, save and load will be in a much better state.

Also, this patch will have our new pathfinding code which should help make combat a little more enjoyable/playable.

• Cluas and PrimeHydra like this

BAdler

BAdler

Lead Designer

• Developers+
  • -9930 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Im guessing when patch comes out we shouldnt continue our saves but start new ones?

I would start fresh ones. It is almost always a good practice to dump old saves while the game is still in development. Old data can cause strange bugs when you play,

• Cluas likes this

Marceror

Marceror

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1339 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It won't be extremely elaborate, but we will try to list out the major fixes that we targeted and what are some of the big issues that we are still working on.

No rush on this. I started a new run through of Planescape Torment over the weekend, and am enjoying it immensely (with some key mods installed, of course).

I should be tied up with this for a while, so feel free to make that update as close to perfect as you can manage!

Strongly recommend that folks go back and enjoy an IE run through during the wait time!

Edited by Marceror, 02 September 2014 - 06:21 PM.

• Cluas likes this

BAdler

BAdler

Lead Designer

• Developers+
  • -9930 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It can't come soon enough! Any updated info on when the patch may drop?

We are looking to release it tomorrow. We have a build that looks like a good candidate (but main menu music stopped working). We are going to do a few fixes tonight and we will either push out tomorrow's build or, if tomorrow's build has problems, we will push out tonight's build.

• Uomoz, IndiraLightfoot and Cluas like this

BAdler

BAdler

Lead Designer

• Developers+
  • -9930 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

We know you have a new build. Just push it to Steam!

Just because we have a newer build doesn't mean we can push it to Steam. We need to make sure some of the targeted fixes make it into the build for you guys.

• Cluas likes this

BAdler

BAdler

Lead Designer

• Developers+
  • -9930 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Though I am not in Beta, I have tested for other games in the past and I always find the most satisfying and also infuriating thing is Developer feedback.

When it happens it moves the game forward, they can ask for areas to be tested and people will test those areas and provide specific feedback and everyone wins.

When devs are silent you end up feeling why bother my input isn't wanted so you stop and the game suffers.

So much Kudos to Devs responding may it continue up to and more importantly beyond launch :yes:

We wish we could respond even more than we do. Unfortunately we are a small team and every body we have is needed for closing out the project. That said, we will try our best to listen and respond when we can.

• Cluas likes this

BAdler

BAdler

Lead Designer

• Developers+
  • -9930 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Writing elaborate patch notes takes quite a bit of time that can be spent else where actually fixing issues.  I don't think we need them at this point in development.  

I'd say that this depends on what you mean by "elaborate" patch notes. There should be some patch notes, even it's just a list of all the bugs that've been fixed and all of the changes that have been made as this is hugely helpful for testers (as I can attest from my day job!). One of the devs on here has already mentioned that they're using a bug tracker and most (if not all of those) are capable of a report showing what's been resolved in a particular period so I wouldn't be surprised if that's basically what we'll get...

It isn't exactly that easy, but we will send out notes that list some of the major fixes and some of the stuff we are still working on.

• Cluas likes this

BAdler

BAdler

Lead Designer

• Developers+
  • -9930 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

No rush on this. I started a new run through of Planescape Torment over the weekend, and am enjoying it immensely (with some key mods installed, of course).

I should be tied up with this for a while, so feel free to make that update as close to perfect as you can manage!

Strongly recommend that folks go back and enjoy an IE run through during the wait time!

We would like to keep the patch releases fairly consistent. Every week or two, at least. We might even discuss putting out more frequent patches after the first few.

• Cluas and swordofthesith like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: backer beta, patch, pathfinding, AI, class, save

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users