Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #61: In-game Art

Rob Nesler Concept Art Environment Art Chris Avellone Arcanum Jobs Project Eternity

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

BAdler

BAdler

Producer

• Developers+
  • 338 posts

Update by Rob Nesler, Art Director and Brandon Adler, Producer

We showed you this concept that Polina Hristova had developed, back in Update #55:

pe-dungeon-concept.580.jpg

And here is the in-game level--about to get violent--as developed by environment artist Sean Dunny:

pe-temple-skaen.580.jpg

We think it looks pretty good. Thoughts?
-R

Arcanum Playthrough

This week, we have the second part of Avellone's two hour playthrough. Chris explores the Shrouded Hills Mines and dies to bandits along the road... multiple times.

Obsidian Jobs

Obsidian is putting the call out to enthusiastic game developers who are interested in working on Project Eternity. To be eligible, you must be in the Southern California area willing to make the daily trek to Irvine, California. If you or anyone you know fits the description and would be interested in joining the Project Eternity team, follow the links below.

QA Lead

The Lead QA Tester position requires managing a team of testers, delegating testing tasks, tracking tester performance, providing guidance as well as coordinating with department leads and owners to ensure all aspects of the project are bug free. The Lead QA Tester position requires a strong knowledge of QA methodologies and practices, as well as an ability to handle and act upon high volumes of information and responsibilities.

Contract VFX Artist

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a talented self-motivated VFX Artist to create a range of 3D effects and animations for a 3D world.

This artist will be responsible for creating both ambient effects (such as smoke, fire, and lightning) and more detailed prop animation (a tree limb breaking, a glass shattering, etc.). These effects will be created using Maya, but experience with comparable programs is acceptable.

Stop by our forums and let us know what you think. See you in a couple of weeks.

• Amentep, nikolokolus, Rostere and 17 others like this

Tsuga C

Tsuga C

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 629 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You're staying quite true to the concept art--bravo!

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1992 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Looks positively stonking! Especially liking the parties varied armour and the antagonists Hotline Miami-esque masks. One has the feeling that room is going to be rather frustrating to broach.

Jarrakul

Jarrakul

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's so pretty...

LorcanWard

LorcanWard

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Love it!!!! I almost want to drag and select the party to attack.

• Lysen likes this

SoshiGEE

SoshiGEE

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
I'm surprised that you could make that amazing concept art look even better in-game!
  • IndiraLightfoot likes this

centurionofprix

centurionofprix

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 129 posts

How will the shadows/lighting work in the final product? The environment is gorgeous, but the conflict between the apparent lighting of the scene and the way the character models are illuminated makes the latter seem out of place.

Edited by centurionofprix, 06 August 2013 - 03:07 PM.

• lolaldanee, AwesomeOcelot, Wasabi and 5 others like this

Tuckey

Tuckey

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Steam:Rumar
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Those character models are much improved from the ones shown in update 49; they fit into the environment much better.

• nikolokolus, IndiraLightfoot, Hormalakh and 2 others like this

xsikal

xsikal

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Looks amazing! My only (minor) concern is that the individuals inside the room are visible, even though the party is outside of the room, with the door closed. I'm guessing that fog of war/mob detection is not in yet? :)

• nikolokolus and Sonntam like this

Stiffkittin

Stiffkittin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Silver Backer

Very impressive how closely you were able to re-create the original concept. The quality and variety of textures, particularly floor textures is outstanding. Very promising!

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4083 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Pretty :)

So, Brendan. What 'highly stilyzed' 3D world are you talkin' about there. Have we heard of that project before?

Malekith

Malekith

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • Backer

:wub:

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Me gusta mucho... Seriously, looks great. It is obvious that the adventure party has raided this specific dungeon because they all want sweet masks for either Mardi Gras or a masquerade... ;)

On a separate note, I would really like these Avellone updates in text. I don't care about watching him play for an hour, I just want to know what he thought of that hour of play, like, "Liked how I had 3 options for how I would do __", "Thought this was poorly implemented, but would do this __", etc. I don't care that he is playing it, I want to know his opinion of it as a game designer and what things he would like to see in Project Eternity...

• Malekith likes this

milczyciel

milczyciel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Silver Backer

Yeah... umm... <sigh> I hate to do this, but you've asked us, so here I go:

You've stayed very true to the concept art, and that I love. Still, in my probably not so humble opinion, the final in-game render is somehow lacking in the shadows department. It seems all tad to bright, and that takes a bit of mystery from that particular scene. 

Plus this, pretty much:

How will the shadows/lighting work in the final product? The environment is gorgeous, but the conflict between the apparent lighting of the scene and the way the character models are illuminated makes the latter seem out of place.

...yeah, they stick out.

sorry :(

• dodusieczek and Sonntam like this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6086 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I like how the character models blend into the background. Some obvious Mind Flayer influence there. Will post a more 'critical' response later while I'm not at work, but overall *thumbsup*.
  • nikolokolus and Malekith like this

Malekith

Malekith

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • Backer

Is it painted over to the full extent it will be? I mean, is it the final version or when the game ships it will look even better?

As for lighting, i agree it looks a little too bright, but that is easily fixed (i hope)

Rostere

Rostere

Illuminatus of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • Backer

Chris Avellone should do more "Let's Play"s of different games. Why don't you start a kickstarter for him to simply do LPs of more games :)

On a more serious note, you should consider the size of the stones in the paved sections of the dungeon. They appear just a bit too large to have been part of an effective construction effort. That is also one huge-ass door.

Edited by Rostere, 06 August 2013 - 03:43 PM.

BAdler

BAdler

Producer

• Developers+
  • 338 posts

Pretty :)

So, Brendan. What 'highly stilyzed' 3D world are you talkin' about there. Have we heard of that project before?

That is one of our old entries that has been repurposed.  :biggrin:

I'll make sure that gets changed out. Thanks,

KaineParker

KaineParker

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1994 posts
  • Silver Backer
I feel so teased by this awesomeness.

JWestfall

JWestfall

Beer Taster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Silver Backer

Love it!!!! I almost want to drag and select the party to attack.

Funny, that is exactly what I did when I first opened the image.  Followed by a momentary pang of frustration at the rubber-band selection not working.  Maybe I need more sleep...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rob Nesler, Concept Art, Environment Art, Chris Avellone, Arcanum, Jobs, Project Eternity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users