Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part IV).

On a more practical note, cloaks can and were wrapped around the offside arm to add defensive options, such as entangling the enemy's sword.

Or so I've been told.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Speaking of armour and clothing designs, one thing that has been niggling at me is how the Aedyr garb looks like it's from a completely different era to the Vailian clothing.

Like hundreds of years difference.

pe-cultures-1200x657.jpg

I wonder if their armour will be similarly archaic in design?

Would it be possible to make Roman/Greek inspired armour seem functional against early-modern period inspired armour without it losing it's aesthetic sensibilities?

Is the Aedyr armour even going to be inspired by those cultures at all?

Don't like Vailian design. Africans have rich and exotic own culture

9339352078_62a6f314b0.jpg

benin_plaque_warriors_nigeria_hi.jpg

4589421439_5dd5b609c0.jpg

African-Warriors-CC-koopmanrob.jpg

4498004879_7bf734d73c.jpg

w-robert-moore-ethiopia-s-veterans-in-tr

g_30266.jpg

Lithographie-berbere-2.jpeg

763px-2_-_La_reine_Tin_Hinan%2C_125x150c

but Vailian design completely ignore own African heritage and replace African civilization by European civilization, they are just colored Europeans.

mtsown.jpg

Edited by obyknven
  • Like 3

but Vailian design completely ignore own African heritage and replace African civilization by European civilization, they are just colored Europeans. 

Yea, I don't think they are at all trying to go with Vaillan = Africa thing.

The culture is totally separated from skin color here, cultures are what they are and people from hot climate have dark skins.

Having said that, very nice example pictures.

Style from Kush and other "black kingdoms" has definitely not been overused in games or... anything.

Berbers and ... heck, I don't even know what the similar blacks were/are called as a group, have been seen but not too much at all.

Southern African style, Zulus and the like, have been seen but can't be used anymore because that'd be seen as racism. Which is a shame.

Berbers and ... heck, I don't even know what the similar blacks were/are called as a group, have been seen but not too much at all.

Southern African style, Zulus and the like, have been seen but can't be used anymore because that'd be seen as racism. Which is a shame.

Why do you think that is? A game based on the the cultures of sub-Saharan Africa could be a fantastic and completely unique experience.

Also obyknven, if I remember correctly the Vailians migrated from their hotter lands of origin to colder areas in the North long ago in the PE setting, thus their warmer garb and different aesthetic style.

Edited by GhoulishVisage
  • Like 1

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I absolutely love Landsknechts. I really hope we see some Landsknecht gear, but I doubt it, I'm afraid.

You never know. 8)

^^ Badass dude on the horse there is definitely balling. Thanks for the wallpaper Karranthain. 

You're welcome, glad you liked it!

Both of those are absolutely fantastic. I particularly love all the detail for the landknecht. I mean, look at his knee-guard, sculpted into a face. Great stuff. 

That they are! Both come from Warhammer Fantasy Battle, a decidedly high fantasy game. The artists obviously researched the Renaissance period arms & armour, but they didn't slavishly copy the source material - instead they came up with something original (and yet quite recognizable). I think it's a very interesting approach, one which reinforces verisimilitude, but still leaves a lot of room for creativity.

Warhammer setting is a nice example of utilising such method, I reckon; it has an instantly recognizable aesthetic - just take a look at this piece, for an instance :

ImperialArmy.jpg

P.S. I do believe that obyknven is trolling, as usual ;)

• Like 2

Yeah, that's a pretty blatant disregard for the fact that 1) this is a fantasy world where the Vailians are more similar to Venetians, and 2) skin-colour =/= culture. 

1. Venetians dressed as French/English people from late XVII century (later Baroque style)... in Renaissance setting. :grin:

2. It's looks like rejecting their right to cultural self-identification. They just must cosplay Europeans... and this is too similar to this slavery heritage

django-jackson.jpg

and to this colonial heritage

Herero-012-300x375.jpg

Actually i not worry about this. Probably it's just marketing decision - game must looks usual for potential buyer (medieval Europeans, Roman Empire, Pirates and Gypsies) , but this make setting less rich and less interesting for me.

News Flash:

Eternity is not set on Earth. It's called fiction for a reason. They aren't Europeans, because NO ONE in the lore "are" Europeans. Sure, lots of the cultures draw from some real life stuff, but they didn't really base entire cultures on entire real world cultures.

You can't say that the Vailians are somehow stripping blacks of their true African Heritage, because, where the Vailians live, there is no Africa or African culture. They never were from Africa, because they don't exist.

If they made a game set on Earth, and/or in which there was an Africa, and an entire African culture, and all the dark-skinned people instead lived in a different culture from that, AND/OR there was also a Europe, and all the dark-skinned people were part of the European culture INSTEAD of the African culture, then you'd have an actual issue here.

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Maybe he's worried that if they have 18th century Enlightenment Africans then the next thing would be 21st century Space Jews, and then he'd feel all weird and conflicted.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Maybe he's worried that if they have 18th century Enlightenment Africans then the next thing would be 21st century Space Jews, and then he'd feel all weird and conflicted.

Wut? Space Jews?

http://youtu.be/ZAZhtT-dUyo

No, i don't worried about that. I wooried about  too homogenus feeling from PE fractions (all of them inspired by Europeans, even "blacks" ). Yet another game about fantasy Europeans looks boring for me.

• Like 1

giles44.JPG

Note the helmet with procupine quills. Saw this in person recently. Very striking.

h2_1979.206.150.jpg

h2_1978.412.362.jpg

And to finish, another Giles Foden helmet.

giles21.JPG

-Elwood Blues

I seriously hope we get more spear / polearm weapons. I love spears but I've rarely seen them in games. Axes, swords, staffs, and daggers are all great but I'd still take a great spear anyday of the week.

• Like 1

I seriously hope we get more spear / polearm weapons. I love spears but I've rarely seen them in games. Axes, swords, staffs, and daggers are all great but I'd still take a great spear anyday of the week.

Good news - pikes are definitely in (they've been mentioned several times now), so I assume that the spears are as well. :)

I'm hoping that we'll see at least some of the weapons out of this set :

4892197390_b1f0257bd8_b.jpg

Hmm.. there was some mention/question/racognition of the problem of multi-function weapons, will you stab or slash or crush with these.

Can you choose between piercing and slashing damage with a sword?

With 3 options to choose from, these would need a solution just for them, which might or might not seem like the thing to do.

If polearms are in, I hope they will be dealt better than in D&D, as a bunch of identical 1d10 weapons to avoid.

Hmm.. there was some mention/question/racognition of the problem of multi-function weapons, will you stab or slash or crush with these.

Can you choose between piercing and slashing damage with a sword?

With 3 options to choose from, these would need a solution just for them, which might or might not seem like the thing to do.

If polearms are in, I hope they will be dealt better than in D&D, as a bunch of identical 1d10 weapons to avoid.

Good point. But I seem to remember that it's been mentioned that some weapons have multiple damage types and basically apply the most optimal one on a target basis (i.e. if you're attacking someone highly resistant to slashing attacks, your weapon will deal piercing damage instead - if it has that capability, of course).

.........Don't like Vailian design. Africans have rich and exotic own culture.....

I agree whole heartedly. It would be awesome if the Vailians drew more inspirations from Africa Prime influences.

african_warriors_2_by_byzantinum.jpg

african_warriors_by_byzantinum.jpg

the_makurian_by_djele-d545qgf.jpg

these are very cool designs, but once again: the vailians are not african, because there is no africa in PE

and they are not "inspired by africans" either.... they merely happen to have black skin

i hope there will be a naginata-like weopon in the game, a cipher wielding a big 2handed polearm, and throwing spears, that's my character if possible