Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Post Your Mobile Devices!

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2502 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I like having the whole world at my fingertips in a device that fits into my pocket and I think it's awesome to be able to look up any random question that pops into my head no matter where I am and never missing a call because I'm not at home. I also enjoy reading a book, watching a movie or playing a game on my phone or tablet while riding the train home or in a waiting room or just generally trying to kill time (I'm looking at you airplanes). It's also just really amazing technology to me and I find it interesting but I am, admittedly, a bit of a nerd

I get the work complaint but that's also why I have 2 phones, if I'm not at work or on call then I don't take my work phone with me... usually. I can be a bit of a workaholic at times (tasty, tasty workahol  :biggrin: )

EDIT: because I'm dropping words left and right

Edited by ShadySands, 12 April 2013 - 07:30 AM.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8713 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Smartphones is where the biggest advances in technology for the common man are happening right now.

Some people don't care much about those tech advances, outside of how it might be used eventually for something more practical/beneficial/interesting than smartphones/tablets. (and outside of must-for-work type stuff) Marketing is what's convinced the "masses" that they need certain things to stay connected with their loved ones/be in the loop, not an actual serious need. No different than children who think they have to have a certain toy because everyone else has it or "it's cool".

Not that I care ... since that's true of most things we all buy and people can do what they want. They are interesting toys, to hear about what they're doing with the tech, with some occasional practical uses...just none for me. I think about buying one those things now and then, but I just have no need so I'd rather save/spend my cash on things that relate to my personal lifestyle more.

Like that 90" home theater system. Screw small and portable. I prefer to go large. :biggrin:

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4515 posts

Some day, somebody is going to have to explain to me (in simple terms) why they bother with all these "mobile devices"... I honestly don't get it. I hate my dumb-phone for intruding on my privacy, making me "accessible" and I just couldn't imagine wanting to spend more time on a 3" display than forced to, even at gunpoint :huh:

Yet people behave like drug addicts on a cold turkey if their precious gadgets go missing for more than an hour.

Wow, you're like so edgy and cool!! I wanna be like you!1!

No, wait, I don't.

Let me guess: you don't use Facebook either and have no problems telling everyone how you don't use Facebook and you can't understand why people would use it.

Smartphones is where the biggest advances in technology for the common man are happening right now.

Problem with facebook is that they have gotten too big and have their tentacles in everything. Even people who hate facebook are forced to use it. I welcome the facebook is not cool anymore trend, it will surely hasten its demise so we can have something else instead... Which then grows too large and invasive.

Remember back when a chat window was the cool way to keep up with your friends. They made versions that integrated all the different protocols and programs. We need something like that for social media. So it's a third party program that integrates all your social media sites into one interface. That way we are not forced to sit up and take notice everytime facebook lets out a fart.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

I really miss the days when everyone used MSN Messenger. I really do.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6412 posts

Updates! My current tablet roster consists of a Nexus 7 2nd Gen and an iPad Air

imageewu1z81kba.jpg

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8471 posts

Oh, and I ditched my Motorola Defy back in May and bought this:

2a-3.jpg

Xiaomi MI2S. Same size as iPhone 5, but with a Snapdragon 600 (4 cores, 1,7 GHz), Krait 320 GPU, 2 GB RAM, 1280x720 IPS screen, 8MP superfast camera with 28mm, 2.0F wide-angle (records movies with 90 fps in 1280x720) and an interface based on Android 4.1.2 called MIUI. It's really excellent. Huuuge leap forward over my smelly Defy.

It cost me $400, imported directly from China. Amazing value. It's actually faster than Galaxy S4 and HTC One in tests (they have the same innards), but mainly because of the smaller screen. Still!

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7001 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
How is the quality of the phone calls ?

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8471 posts

If I hold it normally, normal. If I pinch it between my head and my shoulder: lousy. Same if I try to talk in it while lying in my bed while resting it on my pillow. I think it has something to do with the noise cancellation. It uses two mics to reduce noise and somehow I manage to cover one of them (never found the other one).

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3855 posts

I'd love to have a smartphone with a decent screen for internet browsing, reading and mp3. would really help those boring lectures go faster. but these things are so expensive, and in my town there aren't any companies that offer good deals on phones with contracts (an iPhone with a contract still costs 700$, just like an iPhone without one...). so my only option would be a used one... I hate small towns. well, at least it's still 20 degrees here in November  :dancing:

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3855 posts

sorry about the double-post, can't edit in quotes

It cost me $400, imported directly from China. Amazing value. It's actually faster than Galaxy S4 and HTC One in tests (they have the same innards), but mainly because of the smaller screen. Still!

where do you people get such good deals? the only one I could find online here is a used Mi2A for 450$ :(

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8471 posts

sorry about the double-post, can't edit in quotes

where do you people get such good deals? the only one I could find online here is a used Mi2A for 450$ :(

I bought mine here:

http://www.dhgate.co...-2-1|1875440434

$397,46 with shipping to Sweden. Probably the same shipping price to Finland.

It wasn't that exact seller, but through DHgate. DHgate is a proxy, meaning that you send the money to DHgate, the seller sends the phone to you. When you confirm that you have gotten the phone and everything is OK, then DHgate releases the money to the seller. Makes it relatively fraud safe.

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3855 posts

this system is very prone to abuse, though. I personally had items removed from parcels by postal workers right at my local post office. what happens then with my money I'm not entirely sure

ha! and the proxy seems to know about it. just looked at that link. even though I'm a lot closer to China than Sweden, shipping alone is 160$  :facepalm:

tried to check out, and it nullified all shipping costs... wth is going on? seems shipping is free if you use DHL, and to my region DHL is the only option.

Edited by sorophx, 05 November 2013 - 11:10 AM.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8471 posts

this system is very prone to abuse, though. I personally had items removed from parcels by postal workers right at my local post office. what happens then with my money I'm not entirely sure

Then you report that you didn't get your phone and they return your money.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6782 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

ZTE Awe:

9otTxN4.jpg

0d2W34s.jpg

Nothing special, nowhere near top of the line.  Dual core 1.2 GHz Snapdragon, 4 GB internal, 32 GB SDHC.  Runs Android 4.1.  Plenty good enough for me.  Enough battery life I can go about 2 days of my regular use without charging (note: I don't use it much).  It makes phone calls, it can run a GPS app, it lets me play Final Fantasy V.  I'm happy.

Edited by Keyrock, 05 November 2013 - 11:21 AM.

• sorophx likes this

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3855 posts

ugh, but how do I prove I didn't get it, if at DHL it will say postal workers handed me the parcel? as soon as I take it from the postal worker I'm responsible for its content's safety. we don't even sign for parcels at delivery, there zero accountability

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8471 posts

Try getting a package from DHL without signing for it. I dare you.

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1229 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just got a Nexus 5, it's got a 1080x1920 screen, pretty fast, I'm happy with it.

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3855 posts

Try getting a package from DHL without signing for it. I dare you.

challenge_accepted.png

actually, I've read up on Xiaomi, and they look very good from the outside :) I'm now really interested in their products

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8471 posts

My Xiaomi is easily the best phone I've owned so far. Also the only phone where complete strangers have actually come up to me to ask what kind of phone I have. Which would be a lot cooler if it was ever cute girls, but nooo.. always men.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3687 posts

Today I bought myself a (rather stupidly named) Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro XE700T1C-A01AU. I.... don't really like it, but am perhaps surprisingly okay with that.

Why? Well I guess I could say that from the outset that it was an experiment. It's a device I neither particularly wanted, nor really needed. But for $599, it's a fully-fledged ULV Ivy Bridge machine, Windows 8 of course (which I've never used before today). Convertible 11.6" tablet-slash-ultrabook in that it comes with a 'dumb' keyboard dock.

The good:

- Lovely 1080p PLS display, at 11.6" this resolution obviously looks very sharp indeed. And of course, the usual perks of PLS/IPS in superior colour reproduction and viewing angles.

- Didn't expect to get one at this price point, but there is indeed an included stylus. I have no idea how to use it properly, but still, it'll be interesting to experiment with it in the coming days.

The bad:

- With keyboard dock attached in notebook mode, the device only opens to about 120 degrees, somewhat squandering the wider viewing angles of the display.

- Being a PC essentially fully enclosed behind the screen, it's ridiculously top-heavy in notebook mode, and will tip over backwards at the slightest provocation. I guess this partly explains the restriction in the previous point.

- A 64GB eMMC device is the primary storage on this version (there's an upgraded version with a 128GB mSATA SSD as primary available). I came into this eyes open so I'm fully aware of the limitations this imposes, but if it isn't obvious: with Windows and system software fully updated, there's about, oh, 10GB available at best for user data. At least there's a microSD slot available for some breathing room. It is upgradable at least, though apparently the process is pretty finicky.

Neutral:

- RAM is unsurprisingly soldered in, so the 4GB you get is all you'll ever get. But I'm fine with that.

- The somewhat plasticky build shows the machine has been built to a price. A fine decision for the price I got it for, but for the $1300 RRP, it'd have been a big disappointment.

- Connectivity is moderate, one USB port on the tablet section, and attaching the keyboard dock adds a further two. No adaptor for the mini-HDMI output means sourcing a third-party one, which isn't easy given the standard is far from common.

- Front and rear cameras. A common tablet thing, I guess it makes it a bonus in terms of notebooks. But it's a feature I ignore.

- Keyboard is a typical chiclet type thing with flat keys and obviously limited travel. I despise chiclet type keyboards, but given that it's standard on 95%+ of current notebooks, it's just one of those things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users