What do you think, should the Blessing of Berath to be changed or removed for PotD difficulty?

Should the Blessing of Berath to be changed or removed for PotD difficulty?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Blessing of Berath to be changed or removed for PotD difficulty?

• No, it hardly makes a difference
    • Removed - it gives too many advantages
    • Changed/nerfed - it gives too many advantages, so should be changed/nerfed
    • Partially Changed/nerfed/removed - some gifts are harmless and others are too strong
    • I will never play PotD, so i don't care

It hardly makes a difference for most players tbh. The vast majority of players don't actually play this to get a challange, they play it for the story. I don't want it easy, but I have no need for being punished either. I would not mind if BoB was gone either.

I think its a shame so many people use RPG's to hunt achivements and promote themselves, instead of simply playing the game and enjoying them. Nobody is forcing anyone to use BoB

• Like 6

No reason to remove them. If anything, this game promote multiple playthrough than even the first one and Berath blessing is a major assist tool for it.

It's also an option anyway so you can either choose to use it or not use it. Removing options is never a good idea. That and like Sonny states, I kinda wish people stop turning every PvE game into some kind of self-gimp hard mode epeen contest.

• Like 6

If you don't want to use it, then don't? I don't see how it really matters in a single player game.

The golden rule of single-player game is that the vocal backseat player gets the final say in deciding how the game should be played.

Perfect example being Undertale.

• Like 3

It hardly makes a difference for most players tbh. The vast majority of players don't actually play this to get a challange, they play it for the story. I don't want it easy, but I have no need for being punished either. I would not mind if BoB was gone either.

I think its a shame so many people use RPG's to hunt achivements and promote themselves, instead of simply playing the game and enjoying them. Nobody is forcing anyone to use BoB

We speak only about POTD diffculty, the purpose of which challenge. If you don't want challange, just choose a veteran. IMO, BoB ruin the purpose of PotD.

Edited by PIRI
  • Like 1

We speak only about POTD diffculty, the purpose of which challenge. If you don't want challange, just choose a veteran. IMO, BoB ruin the purpose of PotD.

Not according to the devs them since they're the one putting it there in the first place as an option. If anything, they can even buff enemies in PotD so you need blessing to slightly even the playing ground.

Wtf is Blessing of Berath?

When  you complete an achievement, you get a few points of blessing.

Every time you start a new game with blessing points unlocked, X blessing can be spent to get some early game boost.

Some option include

start with 5k gold

Start with 50k gold

Start the game at level 4

Stat with more stat or skill point

And so on.

No reason to remove them. If anything, this game promote multiple playthrough than even the first one and Berath blessing is a major assist tool for it.

It's also an option anyway so you can either choose to use it or not use it. Removing options is never a good idea. That and like Sonny states, I kinda wish people stop turning every PvE game into some kind of self-gimp hard mode epeen contest.

"i kinda wish people stop turning every PvE game into some kind of self-gimp hard mode epeen contest."

This is the problem right here, the extreme ignorance of those that either can't handle harder difficulties or just don't like to be challenged. 

Here is why i play harder difficulties and it's not to try stretch my epeen:

"It doesn't seem like a very important thing and some may see it as just for a few wannabe hardcore players, but the reason why i play the hardest difficulty is it brings out the mechanics best in a game and makes the progression that much more rewarding. You need to know how to play a game properly and use all of its mechanics - on easier difficulties there's no point in even having half the mechanics in a game, thereby dumbing it down. You never want to dumb down gameplay in a game, or have that as the only option. Which is why i believe higher difficulties are the pinnacle of a game and the reason why balancing the harder difficultys imo is one of the most important things there is."

Or you know, you can go through and faceroll on normal and not need half the mechanics (especially in an awesome tactical pause-based RPG combat system, with tons of variety and depth and the added coolness of subclasses and multiclasses) dumbing the game down into nothing more than an interactive novel.

Gl with that, just don't persecute me for wanting more...

Edited by whiskiz
  • Like 3

I don't see why it would ruin PotD. Some people will want to play on the most difficult level but doing some things differently. For example:

- playing solo with the stat bonus

- with enough money to buy a better boat and going straight to more difficult battles

- being able to hire a full party of custom companions

- starting at level 4 to skip the first area quickly

Also, if they add "Berath's Curses" then you could make the game much more interesting by combining good and bad stuff.

Instead of removing these options, I suggest that they add more achievements for those who don't use BoBs. It would be like those Triple Crown or Ultimate ones from PoE.

• Like 2

sign.jpg

Oh, I wasn't even aware of these.

*shrug* people who like a challenge, or people who like a well balanced experience, won't choose them. People who are too busy, like god mode, or are experimenting with weird options, can use them (as well as the console). I don't see an issue. It's not like I need to prove to anybody that my achievement badges (whatever they are) are real or whatever.

• Thanks 1

If you don't want to use it, then don't? I don't see how it really matters in a single player game.

This ^

Blessings of Berath is 100% optional, you could have 100 points and still elect not to use any of them.  You are not forced to pick perks when you make a new game.  Also people act like they are huge?  Starting at level 4?  Getting some bonus stats?  Getting to start the game with fine equipment?  Hardly god mode.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 6

Leave them as is. Using them is entirely optional so I don't see the problem. Also I plan on having some PoTD runs at some stage. And I personally would use them. Mainly for story/role playing, after all the watcher should have some benefits from previous adventures, he/she is hardly a newbie. So they make sense from that point of view. Also, most of them are hardly broken. Only the stat bonuses could be an issue if you are a min/maxer. The only time they should not be used is on the build forum.

• Like 4

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Absolutely not, the devs should make POTD for the 1% of really intense gamers. POTD with blessings should make it possible for the rest.

(I'm certainly not in the 1%, but blessings make it possible to please the most people)

I don't know. On the one hand, why should Path of the Damned be blessed ( :p ), on the other, why if you can opt not to do it? I feel like this is more of an achievement thing, where some people consider it cheating and they want a badge saying they did it w/o.

Also, where is there any info on this? I've seen myself getting them but have no idea what they are supposed to do.

nvAeseu.png

To be honest, only the stats blessing is anything substantial, everything else is quality of life. Explored map? You would have gotten it for free with some time spent anyway. 50k gold? You will be swimming in that stuff soon enough. The vendor is useful for wizards. Fine quality, lul. 5k gold, lul. Lvl 4, lul. Expert captain, lul.

"i kinda wish people stop turning every PvE game into some kind of self-gimp hard mode epeen contest."

This is the problem right here, the extreme ignorance of those that either can't handle harder difficulties or just don't like to be challenged. 

"It doesn't seem like a very important thing and some may see it as just for a few wannabe hardcore players, but the reason why i play the hardest difficulty is it brings out the mechanics best in a game and makes the progression that much more rewarding. You need to know how to play a game properly and use all of its mechanics - on easier difficulties there's no point in even having half the mechanics in a game, thereby dumbing it down. You never want to dumb down gameplay in a game, or have that as the only option. Which is why i believe higher difficulties are the pinnacle of a game and the reason why balancing the harder difficultys imo is one of the most important things there is."

Or you know, you can go through and faceroll on normal and not need half the mechanics (especially in an awesome tactical pause-based RPG combat system, with tons of variety and depth) dumbing the game down into nothing more than an interactive novel.

There's a reason why it's an optional bonus.

Hard core players don't get persecuted for making their own life harder. They get persecuted when they keep pushing their own definition of hard on everyone else by being a louder minority. No one likes to hear it when someone go "Good job BUTTttTTTttt I did it better!"

• Like 3

I think special achievements can be the solution. I didn't see difficulty achievement moreover.

In an other hand, Blessing of Berath options for more challenging game is very stimulant too. For this moment, Deadfire is a sweet walk in the park even in "POTD" but Normal and Veteran are also too easy.

Or you know, you can go through and faceroll on normal and not need half the mechanics (especially in an awesome tactical pause-based RPG combat system, with tons of variety and depth) dumbing the game down into nothing more than an interactive novel.

I'm totally agree with you, Potd ( and Veteran too IMO) are the way for used ALL aspects of the deep mechanics and tactics of the game ( crafting, spell, bonus rest, theorycraft, building levelling, team synergy and roleplay choice).

If this levels of difficulty can be completed without this skills and level of comprehension it's a shame and a real trouble. If this mechanics are in the game it's not for nothing...

Playing a CRPG without challenging and without pain is good for easy or normal, not for more.

Edited by DaKatarn

There's a reason why it's an optional bonus.

Hard core players don't get persecuted for making their own life harder. They get persecuted when they keep pushing their own definition of hard on everyone else by being a louder minority. No one likes to hear it when someone go "Good job BUTTttTTTttt I did it better!"

And a reward for difficulty must be a real reward for a minimum of pain, if it's an automatic formality it's just an egalitarian joke.

If Veteran or POTD are too difficult, stay in Normal and you are not made for more and the ultimate reward. It's not a shame, it's why many levels of difficulty are here.

Edited by DaKatarn