I really like the concept of being a Mage Slayer. Casters bring great utility/damage to a fight, and I want to be the one to shut that down. Leaping to a blackline caster and ruining his/her/its day sounds like a lot of fun. However...

Is the Mage Slayer really any better at this then just melting a caster down with Berseker... Or just any high dps character in general? Dead is a better disruption after-all. There is no information on how effective " spell disruption" is in the ability description. (Stacking, %chance, etc.)

Is Mage Slayer just a meme, or does the Mage Slayer really perform well in the role of denying casters. Any thoughts on this?

• 3 weeks later...

The half duration on their own buffs and the ability to resist positive buffs and heals from their team mates just makes for a bad joke.

If you want to kill casters in the back, and everything in between as well, just use Charge or Flagellent's Path. My team doesn't need to rest after battle but they sure do need a shower to wash off all those exploded gibs from one shotting the enemy parties.

• Like 5

Maia with her gunhawk passive giving her incredible range makes the best mageslayer imo, lol.  Use the scout multi class since the rogue attacks all cause interrupts on hit.

Mageslayer has the tools to do the job.  Rogues can use full attacks that interrupt though (not to mention blind and hobble), plus gain battlefield mobility earlier than Mageslayer.  Shattered Pillar is also great at interrupting, between force of anguish and rooting pain, but gains battlefield mobility a bit later. 

Edited by Climhazzard

Charge/Flagellant's Path is the best openning ability to kill mages.

Concussive Tranquilizer is not only the best ability to remove mage defense spells, but also the best way to kill a fighter, as it removes Unbending.

Backstab with an arquebus is the best way to one shot mages.
Edited by dunehunter

While Mage Slayer does have some quirks that make it especially good at killing mages, mages (backline casters in general) are easy to kill.  With everyone and their dog having a way to deal with casting (interrupts are powerful, prone casters are useless, etc...) the weaknesses aren't worth specializing into the subclass.

Mages in this game should have a few spells they prebuff with to make fighting them slightly more interesting.  They don't even need trigger spells like in BG since there are so many good instant cast buffs anyways.  If they at least cast a mirror image and something that gives them concentration at the start of the fight they'd be much more threatening. 

Not that it would make mage slayer particularly more valuable at killing mages than other classes.

Okay, so remember how BG2's Wizard Slayer was absolutely godawful?

This is that.

What's funny is that it feels almost deliberate!

Hmmm, BG2 arcane casters are called "Mages" and there is a "Wizard Slayer" class that sucks. PoE arcane casters are called "Wizards" and there is "Mage Slayer" class that sucks.

You're right,  Sawyer is trolling us!

Well, we fell for it, fair play to him.

• Like 2

Mages in this game should have a few spells they prebuff with to make fighting them slightly more interesting.  They don't even need trigger spells like in BG since there are so many good instant cast buffs anyways.  If they at least cast a mirror image and something that gives them concentration at the start of the fight they'd be much more threatening. 

Not that it would make mage slayer particularly more valuable at killing mages than other classes.

+1 Like the BG2 tactical mod ;)

IMO the Swashbuckler does a a amazing job for slaying the back ranks. Charge gives huge mobility, and rogue abilities kill or disable quick. My Swashbuckler also was my off tank, so was able to keep the back row busy if I wanted so.  I preferred this style over just one long ranged dps like. But i wonder with the new enhanced difficulty patch if the survivability will hold. if it becomes a problem, i have to switch back to far ranged dps.  This all being said, i wonder like the poster what is the addition value of a Mage slayer compared to a Swashbuckler? 

I'm running a Brawler (Shattered Pillar + Devoted), and with so many stride bonuses from my passives, items + Pallegina, Concelhaut lasted about 4 seconds. I can rush anywhere super fast and land 50-80 dmg crits very fast while passively knocking them prone thanks to the gauntlets bought from a Neketakan merchant that I forgot the name of. Don't even need any mobility talent, like Flagellant's Path, I'm just super fast.

And if that's not enough, my MC can stand their ground easily on the frontline with a little backline support, so not even squishy.

Edited by Vaneglorious

If someone goes Brawler (Shattered Pillar + Devoted), what would be recommended weapon for devoted?

1H Sword for dual dmg type?

Some of the fast weapon (rapier) for even more rolls for crits?

Which weapons are worthy devotion?

If someone goes Brawler (Shattered Pillar + Devoted), what would be recommended weapon for devoted?

I strongly recommend to use fists. Much more accuracy and dps. Anything could work, I suppose, but fists are just way too good.

I strongly recommend to use fists. Much more accuracy and dps. Anything could work, I suppose, but fists are just way too good.

Fists are better at the beginning when you don't have good enchanted weapons. From the mid to end game however, the enchantments are far superior to whatever marginal advantage the fists have.

The weapons has enchantment and that i view as advantage. At least it is more fun if we can randomly stun enemies.

Also with Berath blessing i could acquire decent weapons fairly early, or fetch Modwyr, which steers toward 1h Swords.

However maybe 1h Swords arent that great for Brawler, and there could be better effects with some other sticks.

Fists are better at the beginning when you don't have good enchanted weapons. From the mid to end game however, the enchantments are far superior to whatever marginal advantage the fists have.

Seems like it'd be good for something where you can't get the strong weapons until later in the game, then.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I'm using fists for the classic monk RP (it's also after the class' namesake hehe). I'm already doing pretty sick damage, so weapons would only make me more OP than I already am tbh.