So I was thinking about doing a run with a wonderful trio on potd, since it's still 2 months away for Deadfire.

I'd like some suggestions for class combinations and builds.

I was thinking maybe Stormcaller cipher with paladin tank and a priest, but that's just one that comes to mind. I was thinking maybe a chanter for tank, but I personally found chanter tanks to be quite frail.

• Like 1

Wizard doesn't need anything specific to tank. Though if you mean the more traditional sword and board style, they can do that as well. Just look at all the skills and you will get the idea. Plus, if the priest gives the crown, then anything is a tank. 

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Wizard doesn't need anything specific to tank. Though if you mean the more traditional sword and board style, they can do that as well. Just look at all the skills and you will get the idea. Plus, if the priest gives the crown, then anything is a tank. 

Of course, but I was thinking if all of them should have a small shield and and 1h weapon, along with the shield talent.

I'd go for a Citzal's Spirit Lance Wizard, then a priest of Skaen with Firebrand (Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer + Forgemaster Gloves) and a Priest of Berath with Tidefall. All of them would use Veteran's Recovery I guess.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Personally I consider paladin, cipher and priest the best overall trio because it has great synergy and versatility, it doesn't require constant resting and by the end of the game it can deal with any encounter without any difficulty because of Defensive Mindweb.

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1

Personally I consider paladin, cipher and priest the best overall trio because it has great synergy and versatility, it doesn't require constant resting and by the end of the game it can deal with any encounter without any difficulty because of Defensive Mindweb.

So weird, I was thinking the same lol. I haven't started it yet, so. Would you make the paladin a dedicated tank and later go with Tidefall or something? What about the cipher? I finished the game with a Stormcaller cipher a week ago, and since then it's become my favourite class. Having a versatile spellcaster with good auto attacks and infinite spells is nice.

Personally I would build the paladin like a solo tank because he should ensure the survival of your party and always be the last man standing (and should stay like this until the end for Defensive Mindweb). For the cipher I would start as a ranged fighter/cc and then evolve towards a 2w fighter with 0% recovery later. 

PS. A Skaen priest can become also a pretty good melee fighter under Defensive Mindweb.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd go for a Citzal's Spirit Lance Wizard, then a priest of Skaen with Firebrand (Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer + Forgemaster Gloves) and a Priest of Berath with Tidefall. All of them would use Veteran's Recovery I guess.

Dear Boeroer, I love your builds. Can you please elaborate a little bit more about that? How would you build a Citzal's Spirit Lance mage? Or a Skaen firebrand priest?

• Like 1

Erm, pretty straightforward? ;)

The wizard would make use of self buffs and some talents that boost his weapon damage (Two Handed Style, Weapon Focus, Savage Attack etc.). As long as there's no SPirit Lance he would use the Parasitic Staff. Infuse with Vital Essence is a good thing when using Veteran's Recovery. I think he would also be my mechanics guy

The priest of Skaen would take the Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer and Forgemaster Gloves, Prey on the Weak, Weapon Focus, Apprentice's Sneak Attack, Scion of Flame, Two Handed Style, Savage Attack.

Both priests would take Inspiring and Aggrandizing Radiance and all chars would max out MIG and INT. Inspiring Radiance stacks with itself so at the start of every encounter you would have +20 stackable ACC to land a great disable with the wizard and then go to town with the lance/burning great sword/Tidefall.

Either the wizard or the Skaen Priest would be my main and take Merciless Hand and later Dungeon Delver.

• Like 1

Erm, pretty straightforward? ;)

The wizard would make use of self buffs and some talents that boost his weapon damage (Two Handed Style, Weapon Focus, Savage Attack etc.). As long as there's no SPirit Lance he would use the Parasitic Staff. Infuse with Vital Essence is a good thing when using Veteran's Recovery. I think he would also be my mechanics guy

The priest of Skaen would take the Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer and Forgemaster Gloves, Prey on the Weak, Weapon Focus, Apprentice's Sneak Attack, Scion of Flame, Two Handed Style, Savage Attack.

Both priests would take Inspiring and Aggrandizing Radiance and all chars would max out MIG and INT. Inspiring Radiance stacks with itself so at the start of every encounter you would have +20 stackable ACC to land a great disable with the wizard and then go to town with the lance/burning great sword/Tidefall.

Either the wizard or the Skaen Priest would be my main and take Merciless Hand and later Dungeon Delver.

Thank you so much! Never played a party without at least one of your builds (currently playing with the witch doctor and sorcerer's apprentice: lots of fun!) and I'd love to try a melee mage, especially along with these priests. I searched a little bit in the forums but I found only the tidefall priest build... so I could not refrain from asking. :)

I'm playing normally on PotD, do you think it would be okay to go with dumped RES with both the priests and the mage or would it make act I too difficult ? Would you aim for zero recovery on the mage or stick to heavier armor also in later stages of the game?

Since a wizard can have Spirit Shield and also Iron skin he can go for 0 recovery with Gauntlets of Swift Action + DAoM and a durganized padded armor.

Inthe early game I would prefer heavy armor though- Wizards' endurance and health are low. :)

Since there's Spirit Shield and plenty of Holy Meditations and later Crowns you can drop RES a bit, but I wouldn't dump it completely I think. It's too tedious to always cast a spell just to balance out the low RES in the early game.

The Skaen Priest also needs recovery boosts. Since you can't enchant Firebrand you will need other speed buffs to make him hit faster - for example Mourning Gloves or Gauntlets of Swift Action as well. Maybe Outlander's Frenzy is a thing.

By the way I love the Skaen Cultist robes with the Executioner's Hood - and then wielding Firebrand. :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Barbarian, Cipher, Priest.

Cipher has huge amounts of control plus some of the best single-target spells in the game.  The AOE confuse simply is not replaceable as far as turning the enemies' numbers against them.

Priest has knockdown CC from traps plus much-needed buffs, heals and most importantly, condition immunities.  With only 3 members, you CAN NOT afford to have one of them CC'd.

Barb with apprentice sneak attack profits from AOE flanking from phantom foes, and later on can feed the cipher more focus then they can realistically spend with reaping knives.

Weaken (from painful interdiction) and sicken(from barb) are the major affflictions that reduce BOTH fort and will.  In POTD you're never going to get fort low enough for brutal, but the will debuff is very nice for the cipher as well as the fort helping the knockdown level 1 power.

Edited by Manty5

3 chanter.

You can choose dragon trashed + max defences route for a barbecue run

OR

All dual wield aggro route abusing the " courage thick as steel" phrase (3x 30 pt shield = immortality).

In both case only minimal micro is involved

• 2 weeks later...

Barbarian, Cipher, Priest.

Cipher has huge amounts of control plus some of the best single-target spells in the game.  The AOE confuse simply is not replaceable as far as turning the enemies' numbers against them.

Priest has knockdown CC from traps plus much-needed buffs, heals and most importantly, condition immunities.  With only 3 members, you CAN NOT afford to have one of them CC'd.

Barb with apprentice sneak attack profits from AOE flanking from phantom foes, and later on can feed the cipher more focus then they can realistically spend with reaping knives.

Weaken (from painful interdiction) and sicken(from barb) are the major affflictions that reduce BOTH fort and will.  In POTD you're never going to get fort low enough for brutal, but the will debuff is very nice for the cipher as well as the fort helping the knockdown level 1 power.

I like the idea. Although I stopped using the barb aura that sickens, because enemy ciphers pretty much stunlock me forever.