The Movie Thread Returns

Amentep

Radius (2017, via Netflix) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6097798/

Low-key, more talk than action sci-fi thriller. Great premise that starts off pretty well, has a slowish middle section with some tension-build moments, a big reveal and an abrupt ending that actually surprised me. I mean, I guessed/realized what was going to happen about 5-10 seconds before it did, but it surprised me in that it went that direction.

Acting is serviceable but nothing stellar and the sci-element isn't interested in science or explanations so don't expect that, it's just a framework for other ... morality? what-ifs? ... issues to ponder, Stephen King or Twilight Zone style perhaps. So...interesting little film that despite feeling a bit lackluster, still leaves an impression. I might give it 6.5/10. Worth a try if you're bored.

I'd avoid watching trailer first tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No comments about Avengers? No one's rushed out and seen it yet?

I know someone who saw it already, they thought it was awesome. He's a pretty big Marvel film fan tho. I'm still superhero fatigued, I might catch it on video.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I enjoyed it. Not a lot I csn say about it that isn't a spoiler.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Dragon

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1718199/

Kung phooey movie. Really good martial arts movies with a deep and moving story. It starts off rather disarmingly, looking like a badly choreographed Jackie Chan slapstick Fu inspired pastiche, that turns into an investigation revolving around the dead bad guys, that leads to an investigation of the guy that killed them by accident. Everything is connected.

The trailer is a HUGE SPOILER, viewer discretion.

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

I spoiled myself with who lives and dies in the Avengers. A few surprises for me!

Don't worry, this movie felt so much like a comic book crossover event that you never stop feeling like they'll obviously reset the whole thing. The accuracy is uncanny.

Half the casualties having sequels in active development doesn't help.

I've got tickets to go see it in a few hours

I didn't love it. I think it's the first Marvel movie that I've had zero desire to rewatch.

When is the next movie to undo everything this movie did.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Was at the cinema last night and saw the Avengers poster....just too many people in the cast...i think something like that dilutes the experience for me.

I saw The Cured instead.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3463106/

It's Ireland's contribution to the zombie apocalypse genre.

There was an outbreak, a cure was found, those treated, still remember what they did. They are repatriated back to their homes, their families and authorities hate them. Those not cured are going to be exterminated.

The Cured figure, once the uncured are exterminated, The Cured will be next, so they become terrorists, bombing army barracks etc.

While there are plenty of zombies, the film revolves around a brother and sister in law and the guy that created the brother as a zombie and helped him kill the woman's husband during the outbreak, plus a doctor trying to find a cure for the Uncured that are left.

Low budget, but still carries it self well, with a rather abrupt ending, I would actually like to see a bigger budget version .

https://youtu.be/fSutgzDY_I4

Edited by Fiach

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

I've got tickets to go see it in a few hours

I didn't love it. I think it's the first Marvel movie that I've had zero desire to rewatch.

When is the next movie to undo everything this movie did.

Next year.  May 3, 2019.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I just wanted to add that I didn't think the movie was bad or anything but that the stakes are so obviously artificial that there's no investment. There are a lot of cool scenes and moments but not a lot of point to it all.

I'm not sure that even the pre-Snapture deaths of Loki, Heimdall, Gamora, and Vision will stick.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm anticipating it's going to play out much like X-Man Apocalypse. Galactically powerful baddies end up being the definition of artificial and contrived.

I wish they'd get back a focus on character development, but they like to string it a long worse than even dbz.

I really liked it. Only complaint I have is that early Hulk/Banner scenes feel like badly out of place comic relief.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Watched Pacific Rim: Uprising.

Not sure what the critics are on when they say this is worse than the first one. This was... almost a movie while the first one was just pretty in del Torro's usual unique visual style. And while I could see the twist coming (no, wait, they even spelled out the twist in dialogue the first minutes) the actual implementation was better than anticipated.

Eh, of course it's still saddled with the inanities of the setting but at least this time around nobody's pretending that one of the Jaegers is actually analogue and can withstand an EMP (while still having the usual brain to mech interface, right). ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Watched Pacific Rim: Uprising.

Not sure what the critics are on when they say this is worse than the first one. This was... almost a movie while the first one was just pretty in del Torro's usual unique visual style. And while I could see the twist coming (no, wait, they even spelled out the twist in dialogue the first minutes) the actual implementation was better than anticipated.

Eh, of course it's still saddled with the inanities of the setting but at least this time around nobody's pretending that one of the Jaegers is actually analogue and can withstand an EMP (while still having the usual brain to mech interface, right). ;)

Eh, I felt the opposite. Considering the spectacle is the only thing that made the original worth being a film instead of a saturday morning cartoon, this one was a waste of time entirely.

I'll take 'just pretty in Del Toro's style' over this any day, since that means it had atmosphere, pacing, dynamic choreography, scene composition, good sound design and all those things any action movie should have to be, at least, watcheable. Uprising had some of the worst and most boring action scenes I've ever seen. The worst creature feature since Godzila 98.

The worst creature feature since Godzila 98.

Hey, that had a good soundtrack at least.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&q=jamiroquai+deeper+underground&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLSz9U3MEw3S07KVeLVT9c3NEyqMLCMT8ky0BLNTrbSzy0tzkzWT8xJKs21Ks7PSy8GAJr8SXM0AAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiW4ZuOk-XaAhViyFQKHVOkCugQri4I4QEwGA&biw=1190&bih=718

Holy crud, Silverchair. :p

P-Diddy and Jimmy Page working together too. That whole album is crazy.

Edited by Hurlshot

Speaking of horrible creature features, I find myself unusually hyped for what looks like an awful, awful film: THE JURASSIC GAMES

SyFy style mashup between Death Race, Hunger Games, Ready Player One and Jurassic Park? I'm in, no matter how **** it looks. :lol:

A nice move.. (Even if they are all Disney now...)

31530996_1880278588714080_18044731286513

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So... I broke my no MCU in threates rule for the first time 9exception proves the rule). Largely because I love long run times. Anyways, Avengers 3 was a mixed bag. Some good, some bad, some ridiculous, some funny, but seriously overrated. Does anyone buy that nonsensical ending? No. I didn't think so.  So, basically, they believe their viewership is plain idiotic. That said, it did its job. A mostly entertaining blockbuster. 7.5/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What, specifically, did you find nonsensical about the end?

P-Diddy and Jimmy Page working together too. That whole album is crazy.

Ah hell, don't remind me. A while back I brought Something Awful's NESCover MP3s with me to work and gave them to my colleagues (streaming available, just not on YouTube). It's a bunch of songs both old and new played on an NES. Among the items is probably the best Tetris remix ever made and, uh, Led Zeppelin's Kashmir.

So one colleague starts playing Kashmir and is like "Wow, nice, Kashmir!" and my boss goes "Huh what, no that's that rapper from the Godzilla movie!" at which point I may or may not have roundhouse kicked him. Geez. ;(

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

"What, specifically, did you find nonsensical about the end?"

if I spoil it people will cry.  And, no, I don't use spoiler tags. That is for wussies.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'll try to remember to ask again in a couple of months.

• Like 1