Politics Thread: 13 Ghosts

Blarghagh

Because US presidents are not elected for life like Europe. In 2020 someone else will be president, and they will have some ideas that you support and we will all go "HUZZAH!" until there is an idea we do not support and then they will be a bum too. Its the circle of life. :yes: Just dont get too wound up in the mean time.

I don't think Presidents anywhere are elected for life (well ok, we'll ignore dictatorships :p), only heads of state that get that are monarchs.  Different systems mean the more effective head comes from the legislature, so I guess technically you can be PM for life but pretty unlikely as you have to fight the other party as well as your own members.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Also, it's less 'too close to call' and more 'we have no clue because the polls are all over the place'. Nate Silver has a nice primer about the polls https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-the-hell-is-happening-with-these-alabama-polls/

You're right, I misremembered the article I'd read on the polls earlier this morning.

what? There is also 2 terms limit for presidents..

Ah youre right, I mixed up Chancellor and President.

Or Trump could be a one term president. Stranger things have happened.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't think Presidents anywhere are elected for life (well ok, we'll ignore dictatorships :p), only heads of state that get that are monarchs.  Different systems mean the more effective head comes from the legislature, so I guess technically you can be PM for life but pretty unlikely as you have to fight the other party as well as your own members.

Merkel has been Chancellor for 12 years!  :wacko: They also seem to be able to call random snap elections on a whim whenever something isn't working out for their party.

And to top it all off, the next US president will spend a few years trying to roll back the current president policies to teach him a lesson.

Or Trump could be a one term president. Stranger things have happened.

I expect him to be a one term president.

Well comes with having a Parliament, the President can dissolve it and have elections.   Usually that stuff is done when the government is a minority though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Because US presidents are not elected for life like Europe. In 2020 someone else will be president, and they will have some ideas that you support and we will all go "HUZZAH!" until there is an idea we do not support and then they will be a bum too. Its the circle of life. :yes: Just dont get too wound up in the mean time.

What are you on about? In Europe officials are usually not elected for life, and I'd like to know who exactly shrugs and goes "he supports slavery? Oh well, it takes all kinds and it's the circle of life."

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Somewhat amused Barkley is getting flak from some for saying if Alabamans vote for Moore, people will think them idiots.  Don't most people think Alabama is chock full of dumb redneck types, anyway ? :p

• Like 1

Looking like it'll be a glorious victory for the Grand Old Predators!

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Looking like it'll be a glorious victory for the Grand Old Predators!

As expected.  Sports or political parties are the same things, the shirt forgives all sin :lol:

• Like 2

The New York Times is actually expecting Moore to lose right this moment. Though the current results favor Moore, it seems that's because the precincts that have reported so far were expected to lean towards him. So I guess we'll wait and see.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/alabama-senate-special-election-roy-moore-doug-jones

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

The New York Times is actually expecting Moore to lose right this moment. Though the current results favor Moore, it seems that's because the precincts that have reported so far were expected to lean towards him. So I guess we'll wait and see.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/alabama-senate-special-election-roy-moore-doug-jones

We all know how political projections go these days.

• Like 2

We all know how political projections go these days.

Especially ones with major controversies that make voters difficult to judge. Five Thirty Eight is very slightly leaning Moore, while NYT continues to favor Jones by a little more than 538's leaning.

(e): NYT is now leaning Jones mildly more than before, and 538, though initially favoring Moore at the start of the race, has swung to Jones.

(e): Looking more and more like Jones will win. NYT has Jones at almost 85% with 86% of precincts reporting.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Seems like NYT has all but called it for Jones now at >95% chance of winning. Almost all of the heavily conservative-leaning precincts have been counted, and he's behind by a full point with more liberal-leaning areas to go. I hope it goes up to where they're projecting, around 3 points.

(e): The AP has officially called it for Doug Jones. Congratulations, Democrats.

(e): Seems like he won't get as high as the previous 3, looks like it'll be more like 1-1.5.

Edited by Bartimaeus