What does power level do for non-casters?

As topic, there are spells and inspiration/affliction that +/- power level, so for casters power level means the power of their spells, but for non-casters, what does power level do? For example, frenzy from barbarian or flame of devotion from paladin, what the point of power level for them??

I believe power level also determines how good abilities are: the higher power lvl the more effective they will become.

Power level is also a recource you use during combat. I will use monk as an example. He uses to recources - mortification and wounds. Wounds work the same as they did in the original. You get hit and you gain wounds (with some variables depending on subclass.) Some abilities will require certain amount of woulds to use. However, there are also abilities which consume "mortification." Mortification is "per encounter" recource and is determined by power level. So higher power level = more effective abilities (I belive, someone might need to comfirm it) but for sure more ability use per encounter.

What does power level do for non-casters?

Tbh, I don't know.

What was power level intended to do?

The idea was that power level will provide a gradual scaling to effectiveness of your spells of abilities.

It was especially important in the initial multiclassing model where someone could easily built a lvl 19 barbarian / lvl 1 rogue; because getting +0.5 damage coefficient from SA from dipping just 1 level in rogue was too effective and could make single-class characters pale in comparison. Imagine dipping for carnage, soul whip or monks fist damage.

In the new model (that was revealed on 20th September in Update #40) the need for such scaling was greatly reduced, because dipping was no longer possible. Yet on 22th September Josh again mentioned that power level influences the power of abilities, e.g: their damage, duration or number of projectiles. So, according to the information that we have, frenzy (duration) and flames of devotion (damage) from your top post example should scale as well...

Btw, I have registered on Tumblr two weeks ago, in order to ask about this stuff and to clarify how does power level stack with damage coefficients (for damaging abilities) and how does it stack with graze/hit/crit/int (for cc abilities). But got no answer so far.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

But I think the new model removed a lot scales and thus a bit confused how power level affect non-caster abilities.

Seems so. The thing is this wasn't mentioned as changed yet.

I mean there is this common trope, and we seem to "live" in a "universe" with power level scaling, while Josh could already move to the next "reality/model".

Edited by MaxQuest

At least from the beta experience, a lot abilities seems to be not affected by power level...

It doesn't seems to be displayed information unless you are looking at a Wizard spell.

For example, the Ranger Wounding Shot only shows how much damage and penetration it has when getting the tooltip on the hotbar (the more details doesn't have the info). The info doesn't change with level up but I'm pretty sure my wounding shot did more than 6-10 damage at level 6...

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

At least frenzy and flame of devotion is not scaled and power level doesn't affect these. I haven't tested wounding shot yet, but are you sure u didnt have any +might or +int buff when u use it?

I didn't check the value exactly, but my ranger was hitting too hard for it being 6-10 (unless the 6-10 is for the ticks?) or my penetration was giving me 130% damage. hmm.

I do have the feeling it's not influenced by power level (Josh is a liar!), but I also feel like the tooltip is lying, lol.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.