Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

So Obsidian Writer Responsible for Eder "Resigns" and it appears this is similar situation to Firedorn Limerick

Firedorn Eder Writing Story Writer Obsidian Controversial

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

CaesarCzech

CaesarCzech

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 71 posts

Okay so apparently  Eders writer resigned or was resigned.

From what i gathered its because  on reddit  subreddit Gamerghazi identified him as man who wrote  those posts

http://i.imgur.com/n8Moni6.jpg (there is suspicion that someone on RPG codex snitched on him)

Now i normally i wouldnt be one questioning  employee resigning over controversy  but in current societal atmosphere and Obsidians mishandling of the Limerick Incident it think its reasonable to ask if Similar case happened again.    Especially considering this is not stupid Limerick that isnt going to impact the game But Writer Departing due to this incident Whetever Voluntarily  or   by the way of being Volunteered, Is going to impact the game.

And with People such as Chris Avelonne Leaving Obsidian. It makes me think if Obsidian is changing into something more Mainstream, And With Sawyer being The one of the only Senior members at Obsidian it makes me bit wary, Considering in GameDev business you need someone to tell you. No that is bad idea. Look at Molyneaux. I dont want Molyneaux type situation to happen with Sawyer.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5087 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I have no idea if or why Eric has resigned, but I do not think Obsidian mishandled that Limerick incident (others blew that far out of proportions - stuff that like that happens all the time in publishing etc.), and Sawyer appears to be a very level-headed guy who doesn't hesitate to emphasize democratic and liberal values if needs be. I don't want any other "societal atmosphere" than that. Nor should anybody else. I know what absolutism can do to societies, and it's not a pretty sight.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 06 September 2017 - 04:32 AM.

• aluminiumtrioxid, lolaldanee, PugPug and 2 others like this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4246 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
If Obsidian had fired Eric F. because reasons, they wouldn't have contracted him to write Edér for Deadfire, I would imagine.
  • illathid, anameforobsidian, Mygaffer and 1 other like this

kierun

kierun

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No background given, link to unreadable tiny green text, overboard claims not backed up by anything, appeal to SJW … Are you a troll?

• rjshae and algroth like this

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

^ True.

Hire, fire, hire, fire tactic makes no sense.

Eder being written by Eric probably is safe and sound.

I call shenanigans.

Sakai

Sakai

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 149 posts

Gamerghazi trying to ster up controversy, eh? What else is new. If this is indeed Eric, then some of what he said i agree with, some don't, but there's really nothing all that criminal. So, in short, outrage warriors can go to hell. Also, Obsidian handled the limerick pretty much the best way they could, considering the circumstances.

Juodas Varnas

Juodas Varnas

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Ah geez... Is Obsidian going Bioware's route?

I might have to rethink my purchase of Pillars 2 then...

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Oh, one more thing: Eric became a father recently-ish. I find it hard to believe that one would have so much time to make these walls of text.

Edited by Messier-31, 06 September 2017 - 05:19 AM.

• kierun and ThatUndeadLegacy like this

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2893 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think the solution here is to nuke reddit.
  • Revan91, Karkarov, rjshae and 10 others like this

CaesarCzech

CaesarCzech

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 71 posts

Oh, one more thing: Eric became a father recently-ish. I find it hard to believe that one would have so much time to make these walls of text.

its around May 2017 might be before he become father.

CaesarCzech

CaesarCzech

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 71 posts

No background given, link to unreadable tiny green text, overboard claims not backed up by anything, appeal to SJW … Are you a troll?

Why would i be troll ? critism a concern is not trolling. Hell even if we disagree about what SJW means  disagreement doesnt mean trolling.

CaesarCzech

CaesarCzech

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 71 posts

I have no idea if or why Eric has resigned, but I do not think Obsidian mishandled that Limerick incident (others blew that far out of proportions - stuff that like that happens all the time in publishing etc.), and Sawyer appears to be a very level-headed guy who doesn't hesitate to emphasize democratic and liberal values if needs be. I don't want any other "societal atmosphere" than that. Nor should anybody else. I know what absolutism can do to societies, and it's not a pretty sight.

As is idiom in my language.

What do you mean by the term democratic and liberal values Private Kefalin.

Also please note the for many of us  emphasizing the values is not necesity in game, we are looking merely for fun, so you come as little bit biased.  I hope you understand what i mean, i dont want to come across as insulting.

CaesarCzech

CaesarCzech

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 71 posts

Gamerghazi trying to ster up controversy, eh? What else is new. If this is indeed Eric, then some of what he said i agree with, some don't, but there's really nothing all that criminal. So, in short, outrage warriors can go to hell. Also, Obsidian handled the limerick pretty much the best way they could, considering the circumstances.

Eh the limerick situation isnt really about removal but about reason for removal. Bunch of pitchforks and fires. In retrospect it might been one of minor influences to read to this. If im right that is. I can be mistaken, But so far it doesnt seem to me that way.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3222 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Is Eric Fenstermaker still writing Edér in Deadfire? I had heard he'd left Obsidian but had agreed to write Edér (presumably as a contractor). Hopefully that's still the case since Edér was one of the better written characters in Pillars.

As for the main topic do we actually know that's why Eric was fired/pushed, or is it just speculation? Without knowing the answer to this question, there's not a lot to say.

CaesarCzech

CaesarCzech

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 71 posts

Is Eric Fenstermaker still writing Edér in Deadfire? I had heard he'd left Obsidian but had agreed to write Edér (presumably as a contractor). Hopefully that's still the case since Edér was one of the better written characters in Pillars.

As for the main topic do we actually know that's why Eric was fired/pushed, or is it just speculation? Without knowing the answer to this question, there's not a lot to say.

His personal info was posted on Gamerghazi, then quickly deleted after he Resigned. i guess they realized this might not look good on them.

Hopefully its just Pr move so they can say he is no longer part of Obsidian while he continues to work for them. I really do not want Mccarthism in Gaming, And it doesnt matter from which side it comes imho.

• Revan91, Karkarov and rjshae like this

Valmy

Valmy

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 953 posts
  • Steam:valmy77
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I still cannot believe anybody is upset about some text hardly anybody would ever see one way or the other.

Anyway that text that was linked to is tiny and unreadable.

Edited by Valmy, 06 September 2017 - 06:39 AM.

Valmy

Valmy

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 953 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Eh the limerick situation isnt really about removal but about reason for removal. 

They did not write the limerick. It was not part of the game.

Valmy

Valmy

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 953 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

His personal info was posted on Gamerghazi, then quickly deleted after he Resigned. i guess they realized this might not look good on them.

Hopefully its just Pr move so they can say he is no longer part of Obsidian while he continues to work for them. I really do not want Mccarthism in Gaming, And it doesnt matter from which side it comes imho.

What does not look good on who?

injurai

injurai

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1760 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

If he left because he was asked to resign, that would sound like those who had issue with his views (am I right that this is the issue?) at Obsidian won out. But here he is freelancing on Deadfire, and now people are pursuing him to ruffle up what effect? To maliciously undermine his livelihood?

This play looks bad.

• Torm51 likes this

CaesarCzech

CaesarCzech

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 71 posts

What does not look good on who?

Gamerghazi by posting personal details.  Doxing is not looked upon very kindly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Firedorn, Eder, Writing, Story, Writer, Obsidian, Controversial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users